Myanmar - day trips

Wayfairers

I know you say you do not want an overnight, but if it were me I would take the time and go to Bagan. Contact an agent. There are hundreds, but I can personally recommend One Stop: http://onestopmyanmar.com/

They can put a package together for you.

We went to Myanmar a year ago as part of a land trip. We were in the country 13 nights. Yangon (Rangoon) is OK and you could easily spend two days there, but it is not as interesting as Bagan with its thousands of temples and stupas.

• 1 year later...

For those looking for info on Myanmar, we were in Yangon (at Port Thilawa) for two nights on the Oceania RTW cruise. Since information is hard to come by ... here are the two blog posts I wrote. The country's infrastructure has a long ways to go to meet tourist expectations, but we enjoyed our short time in the area nonetheless. We will be returning again in 2018 and also plan to do an overland.

Yangon: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/04/day-102-yangon-myanmar.html

Bago: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/04/day-103-yangon-myanmar.html

Our River Cruise on the Irrawaddy was one of our best journeys! The people were incredible!

Yangoon is fine with a beautiful temple and great markets....but if you can get to any of the villages it would be great and Bagan is fascinating ...my biggest regret is NOT doing the sunrise balloon ride over the area. We had done a balloon ride during an African Safari so I did not think it was worth the money...once we saw the area they flew over I was kicking myself!

Our River Cruise on the Irrawaddy was one of our best journeys! The people were incredible!

Yangoon is fine with a beautiful temple and great markets....but if you can get to any of the villages it would be great and Bagan is fascinating ...my biggest regret is NOT doing the sunrise balloon ride over the area. We had done a balloon ride during an African Safari so I did not think it was worth the money...once we saw the area they flew over I was kicking myself!

Our Overland trip is planned for next March once we get off the ship. Giving ourselves plenty of time in Bagan to do the balloon ride, and also doing a 5N cruise on M/V Paukan from Mandalay to Bagan. Would love to hear more about your river cruise in particular ... any photos to share? You're welcome to write me at this email address.

We visited Myanmar on the Volendan in February 2015 - the ship was due to be in port for three days. We had an excellent two day tour with Myanmar Shalom (returning to the ship overnight). It was fortunate that we only booked a two day tour as on day three, the ship had to leave the dock at noon and anchor in the river until sailing time.

Here are my notes - I should add that I organised the tour and posted it on the roll call:

YANGON & BAGO CITY TOUR

I have been in contact Myanmar Shalom, a Cruisecritic and Tripadviser recommended tour company based in Yangon (Rangoon). They have put together a suggested two day itinerary (below) exploring Yangon on day 1 and Bago on day 2. http://www.myanmarshalom.com

7 February 2015 - Yangon

Welcome by our tour guide at Tilawar Pier. Enjoy private tour and drive through the downtown to explore the city centre and its fabulous mix of architecture and sites. The streets are filled with historical buildings many of which have a faded colonial charm not seen elsewhere in Asia.

Start at the post office – a lovely historic building, passing by Strand Hotel, Mahabandoola Garden and Independence Monument along the way.

Then a rare visit to the over 100 year old beautiful Rangoon Synagogue featuring the amazing 120 years old Torah from Baghdad, Iraq.

Visit Little India and Chinatown – stop to greet the vendors and let them introduce you to their wares – some familiar, some exotic.

Enjoy a visit to Scott Market, the sprawling 75-year-old Market. At the market you will find a whole variety of interesting Burmese souvenirs, from lacquer ware to gems & jewelry – bargain at the stores to fully experience the Burmese market atmosphere!

Visit famous Chauk Htat Kyi, home to a 70-meter long reclining Buddha.

Photo stop at the Karaweik Hall royal floating barge.

The stunning Shwedagon Pagoda, with its glittering gold stupa. At the pagoda observe local pilgrims and monks offering their devotions and enjoy the amazing sunset view at Shwedagon pagoda. Return to Tilawar Pier.

8 February 2015 - Bago

This morning your guide and driver will greet you at the pier and embark on the drive to Bago, a 2-hour drive. Bago, also known as Pegu, was the capital of the Mon Kingdom in the 15th century and is a town steeped in legend.

The sites in Bago are spread out around the town and you'll spend the day exploring with your guide, learning about the history and myths of the city. Stops include:

The 55-metre long reclining Shwethalyaung Buddha.

The four seated Buddhas at Kyaikpun and the old palace of Kambozathadi.

The Mon-style Shwemawdaw Pagoda which is the most outstanding religious monument in Bago -this golden temple stands at 114 metres tall, higher than Yangon's Shwedagon Pagoda, and can be seen from around 10 kilometres outside of the city.

While in Bago we'll also take time to visit the city's local sites, including the town market and a Mon neighborhood where the locals produce beautiful woven textiles. A lunch stop will be made at a local restaurant during the day's touring in Bago.

From Bago we'll return to Yangon this afternoon. Before reaching the city limits, stop in Htaukkyan township to visit the Allied War Cemetery. This beautifully-landscaped, peaceful area is the final resting place for more than 27,000 Allied Soldiers who perished during the World War II campaign in Myanmar. If time permits, continue sightseeing in Yangon before returning to Tilawar Pier.

Tour cost per person: $125 (based on 10 people) Tour cost per person: $145 (Based on 4-8 people)

Cost includes:

• All transfer and sightseeing by private air conditioned van

• All entrance fees & all zone fees

• Experienced English speaking local tour guide

• Lunch each day

• Departure gift

We are doing an overnight this April on Oceania Natica with the ships tour to Bagan. We have done a few post and pre tours .with Oceania over the last 10 years and find there tours are top of the line , they are more expensive but we find them worth the price .

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app