Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I also was on the ship , near the crime. My opinion is that the company did many things wrong . They could have made several decisions the night of the murder and the next day that would not have affected us in such a negative way. I could go on and on. You had to be there to understand what I mean. Twenty five percent off on a next cruise within the next year is token.

Next time there is a murder in my city, how much should I ask off my property taxes?

For those who may be interested, below is a link to a news article describing some details of the crime.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/utah-woman-killed-alaska-cruise-murder-mystery-dinner-article-1.3364741

This is a very sad situation. My heart goes out to those who are grieving for her death. What is even sadder is the fact that people have complained about being inconvenienced by this tragedy.

I also was on the ship , near the crime. My opinion is that the company did many things wrong . They could have made several decisions the night of the murder and the next day that would not have affected us in such a negative way. I could go on and on. You had to be there to understand what I mean. Twenty five percent off on a next cruise within the next year is token.

No, the answer is not 5.

Today update https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutors-won-apos-t-seek-183705644.html

Resume: Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty & Kenneth Manzanares has pleaded not guilty.

Great reference but a little misleading in that he did not push her off the ship nor even attempted to push her off. A witness did say that he was attempting to throw her body off the balcony and was stopped when he then tried to jump off himself but again was stopped. He will probably be charged with some type of involuntary manslaughter since it was not his intention to kill her and does not carry a death sentence. Last I heard was that his lawyers were asking for a postponement of the trail while they complete the discovery phase. Problem is that the lawyers are in Seattle, killer is in Juneau in prison, witnesses are in Utah and the judge is in Anchorage They are going to get some air miles out of this case. We may not hear anything until spring. .

Involuntary manslaughter is more meant for legitimate accidents, such as mishandling a firearm and mistakenly shooting someone. The appropriate charge is 2nd degree murder since it wasn't planned/heat of the moment.

Or possibly voluntary manslaughter, if they determine that he wasn't trying to actually kill her.

I contemplated whether or not to start this thread because but I can't quote a news source yet, but from what I've been told by my professional contacts in the area, a woman was killed by her husband last night on board the ship. I'll pass more details as they become public. A press release was supposedly issued, so we should be seeing on-line news sources reporting very soon.

This is a true story.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It sounds like he went crazy and beat her to death-poor woman. I’m surprised that they’re not using an insanity defense. So awful for that family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are we sure they are not? I don't know when you have to state that. Terrible all around.

Or possibly voluntary manslaughter, if they determine that he wasn't trying to actually kill her.

Voluntary manslaughter typically is intentional killing - usually in the heat of passion, etc. Just depends what the state's statute reflects.

• 2 months later...

I read it twice, watched the IE video/report with Deborah Norville and came to the same conclusion as Bob. While I don’t doubt for a moment that this photographer has some issues after this traumatic incident, I also see the point of PCL telling him to take scene photos as evidence. While not in their normal realm of duties I can certainly see why it could be a requirement should such a need arise. I pray this never happens again on any cruise ship. I just got off the Regal a few days ago and can’t imagine the distress of having that happen on our ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also see the point of PCL telling him to take scene photos as evidence.s

I don't. I would think that you would want someone who would be available during

the trial, who can then swear that the photographs are a true and accurate representation

of the scene.

Not some contractor who will probably be unavailable at the time of the trial...