New to Marella

I have been looking at the itineraries from Corfu on The Discovery

I notice that the ship sails at 23.00. What will be the earliest time that we can board the ship.

The standard flights offered arrive at around 20.30 but sometimes there are alternative flights that arrive much earlier.

I have been looking at the itineraries from Corfu on The Discovery

I notice that the ship sails at 23.00. What will be the earliest time that we can board the ship.

The standard flights offered arrive at around 20.30 but sometimes there are alternative flights that arrive much earlier.

Do you mean by booking Cruise Only/arranging your own flights? If so, none package passengers can generally start to board when the first TUI flight arrives from the airport. We do Cruise Only and first flights to Malaga or Palma land around 9.30 and we have always been able to board by 10.30. Check the various TUI flight arrival times for Corfu and schedule your arrival to coincide with the earliest. E.G. I see that the Bristol flight this Summer lands at 10.15 a.m. so you should be able to board by 11 a.m.

If you are going on a Marella package including flights you will go straight to the ship from the airport and be able to board straight away.

Edited by campolady

Thanks for info.

Was looking at Tui’s flights. Had not considered cruise only but will consider as an option if flight times are better.

Another question. If the package return flight leaves at 21.30, what is the latest that we can disembark?

Another question. If the package return flight leaves at 21.30, what is the latest that we can disembark?

You can stay on board - and use the AI drinks package/restaurants etc. - until your coach leaves for the airport usually around 3 hours before your TUI flight.

If you do a dummy booking you can see what alternate flight times there are from your airport if choice An earlier flight if available will probably have a supplement charge

Have done a dummy booking - no alternatives offered by Tui. I am a bit happier knowing that I can stay on ship until it is time to head to the airport. However, I don’t like the flight times offered. So I’ll consider making my own flight arrangements and transfers and book on a cruise only basis.

If you do cruise only you will have to make your own transfer arrangements to and from the ship and it might all in all be more expensive

I am aware of the possible additional expense but if I get better flight times, the increased cost will possibly be worth it.

Have done a dummy booking - no alternatives offered by Tui. I am a bit happier knowing that I can stay on ship until it is time to head to the airport. However, I don’t like the flight times offered. So I’ll consider making my own flight arrangements and transfers and book on a cruise only basis.

If you book your own flights it is worth being aware of the ships no wait policy. we were on the Dream a few weeks ago and all outgoing flights from the UK were being delayed by French air traffic control. The ship was due to leave port at ten pm but delayed tui flights from Scotland in the evening didn't arrive at Palma until after eleven pm the ship waited for them and eventually set sail at one am if you were to book independent flights I don't think that the ship is obliged to wait for you if you had similar delays.

If you book your own flights it is worth being aware of the ships no wait policy. we were on the Dream a few weeks ago and all outgoing flights from the UK were being delayed by French air traffic control. The ship was due to leave port at ten pm but delayed tui flights from Scotland in the evening didn't arrive at Palma until after eleven pm the ship waited for them and eventually set sail at one am if you were to book independent flights I don't think that the ship is obliged to wait for you if you had similar delays.

We always fly out the day before and spend the night in a hotel close to the port. No worries about flight delays and it extends the holiday. What you can save by booking 'Cruise Only' often pays for the nights accommodation and you are refreshed and ready to board asap the next morning. As we do not live in the UK we have no option but to book 'Cruise Only' and thankfully have never had any problems.

I would suggest flying early the day before then if you want to arrange your own flights.

We went a few years ago and our flight was due to land at 3pm for the ship to leave at 10pm so we had plenty of time. Unfortunately the flight was delayed, then diverted, then we finally re-departed and landed at 11pm (severe weather). Fortunately because it was part of the TUI package the ship waited (ours wasn’t the only flight affected) and they were also making contingencies in case we weren’t able to get to the port by midnight. A few other people (ironically on the same flight) missed the ship as the Airport was chaos and they couldn’t get a taxi to the port in time: they missed the first 3 days of their cruise effectively, and spent that time traveling and sitting in airports.

Sorry for the long ramble and I know it’s rare but I just think myself lucky that my holiday wasn’t ruined and grateful for the protection a package offers. We still do no-package cruises but only to places where there are lots of flight options and where we travel early morning the day before. If somewhere like Corfu doesn’t have many flights to it from your local airport you might be better just suffering the inconvenience :)

Thanks all for your responses.

Some cruises I have looked at offer alternative flights but the one I’m looking at for Sept 2019 doesn’t. I am happy in the knowledge that I can stay on the ship until it is time for the transfer.

I don’t plan to book until later this year and it is possible that Tui will have alternative flights available. Most airlines don’t publish their schedule more than 335 days or so in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

We wete on Spirit last week. Be aware that, on the last day we were allowed to use the facilities on board until the transfer coaches arrived but all cabins had to be vacated by 8am and luggage had to be outside your door by 2am

Thanks all for your responses.

Some cruises I have looked at offer alternative flights but the one I’m looking at for Sept 2019 doesn’t. I am happy in the knowledge that I can stay on the ship until it is time for the transfer.

I don’t plan to book until later this year and it is possible that Tui will have alternative flights available. Most airlines don’t publish their schedule more than 335 days or so in advance.

Hi,we're sailing from Corfu on the 31st August this year.We had the choice of an early or late flight from LGW.We chose the 0640 one.Staying at the Premier inn,north terminal.We should have more chillout time when we board,cheers,Brian.

We wete on Spirit last week. Be aware that, on the last day we were allowed to use the facilities on board until the transfer coaches arrived but all cabins had to be vacated by 8am and luggage had to be outside your door by 2am

curtesy cabins are available at a cost and there is a secure holding area for your hand luggage. some passengers report that you can also use the showers in the gym so vacating by 8am is not really an issue