WHY Indian Food ?

block

The word "nasty" should never be used for food unless it is spoiled. It is really offensive to the people who enjoy it. It doesn't matter the nationality. I'm always taken aback when someone calls food on a plate, in front of someone who is eating it, nasty or disgusting. Manners. Use them.

• Like 1

It is not nasty or yucky or any of the other terms used- you just don't like it. (Yes, mother- I beat this into my kids heads all the time- so just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad). Anyway, I think one reason it is on a lot of ships is because often the head chef is Indian. And it is one of the most respected cuisines world wide. As noted- you certainly won't go hungry if you don't like Indian food- there are plenty of other dishes to chose.

Yes, we ALL have food(s) that we'd rather NOT be served, or subjected too.:eek: My nemesis is-Chicken LIVER !! Yet, my Dad and sis LOVED it, couldn't get enough, fried, smothered in gravy-you name it. Me, I CANNOT even stand the smell of it cooking. BUT-that being said, I was told that it's GOOD for you, contains iron (and goodness knows, I'd HATE to think what else ?) But I diverse, I just 'pass' on liver, and will find something else. I've noticed on buffets and in the MDR there are several other choices for main entrees. IF I pick up my plate and see that disgusting (IMHO) dish served, I'll just check out what else is available OR check out another venue. PLEASE, if you like liver, EAT my share, I'd appreciate it !;p

Mac

To each his own. I personally love Indian food, but I know many who don’t. On the other hand, I am not that crazy about Chinese food or sushi. So what? You eat what you like, and I’ll eat what I like. [emoji847]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you looked at the crew demographic recently?

I've cruised extensively...and the head chef is always from the Indian sub continent or its immediate environs

Just a tad of overgeneralization OR maybe not as "extensively" as you may think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a tad of overgeneralization OR maybe not as "extensively" as you may think.

Nope in every cruise I've ever taken...and there have been several ....every head chef was Indian or the immediate environs

Btw... I didn't say every cruise you have ever taken...I said I have ever taken....so I am posting MY first hand knowledge...

And I agree ...there is way too much Indian food especially at the buffet on a daily basis on the cruises I have taken but I attribute that to the fact that every cruise I have ever taken had an Indian head chef

Fortunately I don't eat like a pig on cruises and enjoy the salad bar for lunch and the Mdr for dinner where I enjoy a well cooked steak most nights

Nope in every cruise I've ever taken...and there have been several ....every head chef was Indian or the immediate environs

Btw... I didn't say every cruise you have ever taken...I said I have ever taken....so I am posting MY first hand knowledge...

And I agree ...there is way too much Indian food especially at the buffet on a daily basis on the cruises I have taken but I attribute that to the fact that every cruise I have ever taken had an Indian head chef

Fortunately I don't eat like a pig on cruises and enjoy the salad bar for lunch and the Mdr for dinner where I enjoy a well cooked steak most nights

I really don't think the reason for Indian food is because of an Indian chef. Three menus they have to follow fleet wide with small variations. I've had an Argentinian head chef, British, german. Never an Indian head chef. Plenty of the chefs are Indian ofcourse just not the head chef in my experience.

I've cruised extensively...and the head chef is always from the Indian sub continent or its immediate environs

Really? That’s odd.

Last 8 cruises on Princess , the Head Chefs were either from the Philippiness or Italy.

The variety of world cusine was varied, and nicely prepared. IMHO..

Of course, it’s not that difficult, and very easy to find out beforehand who the Head Chef and nationality before you book. :)

Good luck on your next cruise. ;).

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Yeah, and what’s with this Italian food all the time, and those nasty American steaks? Some of us hate to be expected to pass by Chinese or Japanese food on the buffets and who thinks Corn Flakes are required for breakfast? Bacon? Oh my God! Can you believe the horror of being offered Yorkshire pudding? and don’t get me started on the oppressiveness of apple pie.

Might I suggest you bypass the offending section of the buffet?

• Like 1

Really? That’s odd.

Last 8 cruises on Princess , the Head Chefs were either from the Philippiness or Italy.

The variety of world cusine was varied, and nicely prepared. IMHO..

Of course, it’s not that difficult, and very easy to find out beforehand who the Head Chef and nationality before you book. :)

Good luck on your next cruise. ;).

lol I don't care who the head chef or where he is from...fwiw I'm just stating what I've seen...never said I dont like Indian food although I don't tend to gravitate toward it on a ship

Salad bar

Steak in the Mdr

Perhaps a hot dog

Veggies

Crepes

Oatmeal

Bacon

Among other things do it for me....

Not at all interested in the stew type mixtures in the buffet

Simply, not true. :) You’re making an incorrect generalization.

Just wondering, since you’ve cruised extensively, what cruise lines?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I have seen several Executive Chefs from India or other parts of the Sub Continent on P&O UK, as are their cooks Indian, also Cunard has a few, so some decent Indian food there. But not as many Indians on other lines I have travelled on...Princess, Carnival, P&O Australia, Celebrity. Many Italian Chefs, but from all over.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how true it is for other lines but Carnival actively employ Indian/Bangladeshi chefs and have declared this through various media. Every time I sailed with them I have found this the case.

Bangladeshi cooks are particularly common over here in the UK too as they are known for being excellent especially in 'Indian' restaurants.

I'm sure there is more on offer than Indian food at the buffet table..

For those of us that don't appreciate pizza's, Burgers, hot dogs and bland casseroles, stews and chicken nuggets etc..

It's a welcome change to enjoy the subtlties and flavors of spices coming together in a taste sensation!! :D

Thank goodness the cruise ships have opened up there offerings to offer more than the typical bland North American Fayre!!

WELL DONE CRUISE SHIPS ... KEEP IT UP !!

Well said. There are many of us who like a variety of foods, especially foods that have some real flavor.

Well said. There are many of us who like a variety of foods, especially foods that have some real flavor.

I agree, a lot of tucker on the American Princess ships is bland, they need to put on a few cooks from the sub continent and rustle up a few curries.

Have to take my chilli powder and curry powder next trip, wonder if I will get it through Heathrow Airport.:halo:

• 5 weeks later...

The chefs have to follow a menu, they don't make what they want. I am from New England and we have never had spicy hot food up here. I am always nervous I am going to get it. So I avoid anything like that might be hot. (I need a taster I think)

The chefs have to follow a menu, they don't make what they want. I am from New England and we have never had spicy hot food up here. I am always nervous I am going to get it. So I avoid anything like that might be hot. (I need a taster I think)

You need a bit of chilli or curry up in New England to ward off the winter chills.

On the Princess ships our MDR waiters know to give my plate a real workout with the pepper grinder. Depending on the dish I choose I will sometimes ask for a very small plate of fresh chopped chilli on the side. Lubbly Jubbly. Tabasco sauce also works well, they always have that on the ships.

Good for you and very tasty.:halo:

• 2 months later...

I think it's great they have variety even though I despise Indian food - especially the smell as it makes me nauseated. I Understand the need for pleasing a variety of palates, BUT it really bothers me as a vegetarian that 7 of 8 nights the mdr vegetarian options are Indian ! the other night is a pretty bad vegetable lasagna. Meanwhile the pasta bar at lunch has a ton of great options! But not in their dinner menu or in the mdr:(

I f they only offer 1 vegetarian entree they should offer something different each rather than a week of just Indian food. Variety for vegetarian s room would be nice.

Edited by gotscrapz

• 1 month later...

I am someone who does not like hot & spicy food... and I especially dislike curry. Even the smell of it makes me nauseous. So I have avoided the Indian food, although there might be some dishes I would like. But they need to post on each dish what it contains. If I see that a dish contains hot peppers, sriracha, curry, etc., then I know to avoid those dishes.

... But they need to post on each dish what it contains. If I see that a dish contains hot peppers, sriracha, curry, etc., then I know to avoid those dishes.

If you are curious, ask your waiter or staff at the buffet and they can find an exact list for you. This applies to any dish not just curries.

Speaking from experience with Royal, but I would say any cruise line would do the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it was the Carnival ship out of New Orleans that had EXCELLENT Indian food all the way in the back right next to the pool. It was opposite the deli counter.

The food was amazing and it was about all my uncle and I ate for lunch the entire cruise. I think it was on here someplace that I read they took it off the ship. Bummer.