So free water during dinner after all??

catharina

This was Richard Sasso's respone on the water and beverages question:

Dear irishguy:

You’re going to love the beautiful Splendida. As is customary for MSC Cruises in the Mediterranean, we provide bottled mineral water at no charge during dinner. During other meal service times, guests purchase bottled mineral water. We serve tea and coffee (American) in the Caribbean at no charge. However, coffee and tea are only available in the Mediterranean for free at the buffets. Some cruise lines like MSC have instituted a room service charge. However, at MSC, room service meals are still free in the Caribbean. Cruising still remains the best value in vacationing.

Thank you, Rick

REALLY? do they provide free water during dinner? How do I obtain this? I can't imagine he is right since everyone is complaining about this.

Any insight on the accuracy of his statement?

Greetings

Cat

Bottled mineral water is NOT free during dinner or at any time on the ship. You can buy a booklet of coupons which reduces the cost per bottle a little but your still pay. Tap water is free however - just ask your waiter to bring you a pitcher of tap water each evening. Looks like Rick Sasso got a little confused when typing his reply.

No definitely never free in my experience either. However last year I was aware that people that had booked through US TAs had been given free vouchers to excahnge for water at dinner. This may be what he is referring to or maybe they have changed their poicy - though I do doubt it, Think it is more likely to be another informational disconnect between MSC Europe and MSC USA

Is tap water safe to drink on the Northern Europe and Baltics cruises?

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

if you are referring to onboard then yes it is. if you are talking about on land, then I'd say yes in the Scandinavian countries - I'm not so sure about the other countries water quality

I called msc and they told me this is a new promotion for their European cruises where they get either sparkling water or bottled water (one per day) in everyones stateroom.

Well that's good news. i always get through one per day of the still water in the cabin, so it will be a small saving not t have to pay for it. I'll put them to the test in October when I'm sailing the med. don't suppose they'll be doing it on my one next montha as that starts outside Europe.

if you are referring to onboard then yes it is. if you are talking about on land, then I'd say yes in the Scandinavian countries - I'm not so sure about the other countries water quality

Thank you. I should have been more specific...I meant onboard the ship. We always get bottled water on land.

Regards,

Arlene

I called msc and they told me this is a new promotion for their European cruises where they get either sparkling water or bottled water (one per day) in everyones stateroom.

This is good news. I will test it out in July for my east & west med. what about dinner in MDR? Do we bring the bottle to the MDR?

well I will put this to the test TOMORROW :-)

But since you obtained this information from an american office, I am not sure it will also be for us Europeans

we'll see and I'll let you know when we get back!

Hope you have a great time Catharina. looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back

MSC UK Has email me a reply to the free water .

They say Mr Sasso is president of MSC USA and he must be talking about USA clents it may be an offer valid to MSC USA clients only:confused:

Water is not free for UK clients in med ,only on cruise from UK ports Opera from Dover

Must book my next cruise from usa site (he he)

I let you know any update as on on Easter cruise 4th April on Fantasia

This was Richard Sasso's respone on the water and beverages question:

Dear irishguy:

You’re going to love the beautiful Splendida. As is customary for MSC Cruises in the Mediterranean, we provide bottled mineral water at no charge during dinner. During other meal service times, guests purchase bottled mineral water.

Thank you, Rick

Cat

They say Mr Sasso is president of MSC USA and he must be talking about USA clents it may be an offer valid to MSC USA clients only:confused:

Water is not free for UK clients in med ,only on cruise from UK ports Opera from Dover

This is an embarrassing gaff if, as it now appears, free mineral water is not given to all passengers at dinner on Med cruises. Hard to imagine that they would give bottled water only to the yanks and not to the Brits or Europeans.

One can't help remarking that if the Pres of the company (US subsidiary or otherwise) can't get a hot topic issue right in a public meeting, it speaks volumes about the competence of the organization.

I let you know any update as on on Easter cruise 4th April on Fantasia

That sounds ridiculous. How do they know who is from the USA?

Regards,

Arlene

This is an embarrassing gaff if, as it now appears, free mineral water is not given to all passengers at dinner on Med cruises. Hard to imagine that they would give bottled water only to the yanks and not to the Brits or Europeans.

One can't help remarking that if the Pres of the company (US subsidiary or otherwise) can't get a hot topic issue right in a public meeting, it speaks volumes about the competence of the organization.

They have given free water to the Americans in the past in the Med. They give them vouchers for the mineral water to use at dinner. Reason is that they are not used to having to buy bottled water when they cruise on American lines so it is something MSC USA does for clients booking through them. Not fair, but it has certainly happened in the past, so would not be surprised if the USA subsidiary are doing this again.

From time to time in Canada, there are promotions from the TA such as OBC, free shuttle from airport to port or free bottle water pkg, but these usually higher price then you book individually on your own. We booked our 2 July med. cruises from last year May, of course there wasn't any promotions from the TA but we got very good cabins choice (quad) and had free upgrade since. No free water pkg for us.

They have given free water to the Americans in the past in the Med. They give them vouchers for the mineral water to use at dinner. Reason is that they are not used to having to buy bottled water when they cruise on American lines so it is something MSC USA does for clients booking through them. Not fair, but it has certainly happened in the past, so would not be surprised if the USA subsidiary are doing this again.

My point is that Sasso is reported to have said "As is customary for MSC Cruises in the Mediterranean, we provide bottled mineral water at no charge during dinner." In fact, free water is not given to all passengers on Med cruises according to poster essexcruise. It matters not whether vouchers are given to US cits or the bottled water is given w/o the use of vouchers, the fact remains that Sasso's statement is false. Am I missing something? If not, then Mr Sasso should publicly correct his misstatement.

Hi:

I just received an email with my travel documents and it says "Mineral Water for American/Canadian Guests on European Cruises - 1 bottle of mineral still or sparkling 100cl per cabin per day - Consumption regulated by the use of vouchers (to be delivered to guests at the embarkation).

I hope this answers everyone's questions about water.

Regards,

Arlene

Hi:

I just received an email with my travel documents and it says "Mineral Water for American/Canadian Guests on European Cruises - 1 bottle of mineral still or sparkling 100cl per cabin per day - Consumption regulated by the use of vouchers (to be delivered to guests at the embarkation).

I hope this answers everyone's questions about water.

Regards,

Arlene

I haven't received my travel docs yet. I hope we get the same deal, I guess I'll hold off on "pre ordering" a beverage package till I receive the docs.

Thanks for the info Arlene

Just got back fromk the cruise. We did NOT have free water in our room or anywhere. I guess it is for american passengers only, which is kind of dicriminatory of you ask me. But i did not let it ruin a great cruise! :-)

review will follow shortly

Bottle water is certainly not free at dinner! We were not offered the option of tap water either.

The only place you could get water free was at the buffet where there was a machine for water and ice. The first time I got water I found it to be slightly lukewarm so wondered whether it was actually safe to drink.

Tea and coffee was only free at breakfast and at afternoon tea which was bedlam with everyone pushing in the line and only one person serving hundreds of people. We did order tea/coffee free via room service most mornings which was brought to our cabin - no complaints there.

I don't object to paying for coffee, it's just a pain to have to leave the dining room to go to a bar and order it. Would rather they cut dinner down from 6 to 5 courses and offer coffee at the end.

Archived