Old Town Trolley tour Boston?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:40 PM.
Denmark
1,902 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by clagkids
What do you do with your luggage if you go immediately to the trolley from the pier?
Properly just a cruise day in Boston - not final destination. Just a 5 minutes walk from the terminal.
We did the Old Trolley tour on our Boston stop.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 24 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 20 ships and 100 Ports - three future cruises: two Serenade of the Seas Caribbean cruises in November 2017 and February 2018 and a Uniworld French River Wine Cruise April 2018.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017.
Boston area
19,252 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
What do you do with your luggage if you go immediately to the trolley from the pier?
It looks like you are disembarking in Boston and want to do a trolley tour. Could you provide more details? Are you flying out of Boston later that day (flight time?) or are you checking into a hotel or perhaps renting a car?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carol
Radiance Alaska 5/17/17 to 6/3/17

San Gabriel Valley, CA
193 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
My cruise ship is in Boston from 11AM to 8PM on a weekday. It looks like the trolley only runs until 5PM. I've been to Boston before, but it's probably been 20+ years, so I think it would be a good way to get reacquainted. I'm just concerned that it might be a bit of a time crush. And if I wanted to stay in Boston after 5PM, I guess I'd have to Uber/Lyft/taxi back to the ship.

Also, I'm wondering what it's like trying to get on the trolley at the pier if there are hundreds of people disembarking at the same time. I was going to buy direct from OTT (it's cheaper and there's a senior discount) but if the cruise ship(s) have monopolized the trolleys -- I guess I'm not sure how that works. They have designated departure times, so maybe they reserve a certain number of seats? I had a bad experience with the HOHO bus in Barcelona -- the lines to get back on were so bad I only got off one time.

Can anyone share their experience with OTT in Boston and offer some advice?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by 138east
It looks like you are disembarking in Boston and want to do a trolley tour. Could you provide more details? Are you flying out of Boston later that day (flight time?) or are you checking into a hotel or perhaps renting a car?
Yes, we will be disembarking in Boston Sunday morning. Our flight home isn't until Monday evening and we are staying at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel Sunday night. Thinking about getting a 2 day pass. Figured we could walk to the hotel and drop off our luggage and then go to stop 19 - Boston Fish Pier but concerned we might not ever get on due to the previous Black Falcon stop (18A). Or store luggage at the cruise ship pier if that is available. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Boston area
19,252 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Yes, we will be disembarking in Boston Sunday morning. Our flight home isn't until Monday evening and we are staying at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel Sunday night. Thinking about getting a 2 day pass. Figured we could walk to the hotel and drop off our luggage and then go to stop 19 - Boston Fish Pier but concerned we might not ever get on due to the previous Black Falcon stop (18A). Or store luggage at the cruise ship pier if that is available. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You should drop your luggage off at the Renaissance. If you don't want to walk the whole way, take the Silver Line bus in front of the terminal one stop to Silver Line Way ($2.75/pp), which will get you much closer. There is only one other Silversea ship in port that day and the Hoho doesn't start until 9 am, so I don't see a problem getting on at stop 19.

Look closely at the trolley map. The Seaport area loop is separate from the main loop. It takes you to stop 1, which is the beginning of the main loop where you transfer to another trolley.

What are your plans for getting to Logan Airport on Monday? You do know that the Silver Line bus will quickly take you there from Silver Line Way for $2.75/pp.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carol

Oklahoma
454 Posts
Joined May 2005
We did this exact same thing 2 years ago-disembarked on a Sun morning-took a taxi to Renaissance Waterfront. There we checked in about 8-8:30, (way too early to get keys to our room), and stored our luggage with them. The trolley stopped right at the Renaissance (yea)-we had already bought a 2-day pass online-it might have been a Groupon-showed it to the driver and off we went. We had a free Duck tour included and we did that first. When you're ready to go back, you will transfer to a trolley that goes to the waterfront and it takes you right back to the hotel. Yea! We asked the first driver how to get back and he told us all this. It seems like when we got to the central trolley area we had to get off and get on a different trolley that took us all over town. It was SO easy. You might call the Renaissance and ask for the Concierge and make sure they're still stopping there (at the side door). Things could have changed in 2 years.
Also, you can catch the streetcar right across from the hotel and take it to the nearest Subway stop. I had printed off the trolley schedule ahead of time and knew what we wanted to do. They also give you maos on the trolley.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign of the Seas, E.Caribbean,June,1993
Sea Princess, Alaska-southbound,July, 2000.
Diamond Princess, Alaska r.t. Seattle, July, 2005
Voyager of the Seas, W. Caribbean,Jan,2008
Oosterdam, Pacific Coastal repos, April, 2008
Celebrity Mercury, Hawaii, Feb-Mar,2009
Celebrity Infinity, Panama Canal, Oct-Nov,2009
Voyager of the Seas, W Caribbean, Feb 2010
Celebrity Constellation, Med., Oct-Nov 2010
Celebrity Constellation, TA, Nov 2010
Celebrity Millenium, Pacific coastal, Sept 2011
Voyager of the Seas, Caribbean, Jan-Feb 2012
Celebrity Constellation, Baltics, Aug, 2012
Celebrity Constellation, Eng. Chan. Sept 2012
Celebrity Reflection, Caribbean, Jan 2013
Oasis of the Seas, Caribbean, Jan 2013
Celebrity Solstice Pacific Coastal Sept 2013
Caribbean Princess Repo NY-Hou Oct-Nov 2013
Navigator of the Seas,W Caribbean,Feb 2014
Brilliance of the Seas,TA,Aug-Sept 2014
Celebrity Solstice, Alaska, Sept 2015
Celebrity Reflection,Caribbean, Jan 2016
Oasis of the Seas,Caribbean,Jan 2016
Explorer of the Seas,Alaska,June 2016
Celebrity Equinox,Caribbean,April-May 2017
Celebrity Summit,Canadian,Sept-Oct 2017
Liberty of the Seas,Caribbean,Jan. 2018
Boston area
19,252 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by sooner2
We did this exact same thing 2 years ago-disembarked on a Sun morning-took a taxi to Renaissance Waterfront. There we checked in about 8-8:30, (way too early to get keys to our room), and stored our luggage with them. The trolley stopped right at the Renaissance (yea)-we had already bought a 2-day pass online-it might have been a Groupon-showed it to the driver and off we went. We had a free Duck tour included and we did that first. When you're ready to go back, you will transfer to a trolley that goes to the waterfront and it takes you right back to the hotel. Yea! We asked the first driver how to get back and he told us all this. It seems like when we got to the central trolley area we had to get off and get on a different trolley that took us all over town. It was SO easy. You might call the Renaissance and ask for the Concierge and make sure they're still stopping there (at the side door). Things could have changed in 2 years.
Also, you can catch the streetcar right across from the hotel and take it to the nearest Subway stop. I had printed off the trolley schedule ahead of time and knew what we wanted to do. They also give you maos on the trolley.
Just to clarify the "streetcar" or "trolley" is the Silver Line bus which takes you to South Station for a free transfer to the Red Line subway. My experience with the "trolley" schedule is that it is not precise but merely reflects the overall frequency of the service. The stop for the Renaissance is Silver Line Way and you can take either the SL1 or SL2 bus. The SL1 goes to the airport and most SL2's go all the way to Black Falcon Terminal.

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/b...tes/?route=SL1
http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/b...tes/?route=SL2
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carol

Boston
4,816 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
I'm pretty sure the "included duck tour" that sooner referred to no longer exists. That was on the other amphibious company (not "Boston Ducks") that closed over a year ago.
Severn, MD, USA
2,125 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
I have a question about the ship excursion non stop old town trolley tour and where it ends. This comes from the Old Trolley website:

The tour ends at your choice of either Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall or back at the ship.

Is Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall within walking distance back to the ship or do you have to find some other kind of transportation? We are on Anthem of the Seas. Someone in our roll call said the pier is "Black Falcon" or at least it was on their last four cruises.

We are thinking of hanging around quincy market for a bit as long as we can easily get back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (Slyster)

Tropicale 9/00
Imagination 10/01
Sovereign of the Seas 9/02
Explorer of the Seas 10/03
Adventure of the Seas 10/04
Radiance of the Seas 8/05
Freedom of the Seas 10/07
Pride 2/10
Oasis of the Seas 11/10
Serenade of the Seas 10/2011
Grandeur of the Seas 10/2013
Jewel of the Seas 11/2014
Liberty of the Seas 10/2015
Anthem of the Seas 9/2017
Boston
4,816 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
It's about 2 miles or a bit more from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall to the cruise terminal formerly known as Black Falcon and now named for one of our former mayors
Severn, MD, USA
2,125 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Nitemare
It's about 2 miles or a bit more from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall to the cruise terminal formerly known as Black Falcon and now named for one of our former mayors

What would be an ideal way to return to the pier? What options are available?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (Slyster)

Tropicale 9/00
Imagination 10/01
Pride 2/10
Oasis of the Seas 11/10
Boston area
19,252 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by slyster
What would be an ideal way to return to the pier? What options are available?

It looks like you'll be there on a Saturday. I'd just call Uber or Lyft or take a cab. The T schedule is less frequent on Sat and you have to make 2-3 transfers to get back from the Faneuil Hall area.

A good pickup place would be on the southbound side of Atlantic Ave.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carol

Severn, MD, USA
2,125 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Ok thanks. Is Atlantic Ave a main strip or road nearby? Easy to get to? I'm not familiar with Boston at all. Uber sounds easy enough as long as I know where to have them meet me LOL!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (Slyster)

Tropicale 9/00
Imagination 10/01
Pride 2/10
Oasis of the Seas 11/10
Severn, MD, USA
2,125 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Sorry one more question. Would my destination for uber just be the Boston pier?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (Slyster)

Tropicale 9/00
Imagination 10/01
Pride 2/10
Oasis of the Seas 11/10
Severn, MD, USA
2,125 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by mskaufman
Boston has a number of piers/wharfs. The cruise terminal is the Black Falcon terminal. I would go with that.

Ok. Thanks for your assistance.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (Slyster)

Tropicale 9/00
Imagination 10/01
Pride 2/10
Oasis of the Seas 11/10
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by sooner2
Thanks for the info, Sooner2. Great idea to call the Renaissance concierge as well.
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Just to clarify the "streetcar" or "trolley" is the Silver Line bus which takes you to South Station for a free transfer to the Red Line subway. My experience with the "trolley" schedule is that it is not precise but merely reflects the overall frequency of the service. The stop for the Renaissance is Silver Line Way and you can take either the SL1 or SL2 bus. The SL1 goes to the airport and most SL2's go all the way to Black Falcon Terminal.

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/b...tes/?route=SL1
http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/b...tes/?route=SL2
Thanks again 138east. Your info has been very helpful.
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
You should drop your luggage off at the Renaissance. If you don't want to walk the whole way, take the Silver Line bus in front of the terminal one stop to Silver Line Way ($2.75/pp), which will get you much closer. There is only one other Silversea ship in port that day and the Hoho doesn't start until 9 am, so I don't see a problem getting on at stop 19.

Look closely at the trolley map. The Seaport area loop is separate from the main loop. It takes you to stop 1, which is the beginning of the main loop where you transfer to another trolley.

What are your plans for getting to Logan Airport on Monday? You do know that the Silver Line bus will quickly take you there from Silver Line Way for $2.75/pp.
Thanks for the info, 138east. We were going to take uber to the airport but might do the Silver Line bus/subway if you can take luggage easily. More details would be greatly appreciated.
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Is it a lot cheaper to buy a 2 day pass online rather than buying it that day? Guess I am just concerned about the weather. Or can you purchase it from your hotel?