Oops- didn't get around to booking excursions Halifax, St. John, Portland, Bar Harbor

McFins

Hi all. Sailing in a few weeks on the Gem and simply didn't get around to booking excursions--we typically book via ship. Any chance we would be able to book once on the ship? The one that we were most interested in is Arcadia National Park/Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor. We don't want to rent a car and drive. I see some have mentioned Ollie's Trollies --- I assume we should book in advance if we use that vendor? Are they close to where the ship docks/tenders?

Hi all. Sailing in a few weeks on the Gem and simply didn't get around to booking excursions--we typically book via ship. Any chance we would be able to book once on the ship? The one that we were most interested in is Arcadia National Park/Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor. We don't want to rent a car and drive. I see some have mentioned Ollie's Trollies --- I assume we should book in advance if we use that vendor? Are they close to where the ship docks/tenders?

It is not Arcadia but Acadia. You can tour Acadia National Park with Oli's Trolley or Acadia National Park Tours. Both do ANP including Cadillac Mountain, have excellent ratings in TA, and are close to the tender dock.

SBtS

Do you think it will be too foggy up there (ANP and CM) the end of October? I think I'm there Halloween. Thank you! Also any recommendations for a great casual lobster restaurant. I have 2 recommendations so far. 1. Gaylyns.

2. West Street Cafe. Has anyone been to either of these Restaurants?

Thank You.

Do you think it will be too foggy up there (ANP and CM) the end of October? I think I'm there Halloween. Thank you! Also any recommendations for a great casual lobster restaurant. I have 2 recommendations so far. 1. Gaylyns.

2. West Street Cafe. Has anyone been to either of these Restaurants?Thank You.

If there was fog that late in the season, it should burn off by noon. As for restaurants, the 2 you mentioned are good but I prefer Stewman's Lobster Pound (downtown Bar Harbor location) on the waterfront. They offer outside seating with a view of the harbor and the food is good. Stewman's is located a very short walk from the tender dock.

SBtS

I would definitely recommend Ollie's Trolley. It is a easy walk from the tender port. One word of caution, since you are not booking through the cruise line, do not book your trolley ride too early. The guests that have tours booked through NCL will be the first off the ship, you will need to take a later tender.

Sample some blueberries while in Bar Harbor - pie, muffins, anything.

We enjoyed our lobster at West Street Cafe... reasonably priced.

I would definitely recommend Ollie's Trolley. It is a easy walk from the tender port. One word of caution, since you are not booking through the cruise line, do not book your trolley ride too early. The guests that have tours booked through NCL will be the first off the ship, you will need to take a later tender.

Sample some blueberries while in Bar Harbor - pie, muffins, anything.

We enjoyed our lobster at West Street Cafe... reasonably priced.

We booked Oli's trolley also and after reading about customs and tendering in Bar Harbor we contacted them and changed our time from 10 am to 11 am in case we got held up on the ship. So looking forward to our trip.

Ollie's Trollley is only offering a 9:30 am tour. we arrive on the Dawn at 8:00 and tender. Do you think that would be a tough time to make?

I wish I could remember what time we scheduled our tour... we almost missed it. It all depends on what tender time you can get. Do you have any perks with NCL, such Haven guest or Latitude reward category (Gold and above get priority tender tickets). If you are on the Gem you shouldn't have to worry as much as BA...not near as many people trying to get off at the same time. Book you tender tickets as early as possible, check when you get on the ship.

• 1 month later...

Oops. Signed up through ship for Lulu Lobster boat tour. Really interesting and lots of fun! Dress warm though. Delicious chowder at West Street also best dessert of trip - blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream. (We plan to return on own to tour Acadia when we have more time. )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regal princess going next week:

i intentionally didnt book anything and see that the peggys cove ship tour has both the 1030 and afternoon tour with 20 available. that sounds like no one booked yet. with just a week out do you think id be safe waiting until on the ship to book it? ive done minimal research on halfax and saint john. i have to admit the caves would be cool to go see but with ships tour i think the caves arent guaranteed with tides and unsure i want to rent a car.

i was thinking of doing the peggys cove 1030 to 130 and walking the boardwalk and eating something there. gf really is into lighthouses.

Regal princess going next week:

i intentionally didnt book anything and see that the peggys cove ship tour has both the 1030 and afternoon tour with 20 available. that sounds like no one booked yet. with just a week out do you think id be safe waiting until on the ship to book it? ive done minimal research on halfax and saint john. i have to admit the caves would be cool to go see but with ships tour i think the caves arent guaranteed with tides and unsure i want to rent a car.

i was thinking of doing the peggys cove 1030 to 130 and walking the boardwalk and eating something there. gf really is into lighthouses.

Peggy's Cove is a good distance from the port so some sort of tour is a good idea unless you can afford to hire a cab or something. There is a beautiful light house there on the rocks. To be honest here are fantastic lighthouse in many of the NE and Canada ports. I rented a bike in 4 ports and rode to a number of them just to see them and take some pictures. BTW, if you like Lobster there was a little place in PC where they were cooking them right on the street there and people would eat them at a Picnic table.

That lobster place is Ryers and they are not cooking lobster for the public this year. You can rent a car, hire a taxi or take a tour to Peggy's Cove. It will be crowded if there are several ships in town which there are pretty well every day in October. Here is a link to more information: http://*******/2wJOjW3

That lobster place is Ryers and they are not cooking lobster for the public this year. You can rent a car, hire a taxi or take a tour to Peggy's Cove. It will be crowded if there are several ships in town which there are pretty well every day in October. Here is a link to more information: http://*******/2wJOjW3

Hum, they were cooking for someone who was taking it to eat when I was there less than 2 weeks ago. I don't recall seeing a name just a plain Jane trailer with several big pots of water cooking them. The people put a plastic bib on and sat at a table and ate it with a ton of melted butter. Maybe it wasn't Ryder's I saw.

Sent from my iPad using Forums