Ny Gee

nygee

Booked to Sail on MSC Orchestra Italy to Brazil October 2010 as in Brouchure,but we see now the same cruise is on offer for the 18 October,11 November and 1 December 2010 Can anyone tell me which date is right as Agents can not tell us !!:rolleyes:

Booked to Sail on MSC Orchestra Italy to Brazil October 2010 as in Brouchure,but we see now the same cruise is on offer for the 18 October,11 November and 1 December 2010 Can anyone tell me which date is right as Agents can not tell us !!:rolleyes:

It is only showing as 11 November on the UK website. It still seems to be doing med cruises in October.

I'm doing the reverse cruise on the Orchestra next month, except I finish in Dover instead of Italy

Mondo,

Are you also doing the reverse in October - just noticed you're sign off sailings also show the October transatlantic?

Wish we could do something as long as this - we're going to try our first transatlantic this fall. Found a 12 day on NCL on October 4 which fits my whacky work schedule. So we're going to give it a try - we really love the ports - but also love the sea days for relaxation.

Mondo,

Are you also doing the reverse in October - just noticed you're sign off sailings also show the October transatlantic?

Wish we could do something as long as this - we're going to try our first transatlantic this fall. Found a 12 day on NCL on October 4 which fits my whacky work schedule. So we're going to give it a try - we really love the ports - but also love the sea days for relaxation.

I wish I were. The long repositioning voyages are my absolute favourite. I just love all those sea days to relax in between all the frenectic activity on the prot intensive sections. passengers seem to be more hilled out too and more willing to mix with others than just stick with who they sailed with. The october cruise I'm doing is a 8 night out of Genoa with 4 Spanish ports, Gibraltar and Lisbon.

Hope you have a great time on your transatlantic.

yes this cruise is also listed as 11th Nov on Australian MSC site.

We are seriously looking at doing the Brazil to Europe cruise on the Orchestra around this time next year. Amomondo I really look forward to your feedback from your cruise as well as info on your time in Sao Paulo/santos pre-cruise.

Thanks for all the replys

MSC have at last writen to me (12th March 2010 ) confirming that the cruise is now going on the 11th November 2010 and ends in Rio de Janeiro on the 24th November :confused::rolleyes: Umm ! seems to have lost a few days ! After 45 minutes of holding on the phone,a very nice person (no names just in case ) gave me an apology :o Cruise Critic's are right over dates and MSC have it Wrong. Sails 11th November 2010 from GENOA and ends in SANTOS 28th November or so they are now saying :mad: They did say they would E-mail me with details,but that was four hours ago !!:( We can but hope !!

It is only showing as 11 November on the UK website. It still seems to be doing med cruises in October.

I'm doing the reverse cruise on the Orchestra next month, except I finish in Dover instead of Italy

I hope you have a great time:cool:

yes this cruise is also listed as 11th Nov on Australian MSC site.

We are seriously looking at doing the Brazil to Europe cruise on the Orchestra around this time next year. Amomondo I really look forward to your feedback from your cruise as well as info on your time in Sao Paulo/santos pre-cruise.

I have to say that I'm dreading the Sao Paolo/Santos bit. the flight leaves heathrow the night before (21.30) and we arrive Sao Paolo on the morning of the cruise at 5.30am (Brazil time). It's then a tour transfer to the ship. Not sure if we will be able to board right away or not but after a night on a plane with next to no sleep _ i'm going to be very anxious to see my cabin! i did enquire about flying out a day extra and having a night in santos but that was going to cost an extra £394! Also crossing my fingers that the BA strikes are all over by then.

I have to say that I'm dreading the Sao Paolo/Santos bit. the flight leaves heathrow the night before (21.30) and we arrive Sao Paolo on the morning of the cruise at 5.30am (Brazil time). It's then a tour transfer to the ship. Not sure if we will be able to board right away or not but after a night on a plane with next to no sleep _ i'm going to be very anxious to see my cabin! i did enquire about flying out a day extra and having a night in santos but that was going to cost an extra £394! Also crossing my fingers that the BA strikes are all over by then.

I wish you the best of luck ! This is why we booked the trip going to Brazil,and if we get stuck in Santos so be it,at least we wont have to pay MSC charges or their outrageous hotel fees charged per person. Happy cruising my friend :)

Dear friends:

My wife and I were on a Brazil to Europe repositioning cruise on MSC a few years ago. While we had a nice time, there are several things one should know in advance.

When a ship spends the Northern hemisphere winter homeporting in a place like Brazil, it is usually geared to be an immersion cruise -- with crew, activities, etc. more geared towards that local market.

The cruise back up to Europe usually still keeps the same crew, and the crew turnaround usually takes place when the ship arrives in Europe to start the new Spring/Summer season.

On our cruise there were several hundred Brazilians onboard who really had no intention of visiting Europe as tourists, but rather were on the cruise because they were trying to emigrate to Europe.

The Italian and Spanish authorities didn't let our ship dock at any of the ports and it was a diplomatic mission to at least let us Europeans off the ship.

I'm sure that MSC has worked things out over all of these years, but I still feel you should know that this type of cruise is somewhat different from what you might be used to.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks for the warning Gunther and Uta. I will be prepared for that. the aspect of the crew being geared towards the Brazilian home market does not concern me in the slighest. I never want my own "home" experience when I travel and it probably means I'll have the chance to improve on the little Portunguese that I now. Not being able to get off in a few of the European ports would be a disappointment but not the end of the world. The only one that I've never visited before is tenerife. For me this cruise is about resting and relaxing and getting some warm weather above all. Thanks anyway for warning us though. Not everyone looking at this type of voyage will have the same agenda as I have.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you manage to get to Santos! what's the news on your flights ?

We now have are flights ! well sort of :mad: we live in Cheshire and MSC has come up with Manchester to Heathrow ,Heathrow to Milan, then by road 2hours to Genoa .This means an overnight stay at Heathrow. We have asked them why not fly Manchester to Gatwick, Gatwick to Genoa with an over night stay in Genoa,that way we at least get to see Genoa ! Lets wait and see what the have to say !!!!:rolleyes:

We now have are flights ! well sort of :mad: we live in Cheshire and MSC has come up with Manchester to Heathrow ,Heathrow to Milan, then by road 2hours to Genoa .This means an overnight stay at Heathrow. We have asked them why not fly Manchester to Gatwick, Gatwick to Genoa with an over night stay in Genoa,that way we at least get to see Genoa ! Lets wait and see what the have to say !!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Nygee

A few years ago they flew me into Milan and bused us down from there, but more recently they've given me Edinburgh -Gatwick, Gatwick- genoa which is an awful lot better. i hate coach journeys and its only about 15-20 minutes from genoa airport to the port. If they won't chnage, try going on to the BA site to see if there is still availability for the genoa flight and if so how much. BA is usually not too steep for one way European flights. If it is available, you could ask MSC how much they'd deduct off your cruise prce for making your own flight arrangements. You would lose the airport transfer but really no biggie as it is such a short trip.

I'm doing my own flight for my Oct trip leaving from Genoa. It worked out over £50 cheaper and I got the flight I wanted.

As for my flight out to Sao paolo - who knows. Due to fly monday evening, so if the volcano calms down by tomorrow, there is a good chance the flight will fly to schedule. however the longer the disruption continues, the more uncertain it all becaomes. I'm not at the panic stage (yet) there is still time left but am starting to have visions of us trying to chase the ship around Brazil to embark before it starts the transatlantic crossing. Absolute worse case, guess I fly to tenerif 9 days later and have a short cruise from the canaries to Dover!

Hi Nygee

A few years ago they flew me into Milan and bused us down from there, but more recently they've given me Edinburgh -Gatwick, Gatwick- genoa which is an awful lot better. i hate coach journeys and its only about 15-20 minutes from genoa airport to the port. If they won't chnage, try going on to the BA site to see if there is still availability for the genoa flight and if so how much. BA is usually not too steep for one way European flights. If it is available, you could ask MSC how much they'd deduct off your cruise prce for making your own flight arrangements. You would lose the airport transfer but really no biggie as it is such a short trip.

I'm doing my own flight for my Oct trip leaving from Genoa. It worked out over £50 cheaper and I got the flight I wanted.

As for my flight out to Sao paolo - who knows. Due to fly monday evening, so if the volcano calms down by tomorrow, there is a good chance the flight will fly to schedule. however the longer the disruption continues, the more uncertain it all becaomes. I'm not at the panic stage (yet) there is still time left but am starting to have visions of us trying to chase the ship around Brazil to embark before it starts the transatlantic crossing. Absolute worse case, guess I fly to tenerif 9 days later and have a short cruise from the canaries to Dover!

Well I hope it all works out for you,good luck my friend you should have some great stories when you return.

Well I hope it all works out for you,good luck my friend you should have some great stories when you return.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm trying to get up the enthusiasm to start getting the packing done but there just isn't the usual sense of anticipation and there is part of me feeling like I'm wasting my time... Anyway I guess if the worst happens and I don't get out on Monday, there is still a chance that I can catch the ship at Recife.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm trying to get up the enthusiasm to start getting the packing done but there just isn't the usual sense of anticipation and there is part of me feeling like I'm wasting my time... Anyway I guess if the worst happens and I don't get out on Monday, there is still a chance that I can catch the ship at Recife.

Well you could always transfer onto the November trip ! then if we get stuck in Santos we could have a good long drink together ! Just to cheer you up look on the bright side for my job I do Airport transfer's (taxi's )No flights ! no work, no work,no pay ! just a list a mile long of jobs the wife wants me to catch up on:eek:........ Good luck

Well you could always transfer onto the November trip ! then if we get stuck in Santos we could have a good long drink together ! Just to cheer you up look on the bright side for my job I do Airport transfer's (taxi's )No flights ! no work, no work,no pay ! just a list a mile long of jobs the wife wants me to catch up on:eek:........ Good luck

Sunday: I've just been told no flights for the next 3 days :( So how about I drive you to Santos.

Archived