Which exit at Ngau Tau Kok MTR station, HK to grab taxi to Kai Tak Cruise terminal?

Betty in Cozumel

We will be taking the MTR from Quarry Bay to Ngau Tau Kok on Sunday January 7th to catch our cruise on the Celebrity Millennium.

Does anyone know which exit we want to grab a taxi over to the cruise terminal? A, B, C or D? Wikipedia doesn't show it.

Thanks

Betty

Is there a reason why you want to use the MTR? Looking at the MTR website and Google street view, there doesn't seem to be a taxi rank but it may be possible to hail one from the street.

JMO but I would simply get a taxi from Quarry Bay to the ship and avoid the hassle.

Is there a reason why you want to use the MTR? ... I would simply get a taxi from Quarry Bay to the ship and avoid the hassle.��
Exactly my thoughts, HK Taxi are inexpensive by U.S. standards - fares are metered, although not all of them wanted to go across the harbour from QB or North Point, especially if it is around their "shift" changes and/or horse racing days, ;p My guess is that they are staying at a guest residence/AirBnB or hotel in that area ?? since the Salisbury YMCA can't possibly fit everyone pre- and post-cruise who wanted to stay right next to the Peninsula :D

But, Exit A @ NTK would likely be where the PMB & city bus routes are nearest, for the commuting public locally - it is NOT a station known nor used by visitors, might be difficult to find an empty taxi cruising by (use the eTaxi App ??) There are huge maps of all the exits & what is where ... but even the MTR Station Guide/Map do not have a Taxi Stand identified.

A good stretch of NTK Road or Kwun Tong Road are probably marked no stopping or pickup/dropoff for passengers - even if you see an empty taxi cruising by without its "off-duty" lights turned on.

It is also an ELEVATED station platform & OP will need to haul & manage luggage & bags to the street level or find her/his way via the accessible escalators and/or elevators.

If OP really wish to go frugal & take the MTR across, ride one more stop to Kowloon Bay ... at Telford Gardens/Plaza with the multi-story retail malls ... as there are usually taxi stands at these places, or 2 stops to Diamond Hills for the same. I can confirm that at the Wong Tai Sin MTR Station, that there is a taxi stand ... usually the line moved quickly, as locals do use them for a short & fast trip going "uphill" instead of walking.

I would stick with Kowloon Bay or Diamond Hills MTR Stations as a better bet to find a taxi stand with good availability, for the short ride over to Kai Tak C.T. - practically the same distance vs. the NTK Station. The free shopping mall shuttles from KTCT also drop off & pick up ship passengers from the 2 stations ... along with the bus & mini bus (PMB) route.

Unless there is a resident CC expats who's familiar with the MTR logistics and can advise otherwise.

Is there a reason why you want to use the MTR? Looking at the MTR website and Google street view, there doesn't seem to be a taxi rank but it may be possible to hail one from the street.

JMO but I would simply get a taxi from Quarry Bay to the ship and avoid the hassle.��

Thanks Omega1 but we are very familiar with the MTR and use it for everything. My husband is from HK and this will be my 9th visit. We are arriving before our cruise and getting an Octopus card at the airport. We will also be back to Hong Kong for five days post cruise.

Getting a taxi on HK island and having to go through the tunnel will be expensive. Trying to keep costs down as we will be traveling for a total of 30 days.

Thanks mking8288 for more useful information. Yes were are staying at a hotel near Quarry Bay MTR to be close to my mother-in-law. You provided the information I was looking for. Going to Kowloon Bay or even Diamond Hill (which I've been to many times to catch buses to Sai Kung) to find a taxi stand. We have traveled the MTR hundreds of times and yes we are aware of the many escalators/elevators we will have to transverse but we are traveling quite light.

We even looked at the North Point ferry that stops at the old fire station at Kai Tak but it is a 14 minute walk to get inside the cruise terminal. Not sure I want to do that if the weather is bad.

Edited by Betty in Cozumel

... We even looked at the North Point ferry that stops at the old fire station at Kai Tak but it is a 14 minute walk to get inside the cruise terminal ...

... OK, now that I have a much better idea about your MTR expertise, etc. Friend of mine stayed at the Ibis @ NP several years ago with a great harbourview & as oversea Chinese, learned to navigate the ferries in getting around - not something the average CC doing Hong Kong can easily master on their 1st. or 2nd. visit :p

If your hotel is close enough to the NP pier, what about taking the ferry across to To Kwa Wan instead - that ferry route is much better & frequent, regular scheduled services, since you are packing light - unlike that KT Ferry with weekend & holiday service schedules ... very confusing to visitors. Once you get outside the pier, taxi stand is to your right - (toward Grand Waterfront Plaza & next to the bus terminals & PMB stops)

It's easy to then take Kai Tak Tunnel toward the cruise terminal, taxi ride would be longer than from Kowloon Bay or Diamond Hill - but, fairly straightforward without the need to find the correct MTR exit, etc. Plus, no escalators or elevators to street level.

This isn't for the average or typical CC visitors to HK, just to be very, very clear.

... OK, now that I have a much better idea about your MTR expertise, etc. Friend of mine stayed at the Ibis @ NP several years ago with a great harbourview & as oversea Chinese, learned to navigate the ferries in getting around - not something the average CC doing Hong Kong can easily master on their 1st. or 2nd. visit :p

If your hotel is close enough to the NP pier, what about taking the ferry across to To Kwa Wan instead - that ferry route is much better & frequent, regular scheduled services, since you are packing light - unlike that KT Ferry with weekend & holiday service schedules ... very confusing to visitors. Once you get outside the pier, taxi stand is to your right - (toward Grand Waterfront Plaza & next to the bus terminals & PMB stops)

It's easy to then take Kai Tak Tunnel toward the cruise terminal, taxi ride would be longer than from Kowloon Bay or Diamond Hill - but, fairly straightforward without the need to find the correct MTR exit, etc. Plus, no escalators or elevators to street level.

This isn't for the average or typical CC visitors to HK, just to be very, very clear.

Totally get you. I am very comfortable getting around HK even without my Chinese husband who was born & raised there; though he wouldn't necessarily agree. Hahaha He got sick once and spent two days in bed. I wasn't going to be stuck in the hotel room watching Chinese kung-fu movies so I went out. Gone for hours. :)

The Sunday ferry runs every hour on the hour from NP pier so that is a possibility. We are there before we need to go to Kai Tak so we might just walk over there from the hotel to gauge it out. Not sure why we have to walk all the way to the end before doubling back to enter the cruise terminal but it still is only a 14 minute walk. Worried though about the comment

via unnamed roads

• This route has restricted usage or private roads.
    Mostly flat

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/Kai+Tak+Public+Ferry,+Kai+Tak,+Hong+Kong/Kai+Tak+Cruise+Terminal,+Shing+Fung+Road,+Kai+Tak,+Hong+Kong/@22.3067798,114.2091792,1172m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x34040138ee17c313:0x93c0eabd69d4b2c2!2m2!1d114.2131162!2d22.3098973!1m5!1m1!1s0x340401393471c50d:0xaf93263e70836e38!2m2!1d114.213476!2d22.3059044!3e2?hl=en

Going out possibly Sunday night after dinner and for sure on Monday to visit his Mom; we'll just use the free shuttle to Diamond Hill MTR or the green minibus or the 5R bus to either the Ngau Tau Kok or Kwun Tong MTR station.

The Sunday ferry runs every hour on the hour from NP pier ... Not sure why we have to walk all the way to the end before doubling back to enter the cruise terminal but it still is only a 14 minute walk. Worried though about the comment ... ( :p NOT :p)

Going out possibly Sunday night after dinner and for sure on Monday to visit his Mom; we'll just use the free shuttle to Diamond Hill MTR or the green minibus or the 5R bus to either the Ngau Tau Kok or Kwun Tong MTR station.

OK, according to my local contacts who just sailed out of KTCT this summer on RCL - good news, you do NOT have to walk all the around to get inside the cruise terminal ... that #@*$%o Google Map info is misleading.

The KTCF Public Pier is really a short walk into the cruise terminal, elevators or "lifts" nearest is 5 minutes - (just heard from them, back from their Moscow tour) - to the right of Zone B, bus loading area on street level (see the lower right hand corner of this linked PDF map) ... on the western end of the long cruise terminal (thus, toward Kowloon City ... absolutely unnecessary to walk & loop all the way around to get inside)

http://kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/downloads/ktct-pedestrian-map.pdf

If that's convenient & you are doing a 22" rollerboard & backpack, the NP Ferry might just work - skip the taxi routine entirely. Besides, I'm sure your hubby knew, HK's "winter" is mild by U.S. & Canadian standards. Or, you might be able to take the luggage onto the 5R bus, Kwun Tong might be better & easier to board - from Youtube video, look liked they are using the nice air-conditioned double decker bus - and, if they are like the Cityflyer's A21 bus from airport into Hung Hom, should have some luggage racks downstairs to hold luggage. Maybe get the help of your in-laws to call them locally to ask about their policies & logistics for bus riding with luggage.

There is also a Taxi Stand at the Kwun Tong MTR Station, plus another one for cross-harbour taxi ...

Hopefully, this is useful & do take some photos & if you could, a post-cruise followup review of KTCT's transportation option & alternatives here on CC, that would be very useful to everyone & a big hit, now that more ships are docking & visiting there.

OK, according to my local contacts who just sailed out of KTCT this summer on RCL - good news, you do NOT have to walk all the around to get inside the cruise terminal ... that #@*$%o Google Map info is misleading.

The KTCF Public Pier is really a short walk into the cruise terminal, elevators or "lifts" nearest is 5 minutes - (just heard from them, back from their Moscow tour) - to the right of Zone B, bus loading area on street level (see the lower right hand corner of this linked PDF map) ... on the western end of the long cruise terminal (thus, toward Kowloon City ... absolutely unnecessary to walk & loop all the way around to get inside)

http://kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/downloads/ktct-pedestrian-map.pdf

If that's convenient & you are doing a 22" rollerboard & backpack, the NP Ferry might just work - skip the taxi routine entirely. Besides, I'm sure your hubby knew, HK's "winter" is mild by U.S. & Canadian standards. Or, you might be able to take the luggage onto the 5R bus, Kwun Tong might be better & easier to board - from Youtube video, look liked they are using the nice air-conditioned double decker bus - and, if they are like the Cityflyer's A21 bus from airport into Hung Hom, should have some luggage racks downstairs to hold luggage. Maybe get the help of your in-laws to call them locally to ask about their policies & logistics for bus riding with luggage.

There is also a Taxi Stand at the Kwun Tong MTR Station, plus another one for cross-harbour taxi ...

Hopefully, this is useful & do take some photos & if you could, a post-cruise followup review of KTCT's transportation option & alternatives here on CC, that would be very useful to everyone & a big hit, now that more ships are docking & visiting there.

This is great mking8288! Thank you so much.

It looks like the video of the 5R is a complete round trip from the cruise terminal and then back. All in 23 minutes. Plus where it makes the right turn towards the cruise terminal you can see the ferry pier on the left. A very easy walk of just 4 minutes. Yes weather is cooler. In Dec 2015 we had most days at 8-10c. So it shows be a pleasant walk; assuming no rain.

Though once inside the terminal it would still be quite a walk to the check in point. But that would be the same via taxi or bus. The ferry is only $6 one way versus MTR at $9.70 plus the taxi or 5R bus.

Also thank you for the .pdf of the terminal itself. Do you think the check in is in the large section on 1/F called "government facilities"? Then you go upstairs to Atrium A or B to wait (assuming you can't board the ship right away)?

This is great ... Do you think the check in is in the large section on 1/F called "government facilities"? Then you go upstairs to Atrium A or B to wait (assuming you can't board the ship right away)?
From what I know, Check-in and boarding are all on 2/F, see picture below ... shops & plenty of space to sit, wait & good free Wi-Fi. 1/F government area is for border control & customs (disembarking passengers). It is setup like the airport, and don't forget to check out the rooftop park garden.

Sounds like you got several options & backup plan, have fun & enjoy.

ad29bf28fbb1a130bb329f3ab9a0529d.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

From what I know, Check-in and boarding are all on 2/F, see picture below ... shops & plenty of space to sit, wait & good free Wi-Fi. 1/F government area is for border control & customs (disembarking passengers). It is setup like the airport, and don't forget to check out the rooftop park garden.

Sounds like you got several options & backup plan, have fun & enjoy.

ad29bf28fbb1a130bb329f3ab9a0529d.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Thanks!

Well it seems that the walk to the NP ferry pier from our hotel is 1.1 km. BUT if we take a taxi, it has to go down to Tin Hau and then backtrack. A 7+km trip which now costs $70-$80 dollars depending on traffic. WTH???

7+km with a small suitcase and knapsack might be a bit too much. Why is this so hard? LOL

Trying to understand your comments above ... Are you sure about the need for the taxi to drive around & uphill toward TIn Hau, coming from Taikoo & Quarry Bay ?? using Google Map ??

It would seem logical to go onto King's Road & turn for Java Road near the NP Pier for the ferries, but to head away from the harbour toward Tin Hau, not making sense to me ??

As for the fare estimated to be $60 or $70, that is in HKD, correct ... which is just about $9 USD - and still very affordable, no ?? How did you come up with 7 km for the distance ? From your hotel to the KTCT pier ?

Trying to understand your comments above ... Are you sure about the need for the taxi to drive around & uphill toward TIn Hau, coming from Taikoo & Quarry Bay ?? using Google Map ??

It would seem logical to go onto King's Road & turn for Java Road near the NP Pier for the ferries, but to head away from the harbour toward Tin Hau, not making sense to me ??

As for the fare estimated to be $60 or $70, that is in HKD, correct ... which is just about $9 USD - and still very affordable, no ?? How did you come up with 7 km for the distance ? From your hotel to the KTCT pier ?

I know, right? I got this route from both Google Maps as well as a site that does taxi fares in HK. I thought the same thing as you. Why can't we turn at Shu Kuk Street and head down to the pier.

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/Harbour+Plaza+North+Point,+665+King's+Road+North+Point,+Tsat+Tsz+Mui,+Hong+Kong/North+Point+Ferry+Pier,+North+Point,+Hong+Kong/@22.2894528,114.1903759,2345m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x340401053fa5ab6b:0xceae2322d37b305a!2m2!1d114.2084684!2d22.2915761!1m5!1m1!1s0x3404011b236d8673:0x9302b285fbdab2af!2m2!1d114.199807!2d22.294181!3e0?hl=en

Yes $80 is in HK dollars which is about $13+ dollars for us Canadians. Plus it is only $6 HK for the ferry so this may still be the way to go. Around $15 CDN total.

We will have to check it all out. Maybe the best way is a 5 minute walk to Quarry Bay Exit C, 8 min train ride to North Point Exit A3 and then another 4 minute walk to the ferry pier.

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Betty

I know, right? I got this route from both Google Maps as well as a site that does taxi fares in HK ... We will have to check it all out. Maybe the best way is a 5 minute walk to Quarry Bay Exit C, 8 min train ride to North Point Exit A3 and then another 4 minute walk to the ferry ...
Google took you on a scenic & long ride. I had a gut feeling that East Corridor highway on the waterfront was the trap.

Ha ha, one thing I learned is never 100% trust these apps, they are typically reliable @ 99.25% and I've been surprised using GM in Los Angeles, Hawaii & even here at home - took us to Little Saigon in Orange County, CA via the back road into the backside of the mall's parking lot ... was like, WTH - it worked & bypassed the weekend traffic.

OK, long story short - I think I found the "bug" to fix it and cut your taxi distance by about half, to about 4.3 km instead of 9.3 km (by setting the Option to "Avoid" Highways ...) GM has the fastest & "best" routing taking you onto the elevated East Corridor/Rt. 4 that run along the waterfront, obviously - limited access with on-ramps & off-ramps ... taxi driver would be happy to take you on a long, scenic ride actually thru Causeway Bay at the western end of Victoria Park to get onto the "highway".

Problems solved, driver can easily stay on King's Road upon leaving HP, on local street ... to the pier, which should be fine on a Sunday, depending on your time to catch the ferry across. Local "city" streets are often one-way and some of them are 24/7 no stopping zones for taxis & cars, but I am sure the taxi drivers, knowing that your hubby speak their native dialect, will not dare to do a long scenic ride & take the best route (and shorter/easier one) to the pier's taxi stand to drop you off.

Just clip on the upper left on the GM, change the option & you will instantly see the difference.

Google took you on a scenic & long ride. I had a gut feeling that East Corridor highway on the waterfront was the trap.

Ha ha, one thing I learned is never 100% trust these apps, they are typically reliable @ 99.25% and I've been surprised using GM in Los Angeles, Hawaii & even here at home - took us to Little Saigon in Orange County, CA via the back road into the backside of the mall's parking lot ... was like, WTH - it worked & bypassed the weekend traffic.

OK, long story short - I think I found the "bug" to fix it and cut your taxi distance by about half, to about 4.3 km instead of 9.3 km (by setting the Option to "Avoid" Highways ...) GM has the fastest & "best" routing taking you onto the elevated East Corridor/Rt. 4 that run along the waterfront, obviously - limited access with on-ramps & off-ramps ... taxi driver would be happy to take you on a long, scenic ride actually thru Causeway Bay at the western end of Victoria Park to get onto the "highway".

Problems solved, driver can easily stay on King's Road upon leaving HP, on local street ... to the pier, which should be fine on a Sunday, depending on your time to catch the ferry across. Local "city" streets are often one-way and some of them are 24/7 no stopping zones for taxis & cars, but I am sure the taxi drivers, knowing that your hubby speak their native dialect, will not dare to do a long scenic ride & take the best route (and shorter/easier one) to the pier's taxi stand to drop you off.

Just clip on the upper left on the GM, change the option & you will instantly see the difference.

Thanks I think I understand what you are saying however my setting is not set to "avoid highways" so I can't get it to change. Can you please send me your link showing the shorter route?

Thanks

Betty

OK, I did this on my Windows 10 PC's Google Map, 2 screenshots - I have Options (upper left of drop-down menu) showing now a 4.3 km trip, basically heading west toward NP Pier, still getting on Rt. 4 - Eastern Corridor for a very short distance for the pier.

a596768b2ce2ad9653067e72232b46a3.jpg

If "Avoid Highways" isn't selected - then, the drive now go east to Quarry Bay, the long way, before getting onto Rt. 4 to turn toward NP Pier, at over 9 km - leaving at midday. Not going toward Tin Hau or Victoria Park at all ...all these, based on real-time traffic info, change it to a Sunday morning, the calculations might show a different routing.

16819ad61b109b362a9fafe8ad60819d.jpg

There is probably an even shorter route, all on city/local streets, without getting onto Rt. 4 - for an even shorter drive, both in time & distance ... but, might be slower with more traffic lights & stop signs - not being shown on Google Maps.

Thanks mking8288. I can't see how the first one using the Eastern Corridor can exit at the Ferry Pier as it is a raised road. :)

I think the easist will be the local roads. Go west on King's Road and if the taxi cannot make a right at Shu Tuk Street into the pier then it can always turn left one street before (Kam Hong St) and then a right onto Tsat Tsz Mui Road and then a right onto Shu Tuk and follow it straight over King's Road and down to the ferry pier.

Isn't this fun? Hahahahaha

• 4 weeks later...

All this has left my head spinning!!! We're sailing on Millennium on Feb 4th and staying at a hotel in Kowloon area. There are 4 of us, and I'm thinking the easiest way to get to the port is by taxi. I'm into dragging bags when I don't know the area. How do I know which port terminal our ship will be docked? Thanks for the help!!

All this has left my head spinning!!! on Millennium on Feb 4th and staying at a hotel in Kowloon ... 4 of us ... to the port is by taxi ... which port terminal our ship will be docked? Thanks for the help!!

KTCT Schedule - look it up here

http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/2018-2/

Most "bigger" ships calling HK nowadays are berthed at Kai Tak, it's the only ship scheduled for that day - no need to worry which end of the long terminal. Use the above link, scroll around & has everything you need to know; and, more tips to plan ahead.

As for taxi, assumed that you are staying at the Sal-YMCA (no ... isn't everyone booked there, LOL) Ok, somewhere in Tsim Sha Tsui, off Nathan Road or nearby - metered fare to KC is under $100 HKD with tipping (loose change ~ 10% of fare is fine) about $13 USD (payable in local currency) Caution - 4 adults + 4 big pc. of luggage is a bit too much for its typical Toyota taxi-sedan, probably will need 2 of them, split it up. Still, very inexpensive, curbside to curbside.

It's about a week before the Lunar Chinese New Year in HK, China & many other parts of Asia - very festive and lots of happening in town. Great timing - enjoy your cruise.

Most "bigger" ships calling HK nowadays are berthed at Kai Tak, it's the only ship scheduled for that day - no need to worry which end of the long terminal. Use the above link, scroll around & has everything you need to know; and, more tips to plan ahead.

As for taxi, assumed that you are staying at the Sal-YMCA (no ... isn't everyone booked there, LOL) Ok, somewhere in Tsim Sha Tsui, off Nathan Road or nearby - metered fare to KC is under $100 HKD with tipping (loose change ~ 10% of fare is fine) about $13 USD (payable in local currency) Caution - 4 adults + 4 big pc. of luggage is a bit too much for its typical Toyota taxi-sedan, probably will need 2 of them, split it up. Still, very inexpensive, curbside to curbside.

It's about a week before the Lunar Chinese New Year in HK, China & many other parts of Asia - very festive and lots of happening in town. Great timing - enjoy your cruise.

Thanks so much for your help! Looking forward to our first trip to Asia....Another continent to check off the list!

Nope we're staying at the Metropark in Kowloon Mong Kok. Thinking we'll take a taxi or uber from the airport to the hotel since the express bus may not be running that late when we're ready to leave the airport, plus I don't want to make multiple stops after flying 15 hours! I've been reading about the Octopus card, but it's a bit confusing on what we need. Suggestions? Since we're boarding ship there, we won't need a ride back to airport. Thanks!

... staying at the Metropark in Kowloon Mong Kok. Thinking we'll take a taxi or uber from the airport to the hotel since the express bus may not be running that late when we're ready to leave the airport ... been reading about the Octopus card, but it's a bit confusing on what we need ... we won't need a ride back to airport.
Got it.

What a small world - that was our hotel back in 2010, we flew Cathy non-stop JFK and spend 4 nights, then onward to Ho Chi Ming City (to DW ... always, Saigon - her birthplace) ... land-based sightseeing (Benz Sprinter van w. driver & guide) + a wedding. Last stop, Shanghai & nearby (an escorted tour)

What is your expected arrival time into HKG, typically - you will clear border control, get your luggage (they are fast, even when not in J or F class) & past customs (nothing to declare, usually ... for visitors) and outside in the arrival/greeting hall in less than 45 minutes to 1 hour max.

Let me do my best to "break" down the options for you & see what you are comfortable with:

First, Uber is illegal in HK by law, they still exist in the shadow & known by other names (mini-vans for cargo plus @ airport & port facilites, often border-crossing into/from mainland) - police has been cracking down & running undercover operations to shut them down, not properly insured - I really don't recommend it.

Airport taxi will run you about $350 HKD - metered, toll should be added/itemized on the printout - to your hotel, ride is about 25 to 30 minutes past the evening rush hour. 3 of us managed to fit into one, plus 3 x 25" rollerboard in the red Toyota's trunk, 1 backpack & 2 large cabin soft tote. Your challenge is the 4th (adult ??) and the bag. Split into 2 taxi, your p/p one way ride cost is about $175 HKD or about $22.50 USD each, curbside to curbside.

Alternative, you can take the Airport Express - there are nice discount for single trip, on a single ticket/pass into Kowloon Station of the HKAE in about 25 minutes, free porter services to one of the many free surface shuttle bus stops (regular fare is about $100 HKD p/p one-way, discount of up to 40%) making stops at hotels along the designated route ... that will bring your one-way trip cost to around $300 HKD or just about $10 USD p/p - add the shuttle time, probably under 1 hour as the Kowloon AE Station isn't close but not too far @ TST West. Last AE train leave HKIA around midnight.

What we did, took the Airporter Bus - Route A21, which is really easy, double decker with luggage rack on the lower - fare was under $40 HKD p/p one way, exact change in local currency/coins by dropping into farebox next to the driver as you board, or the Octopus Card (you can use 1 with enough value loaded to pay for all 4's bus fares).

What is nice about this - if you feel you can manage the luggage, get those free luggage cart once you cleared border control, retrieve your luggage & roll them outside to ground transportation - stop by the MTR counter/kiosk while you are still inside to get the Octopus Card (and/or, get some local currency at the Foreign Exchange counter nearby - poor rates but it's open & convenient even at midnight ... for the rest of the time, you can get better conversion rates in Kowloon or use ATM to withdraw $$, we alerted our Citi(bank) and took money out, easy. For 4 of you, this is the most frugal way to get into town - worked out to be about $5 USD p/p for the trip to Kowloon; and, ready - you are stop #5 for Metropark Hotel on Lai Chi Kwok Road, just off Nathan Road.

The A-21 bus stop will be announced ahead, bilingually and via digital display sign on the bus - dropping you off, right in front of the hotel's main entrance - maybe 25 ft. away. It doesn't run all night, last run is around midnight - don't even need to cross the street, just roll the bags inside & check in ... and, get some rest.

We're tired - after a long 16 hours in the air too, but, managed to do this & it was mid September, still quite hot & humid. Just a word of caution, don't fall for the hotel's advertised bus/shuttle transfer - it's shared bus to town, and not a dedicated car service or van ride, it will be making stops & not that cheap either ... you will be better off using 2 taxis for the quickest run. Bus is a little slower but not that much, maybe 45 minutes at most - Airport Express is nice but acutally slower with the shuttle. Just to be clear, there is a 2nd. Metropark Hotel in Kowloon by Waterloo Rd. & Prince Edward Rd. with a seasonal swimming pool, this one doesn't have it. Lobby has a bakery shop, open early around 7 AM in case you are hungry & don't feel like walking outside, there's a 7-11 just across the street.

What's that sound, let me know what else you need help with or I can help you. :halo: Meanwhile, Betty is on the Millennium now ... hopefully, should hear back from her afterward - maybe she has latest tips & feedbacks to share as well, before your cruise.

Got it.

What a small world - that was our hotel back in 2010, we flew Cathy non-stop JFK and spend 4 nights, then onward to Ho Chi Ming City (to DW ... always, Saigon - her birthplace) ... land-based sightseeing (Benz Sprinter van w. driver & guide) + a wedding. Last stop, Shanghai & nearby (an escorted tour)

What is your expected arrival time into HKG, typically - you will clear border control, get your luggage (they are fast, even when not in J or F class) & past customs (nothing to declare, usually ... for visitors) and outside in the arrival/greeting hall in less than 45 minutes to 1 hour max.

Let me do my best to "break" down the options for you & see what you are comfortable with:

First, Uber is illegal in HK by law, they still exist in the shadow & known by other names (mini-vans for cargo plus @ airport & port facilites, often border-crossing into/from mainland) - police has been cracking down & running undercover operations to shut them down, not properly insured - I really don't recommend it.

Airport taxi will run you about $350 HKD - metered, toll should be added/itemized on the printout - to your hotel, ride is about 25 to 30 minutes past the evening rush hour. 3 of us managed to fit into one, plus 3 x 25" rollerboard in the red Toyota's trunk, 1 backpack & 2 large cabin soft tote. Your challenge is the 4th (adult ??) and the bag. Split into 2 taxi, your p/p one way ride cost is about $175 HKD or about $22.50 USD each, curbside to curbside.

Alternative, you can take the Airport Express - there are nice discount for single trip, on a single ticket/pass into Kowloon Station of the HKAE in about 25 minutes, free porter services to one of the many free surface shuttle bus stops (regular fare is about $100 HKD p/p one-way, discount of up to 40%) making stops at hotels along the designated route ... that will bring your one-way trip cost to around $300 HKD or just about $10 USD p/p - add the shuttle time, probably under 1 hour as the Kowloon AE Station isn't close but not too far @ TST West. Last AE train leave HKIA around midnight.

What we did, took the Airporter Bus - Route A21, which is really easy, double decker with luggage rack on the lower - fare was under $40 HKD p/p one way, exact change in local currency/coins by dropping into farebox next to the driver as you board, or the Octopus Card (you can use 1 with enough value loaded to pay for all 4's bus fares).

What is nice about this - if you feel you can manage the luggage, get those free luggage cart once you cleared border control, retrieve your luggage & roll them outside to ground transportation - stop by the MTR counter/kiosk while you are still inside to get the Octopus Card (and/or, get some local currency at the Foreign Exchange counter nearby - poor rates but it's open & convenient even at midnight ... for the rest of the time, you can get better conversion rates in Kowloon or use ATM to withdraw $$, we alerted our Citi(bank) and took money out, easy. For 4 of you, this is the most frugal way to get into town - worked out to be about $5 USD p/p for the trip to Kowloon; and, ready - you are stop #5 for Metropark Hotel on Lai Chi Kwok Road, just off Nathan Road.

The A-21 bus stop will be announced ahead, bilingually and via digital display sign on the bus - dropping you off, right in front of the hotel's main entrance - maybe 25 ft. away. It doesn't run all night, last run is around midnight - don't even need to cross the street, just roll the bags inside & check in ... and, get some rest.

We're tired - after a long 16 hours in the air too, but, managed to do this & it was mid September, still quite hot & humid. Just a word of caution, don't fall for the hotel's advertised bus/shuttle transfer - it's shared bus to town, and not a dedicated car service or van ride, it will be making stops & not that cheap either ... you will be better off using 2 taxis for the quickest run. Bus is a little slower but not that much, maybe 45 minutes at most - Airport Express is nice but acutally slower with the shuttle. Just to be clear, there is a 2nd. Metropark Hotel in Kowloon by Waterloo Rd. & Prince Edward Rd. with a seasonal swimming pool, this one doesn't have it. Lobby has a bakery shop, open early around 7 AM in case you are hungry & don't feel like walking outside, there's a 7-11 just across the street.

What's that sound, let me know what else you need help with or I can help you. :halo: Meanwhile, Betty is on the Millennium now ... hopefully, should hear back from her afterward - maybe she has latest tips & feedbacks to share as well, before your cruise.

MKing8288--

Thank you so very much! You're a wealth of knowledge! We'll probably do the taxi just because we're traveling with my in-laws and not sure if they want to schlep all their bags! We arrive at 8:30PM and probably will just do the taxi. Great info on Uber, I didn't know that! I've got so much info from experienced Asian travelers from CC and it's great. I'll be anxious to hear about Betty's trip on Mill We're boarding on 2/4 in HKG. If she gets ideas and comments together before we leave on 2/1, I'd love to get an email. pdxtravel08@yahoo dot com.

Our next adventure is the Eclipse to the Baltic and St. Pete in August. Then I'm coordinating a group on the AMA Waterways river cruise in Sept 2019 from Budapest - Vilshofen. Let me know if y'all are interested and I'll send you info for our group booking!

... We arrive at 8:30PM and probably will just do the taxi ...
Most flights for HKG are on-time and I concur that using 2 taxis will be your best & easiest option, just have the hotel's name & address for Lai Chi Kwok Road shown to the driver - sit back, relax & enjoy the quick trip into town ~ 30 minutes should do at those hours & you will be checking in around 10:15 or 10:30 PM.

There are currency exchange places around the corners from the hotel, the MTR Station stop is just out the side entrance/exit - 1.5 city block away. A wet laundry place across the street, near the 7-11 -charged by the pound, we did a big bag for about $45 HKD then, same day service ... wash & folded, smelling fresh, drop-off AM on our way to sightsee & ready by 6 PM as they don't stay open late. Busy & famous Nathan Road is a block away - use the underground passage and follow the crowds crossing busy streets, police do issue jaywalking tickets.

Here, I found pix of Metropark and the typical rooms then, nothing fancy but clean, comfortable & convenient.

Enjoy your planned cruises & trips further out - there's still so much we wish to do, now that we are reaching that stage of our lives. Thanks & will do, if and when :cool:

3d52ee281717c59506d5375216b9b1fb.jpg1dfa7ebc2f56dffd7b70ab45da7bea12.jpgafb7cbbc7458cdbf6c970f45c60b5f4f.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Most flights for HKG are on-time and I concur that using 2 taxis will be your best & easiest option, just have the hotel's name & address for Lai Chi Kwok Road shown to the driver - sit back, relax & enjoy the quick trip into town ~ 30 minutes should do at those hours & you will be checking in around 10:15 or 10:30 PM.

There are currency exchange places around the corners from the hotel, the MTR Station stop is just out the side entrance/exit - 1.5 city block away. A wet laundry place across the street, near the 7-11 -charged by the pound, we did a big bag for about $45 HKD then, same day service ... wash & folded, smelling fresh, drop-off AM on our way to sightsee & ready by 6 PM as they don't stay open late. Busy & famous Nathan Road is a block away - use the underground passage and follow the crowds crossing busy streets, police do issue jaywalking tickets.

Here, I found pix of Metropark and the typical rooms then, nothing fancy but clean, comfortable & convenient.

Enjoy your planned cruises & trips further out - there's still so much we wish to do, now that we are reaching that stage of our lives. Thanks & will do, if and when :cool:

3d52ee281717c59506d5375216b9b1fb.jpg1dfa7ebc2f56dffd7b70ab45da7bea12.jpgafb7cbbc7458cdbf6c970f45c60b5f4f.jpg

Thanks so much. The pics of the hotel I saw look a little nicer than this..hopefully they are, as well as queen beds we requested.

Did you use the Octopus card at all for paying for transportation? Trying to get more info on it and if it is to our benefit. It looks to be extremly convenient.