Active Dressses/Travel Dress

Hi all,

I wanted to check in with the fashion trust here to see if i'm overlooking any sites/brands to buy outdoor dresses/travel dresses.

I like Athleta, Prana and North Face dresses. Are there any other brands i'm overlooking? Sites to buy? Some of the ex-Officio ones look ok but some might be a bit old skool for my taste.

I like the idea of wearing something that can be dressed up at night then maybe the next day as a cover up/siteseeing garb.

Thanks!

Cowie

Hi all,

I wanted to check in with the fashion trust here to see if i'm overlooking any sites/brands to buy outdoor dresses/travel dresses.

I like Athleta, Prana and North Face dresses. Are there any other brands i'm overlooking? Sites to buy? Some of the ex-Officio ones look ok but some might be a bit old skool for my taste.

I like the idea of wearing something that can be dressed up at night then maybe the next day as a cover up/siteseeing garb.

Thanks!

Cowie

Columbia Sportswear and I bought a dress at Sport Check---McKinley brand. I love it. It is knee length and even has a hidden zipper pocket on the side.

I have several of the Columbia sleeveless wicking fabric dresses. They're not all the same style but they're pretty close. I love they have pockets!

PFG Freezer dress https://www.columbia.com/womens-pfg-freezer-iii-dress-FL5039.html?cgid=women-bottoms-skirtsDresses&dwvar_FL5039_variationColor=488

(I got a few at the outlet near me for $20-25, and if it might be relevant for anyone, it comes in plus sizes too)

I pretty much live in knit dresses year round - and they're great for travel. Most of mine are work-appropriate too (my work is business casual, so a knit dress is fine). The Columbia is on the casual end of what I would wear, I have many ponte dresses (long sleeve to sleeveless) that I choose more for work/work travel.

For cooler weather (we're not really beach people ;-) I love a merino wool dress - I have long and short sleeve options from Lands End, Patagonia, & Eileen Fisher. They travel SO WELL. Never too hot or cold, it seems, and they don't hold on to odors.....

I hope the reviews on that are better than they are on the dress linked above.

The only dress link I see is the one I linked - the Columbia PFG - and it has 108/122 5 star reviews. How is that bad?? (full totals - 108 5*, 10 4*, 3 3*, 2 2*, 1 1*) That seems to be pretty highly rated to me......

Is there another dress link to which you refer?

The only dress link I see is the one I linked - the Columbia PFG - and it has 108/122 5 star reviews. How is that bad?? (full totals - 108 5*, 10 4*, 3 3*, 2 2*, 1 1*) That seems to be pretty highly rated to me......

Is there another dress link to which you refer?

To clarify, I was using the link you provided, but clicked on the plus sizes for that dress. That changes the reviews.

To clarify, I was using the link you provided, but clicked on the plus sizes for that dress. That changes the reviews.

Thank you for clarifying - that does make a difference! Sad that the plus size fit is such a problem. (I own those dresses in an XL but do have other plus size Columbia clothing and have not experienced such weird fit, so I guess it's really dependent on the specific item and/or body shape of purchaser....)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Arc'teryx is an amazing brand: https://www.arcteryx.com/us/en/c/womens/dresses-and-skirts/

I have the "Cala" in the blue (looks more like a teal blue -- beautiful shade), and 2 "Contenta" dresses (black and a brick-red colour no longer available). They're made of the same, tissue paper-weight fabric, which has a slight stretch. They are super, super light weight and dry in an instant. We travel with only carry-on and sink-wash almost daily, so these features are important to me. I've worn the Cala to work, and I continue to get compliments, as it is very flattering. I can't wait to take it on my Med cruise in October.

Cheers!

Viv

Just saw a recommendation on a blog I read for Persifor dresses - they're a polyamide/elastene fabric which is similar to a bathing suit.

https://persifor.com/

Very preppy (though not cheap) which is nice for some of us with that style, as opposed to a more "athletic" or athleisure look.

Lands End has some tunics & coverups in a rash guard fabric/quick dry nylon but I'm not seeing anything right now that is port/tour appropriate....

• 4 weeks later...