Help with Overpacking!Yes, I know I am 'sad'

After years of overpacking, I have just realised that some people wear the same clothes for multiple evenings.

Not sure I would want to do that.

Have taken two different tops for one pair of trousers, but this week saw a lady wear the same 'smart casual' dress for three nights out of seven.

Yes I know I am 'sad' concerning myself with what others wear, but would be interested to read comments.

We drive to port so have no real limitations. I may duplicate shorts/capris during the day with different tops each day. It's hot in the Caribbean and anywhere in the summer. For dinner I may wear a dress twice but for the most part a different dress each night. I need to have options and what if I get a stain on something.

So, unless you are travelling with just a carry-on, I see no need to restrict your clothing options. jmo

I tend to wear a different outfit each night & I rely on technical clothing during the day ( that washes in the sink & drys almost immediately. I’m usually in a bathing suit & coverup (in Caribbean anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People are different. Vive les differences!

You do you and let others make choices that are right for them. I like to pack light so I can manage my own bags on public transport or lug them up narrow stairwells to apartment rentals in Europe or down cobblestone or dirt roads.

I notice what others wear, sure. People watching makes me happy. But I don't judge their choices.

Hi, I don't care if she wears the same thing multiple times. This is just a curiosity question, but did you just notice the same person? And you remembered what she wore? There are times I don't remember who I saw the entire cruise....or I may have seen a person once and then never again.

As for overpacking? This is the age old question. What to pack. I have been sailing for 15 years and I try to wear a different outfit every night. If I wear the same item, it would be pants. I do wear a different top each evening.

That was my question....I probably wouldn't notice someone at my own table wearing the same thing more than once....and really...who cares if they do?

I think the OP is way too concerned about looks, perhaps....no one else is noticing or caring.

That said, I don't care if I "over-pack"...packing isn't some sort of competition, is it? I bring what I want..and if I take something home without wearing it...what does it hurt? Jeez!

I define overpacking as packing way beyond what you needed while traveling. Beyond the circumstances such as, I brought my raincoat but it didn't rain, so I didn't REALLY need it. THAT isn't overpacking.

But some people like choices.

I am not one of those people. I can be overwhelmed by choices. Too many is too much for me. I readily admit that now. I easily wear the same thing over and over. Until it stinks or is too stained. I have no issues with this. I literally don't care.

For my next cruise...7-nights in Alaska...I'm bringing two dresses. They are bamboo knit. I've already run a stink test and worn them 3 days in a row to verify that indeed bamboo really is stink resistant. As I will likely only wear them for a few short hours in the evening...I'm even more confident that they will be just fine. In the unlikely event that I don't feel like my typical pre dinner shower...I'm bringing at least one bamboo shirt to change into from the few base layers I plan to bring to wear on excursions.

I'm all about comfort. Especially on vacation. And I'm one of those people that finds comfort wearing their favorite clothes. And I don't have many favorite clothes. So I tend to wear the same ones over and over. The serves me well as 1. don't love laundry and 2. don't love packing...wearing fewer items helps me cut down on both.

I'm okay with wearing the same pants/shorts/jeans over and over (providing they're not dirty) but wear a different top each day/night. My OH always laughs at the amount of clothes I pack when we go away but I just tell him I'm a woman, I need options! :D

I bring 2 pair black shorts (breakfast & ports where heading to beach), 2 pair casual black capris (daytime on ship when not at pool; ports if not hitting beach or doing active excursion), 2 pair dressy capris (dinner). I MIGHT bring a couple dresses--one dressier.

3 casual tees for the shorts. 3 slightly nicer tops for daytime wear & several dressy nighttime tops.

I'd like to say I just bring Fit Flops, leather flip flops & a pair of dressy heels--but shoes are my weakness...

A couple years ago we had to fly in on cruise day & I was worried if we had any delays & had to wait for luggage at baggage claim it would be unneeded stress. SO we did a 7 day cruise with a backpack & carry on each. Yep, and even did formal nights! (I still prefer a checked bag, but honestly, STILL didn't wear everything!)

Hi, I don't care if she wears the same thing multiple times. This is just a curiosity question, but did you just notice the same person? And you remembered what she wore? There are times I don't remember who I saw the entire cruise....or I may have seen a person once and then never again.

As for overpacking? This is the age old question. What to pack. I have been sailing for 15 years and I try to wear a different outfit every night. If I wear the same item, it would be pants. I do wear a different top each evening.

Good post...I agree. I mostly wear pants in the evening (neutral color) and interchange 3 or 4 tops. Over the years, I have learned to simplify. Also, I HATE to pack and unpack so less stuff is so much less stressful for me.:D

Good post...I agree. I mostly wear pants in the evening (neutral color) and interchange 3 or 4 tops. Over the years, I have learned to simplify. Also, I HATE to pack and unpack so less stuff is so much less stressful for me.:D

Hi, thanks:)………….being honest here, I bring way more than 3 or 4 tops......they don't take up a lot of space

(for me) and I don't hate the packing/unpacking part. But 4 tops would never work for me;)

I am that person wearing the same dress 3 or 4 evenings, with different accessories. The dress is only worn for a couple of hours, in the air conditioning. Then taken off and spread out to air before being worn again.

I typically combine cruises with land trips. That means managing my luggage on trains, busses, up and down stairs, and along sidewalks. By necessity my bags are compact and light enough for me to carry and lift. I do wash and wear the same items over and over in various combinations. I don't expect others to pack the way I do. And I certainly don't expect any sympathy for my traveling style.

I use a 21 rolling carry on suit case and a hand held bag for my toilet articles and personal things. I can't begin to say how much I fit in the 21 inch bag. I have a outfit for each day and one for each night. I do sew and make most of the bottoms and some of the tops I wear. I also make the purses too. My fabrics are light weight and every thing folds flat in the suit case. I bring jewelry for about half of my outfits and then switch it up for the other outfits. Lately I have been cutting down on the number of tops and sending to the ships laundry to be cleaned, so I can wear it again. We do get free laundry with our cruises and I do want to even try to pack a little less and use the laundry more.

What it boils down for me is the fabric that the clothing is made from. Being that we do warm weather cruising the fabric can be lighter, and therefore I can take more clothing in the suitcase than if I were packing heavy sweaters etc.

After years of overpacking, I have just realised that some people wear the same clothes for multiple evenings.

Not sure I would want to do that.

Have taken two different tops for one pair of trousers, but this week saw a lady wear the same 'smart casual' dress for three nights out of seven.

Yes I know I am 'sad' concerning myself with what others wear, but would be interested to read comments.

Seems you are posting more to be catty about what others wear than to seek help with your over-packing, as your title would seem to suggest. :confused:

I packed patterned skirts for dinner and just solid tops to match. Then I packed shorts and leggings that match the tops. My plan is to wear a top to dinner one night and then wear that shirt the next day (or so) with shorts/bottoms.

My husband packed similarly. My son, I feel like we over packed for him but kids are gross.

But I tend to overpack, bringing a couple of outfits a day when in reality, even at home, I’m fine rewearing a shirt or shorts if I only wore them a few hours and know they aren’t dirty.

Seems you are posting more to be catty about what others wear than to seek help with your over-packing, as your title would seem to suggest. :confused:

And OP is not actually participating in any of the ongoing conversation around packing, so I would tend to agree....

Does anyone have good advice on how to pack for a cruise and pre- and post- cruise travel as well without taking too many bags? I'm especially worried about shoes. We are doing 2 nights at Universal Studios, then a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Port Canaveral, then 3 nights at Disney.

I'm worried about comfortable shoes for the parks, then dressy shoes for formal nights plus flip flops and maybe one other pair? Are water shoes a must? We are going in early December. We will be flying down so that is a consideration as well.

As far as noticing what people wear, some people own multiples of the same thing. At work, I am sort of a "uniform" dresser. Navy top or sweater depending on the season, dark jeans, flat shoes, simple jewelry. I own multiple pairs of the exact same jeans. My clothes vary a bit more when I travel but still pretty simple.

Does anyone have good advice on how to pack for a cruise and pre- and post- cruise travel as well without taking too many bags? I'm especially worried about shoes. We are doing 2 nights at Universal Studios, then a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Port Canaveral, then 3 nights at Disney.

I'm worried about comfortable shoes for the parks, then dressy shoes for formal nights plus flip flops and maybe one other pair? Are water shoes a must? We are going in early December. We will be flying down so that is a consideration as well.

As far as noticing what people wear, some people own multiples of the same thing. At work, I am sort of a "uniform" dresser. Navy top or sweater depending on the season, dark jeans, flat shoes, simple jewelry. I own multiple pairs of the exact same jeans. My clothes vary a bit more when I travel but still pretty simple.

You could try combining types of shoes. Keen or Keen style shoes (you can google) are comfortable to walk a lot in and work well as water shoes.

Flip flops don’t take up space so we always pack a few pair each.

We are leaving Sunday on Royal and for my 13 year old I packed 2 pair of dress shoes (because neither pair matches both formal outfits [emoji849]) a pair of tennis shoes that are mesh so are like water shoes. He’ll wear flip flops on the ship and I’ll toss another pair or 2 in his bag “just in case”.

For me I packed a pair of sandals that will match either dress (I don’t wear heels) and 2 pair of Keens and I’ll wear or take some flip flops.

Hubby packed the same watershoe/tennis shoe as son, dress shoes, and tennis shoes. He doesn’t wear sandals or flip flops.

I think we should be good.

Hi, I don't own any water shoes so they would not be necessary for me. As for comfy shoes? That

is a priority for me so I would definitely bring either a good, supportive walking sandal or a full shoe......walking

around the parks can definitely put a strain on the feet. (just my opinion). I went to Disney in March and could not believe some of flip flops folks wear...…..my feet would be killing me after a day in them:eek:…..I did notice them just because when you sitting down for a rest you see lots of things.;)

Hope you have a great time:D

I certainly did not post to be 'catty'. I am in awe of those who can manage to pack lightly.

I have just returned from an eleven night holiday with five unworn dresses, ten unworn t shirts , two pairs unworn trousers, one unworn swimsuit and two pairs of unworn sandals. All packed, together with what I actually wore, within 20kg hold and 7 kg carry on...I know I have problems, not options here !!!!!!

My issue is certainly not to decry how others choose to pack, but how to 'get my head around' slimming down my packing !