Princess insurance for solos

DRS/NC

OK, hope I'm not starting a fire storm, but......

I understand why I must pay a single supplement when I reserve a cabin as a solo (I don't have to like it!).

I also understand that the Princess insurance cost is a percentage of the cabin fare. So, that means, as a solo, I'm also paying DOUBLE for my insurance. [i do get the free upgrade to platinum coverage.]

I'm sure that double the premium will not get me double the coverage. I guess this is another "penalty" of traveling solo. Yes, I am looking at other insurance, but I'm over 70 so that's another set of issues.

Yes, I guess I'm venting, but any advice is welcome.

I think you do get the benefit of having the full amount of the fare you paid returned if you need to cancel after final payment. However, the medical and evacuation is not doubled so that may be seen as "unfair". That said, I haven't seen a spouse evacuated with their mate so perhaps that isn't a concern?

Do you take more than one cruise a year?

If so I think you will find that even with the "higher" cost for "age" for an independent policy you will find that compared to the Princess insurance it is really not higher for a yearlong policy. AND you will get better (higher limits) medical coverage with the independent policy.

In looking at the different individual policies the only thing that made me take a second look was that they only pay out for one medical evacuation a year. But then if I was sick enough that I needed medical evacuation and transport back home I probably would not be cruising again that soon.

OK, hope I'm not starting a fire storm, but......

I understand why I must pay a single supplement when I reserve a cabin as a solo (I don't have to like it!).

I also understand that the Princess insurance cost is a percentage of the cabin fare. So, that means, as a solo, I'm also paying DOUBLE for my insurance. [i do get the free upgrade to platinum coverage.]

I'm sure that double the premium will not get me double the coverage. I guess this is another "penalty" of traveling solo. Yes, I am looking at other insurance, but I'm over 70 so that's another set of issues.

Yes, I guess I'm venting, but any advice is welcome.

Well that ticks me off! I travel solo on occasion and was not aware of that! I was bad enough when they increased the single supplement to paying full fare for two! Can anyone recommend any travel insurance companies I can check out? Thanks.

I don’t know if it helps or not, but the medical part of the insurance is the same coverage and minor cost for everyone; the real variable in cost (and coverage) is the cancellation part of the insurance. For that you are getting higher coverage for your higher cost. As is the person in a suite. And yes, a person in an inside will pay less, but so will their coverage be less.