Knife size

bigandlil

My DH purchased a knife [fancy hand carved handle] and had it in his checked luggage, when we boarded in Southampton England. We were in our cabin when we heard our cabin number over the PA system. DH had to go ashore and watch port security open his big suitcase, remove the knife and toss it into a locked metal box. He was a bit irate as knives on the ship were larger and potentially more lethal.

Darcy

We did the Baltic cruise on Royal Princess. Were going to rent a motorhome and travel Germany after the cruise. Had two large kitchen knives in one of our bags. Was told here that they would probably be confiscated. Nothing of the sort. Had them for the whole cruise in the suitcase under the bed. So guess it just depends on who is on the x-ray machine.

I've always had a tech tool Swiss Army Knife in my checked bag. Never an issue.

They did claimed I had a sword in a bag once but it was just a camera tripod, new guy needed better glasses...

framer

Also had my Swiss Army knife on my check luggage every time with no problem.

We did the Baltic cruise on Royal Princess. Were going to rent a motorhome and travel Germany after the cruise. Had two large kitchen knives in one of our bags. Was told here that they would probably be confiscated. Nothing of the sort. Had them for the whole cruise in the suitcase under the bed. So guess it just depends on who is on the x-ray machine.

This reminds me of a story from 1979. So there were x-ray scanners at airports but that was the extent of it. Work companion had a birthday celebration at office and had placed long knife from cutting cake in his attache case for taking home, but didn't remove it right away. A day or two later flew from Toronto to Atlanta and after arriving at hotel, opens case and finds knife (or was it between security and gate?). Anyway, knife was sitting on it's thin edge and wasn't picked up. The challenge then was could he get it passed on the return flight. (I don't recall that part of the story, but I think it went back in the same manner - purposely placed on edge this time and he was more careful in future about contents).

This reminds me of a story from 1979. So there were x-ray scanners at airports but that was the extent of it. Work companion had a birthday celebration at office and had placed long knife from cutting cake in his attache case for taking home, but didn't remove it right away. A day or two later flew from Toronto to Atlanta and after arriving at hotel, opens case and finds knife (or was it between security and gate?). Anyway, knife was sitting on it's thin edge and wasn't picked up. The challenge then was could he get it passed on the return flight. (I don't recall that part of the story, but I think it went back in the same manner - purposely placed on edge this time and he was more careful in future about contents).

I went through security at a courthouse for jury selection. As I sat there waiting if my # would be called, I jumped in my seat remembering my pocket knife was in my purse ... but it hadn't been seen in the xray. I went to lunch, put the knife in my car and returned to the courthouse. OMG ...

I was told by security that as long as it does not lock open they did not typically take them. They said, Old Timer or Swiss were fine but Kershaw, Spyderco, ect. were no good. I know a pax who's EDC plan has continued to be that he/she brings as many knives on board as there are ports. This way should security hold it he/she would never be without. I do not recommend this but it certainly is an option for those who show no regard for ship policy or knife laws when visiting foreign countries. YMMV

I went through security at a courthouse for jury selection. As I sat there waiting if my # would be called, I jumped in my seat remembering my pocket knife was in my purse ... but it hadn't been seen in the xray. I went to lunch, put the knife in my car and returned to the courthouse. OMG ...

I know the feeling. I once went to Mexico & when we arrived at the hotel I realized I had a few rounds of ammo in my suitcase. :eek:

Not a good thing down there. They're not very tolerant about things like that.

Does anyone know what size pocket knife will be allowed on board? On our last cruise, my husband had his pocket knife held by security for the cruise?

Thanks.

Lil

If you can't take it on a plane, you can't take it on the Ship.

If you can't take it on a plane, you can't take it on the Ship.

Not true in my experience. I always pack my Swiss Army knife in my checked bag and use it in our stateroom when we cruise. It has a 2 1/2" blade and it has never been an issue when boarding the ship. However, I would never try to board a plane with it in my hand carry bag.