Surprise - Should I or Shouldn't I

LittleJones

I'm thinking of surprising my wife with a suite on our upcoming Horizon cruise in 2019.

Has anyone else successfully pulled this off without the person knowing until super close to sailing time? I figure she will find out eventually, however, I am the one who handles anything cruise or trip related.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Just make sure all internet mail regarding cruise just comes to your email. Put your email down under her information as well. You will have to tell her eventually.... Packing needs, etc But you do not need to mention a thing about the suite. If she asks...just say you got a regular balcony .....Then walk her to the room and open the door...Surprise. Having a nice bottle of wine or champagne waiting, would also be a nice touch!!

I've successfully surprised my wife with cabin upgrades. We usually cruise in inside cabins. Occasionally a deal will arrive that allows me to upgrade to ocean view or balcony. She usually finds out after we board. So, it is possible. I guess it depends on how involved she gets in the planning etc.

I like the idea of some champagne waiting. She would love that. I'm pretty sure I can pull this off because she does nothing with the management of the trip... I handle everything, she just tells me what she wants to do.

Thank you!

Go for it!

I've never surprised DH with a cabin upgrade....but I've surprised him with gifts (decorations, flowers) and he's happy. If I told him in advance he'd say it was a waste of money.

I agree with April- my DH is just the same yet he loves those little surprises!!!

Go for it! And you should be able to keep it a secret from her, based on what you said about how you manage the planning of your cruises...

The only gotcha is checking in and boarding early- those are benefits of booking a suite... if you're not a VIP then taking advantage of those benefits might tip your hand early. Are you already Platinum or Diamond? If so, then she won't notice the difference.

I'm surprising my hubby with a back to back next week. I can't believe I haven't blown up yet. It's been terribly hard not to tell him. I'm planning on telling him on the last morning of the first leg. We won't be going home on April fools :D

Personally i would hate to be surprised with a cruise. I get much joy out of the anticipation.

BUT, I would love being surprised with an upgraded cabin, champagne or wine, or even flowers. If you normally handle the booking anyway there's no particular reason she should know you have changed cabins.

I think it's a wonderful thing for you to do.

I'm thinking of surprising my wife with a suite on our upcoming Horizon cruise in 2019.

Has anyone else successfully pulled this off without the person knowing until super close to sailing time? I figure she will find out eventually, however, I am the one who handles anything cruise or trip related.

I pulled it off as a series of surprises & she loved it. I just told her what to pack - shorts, tees & a cocktail dress. In order to use miles we had to fly through Charlotte, but I had airline club passes for the layover. Finally told her it was a cruise the next morning while waiting for the shuttle. We had always taken an inside cabin, so she was surprised when she realized our cabin was on the other side of the hallway. The look on her face was priceless when she opened the door & stepped inside to see a sofa, a balcony, a dressing area, a bar & a whirlpool tub. Go for it!

Edited by Garth2
typo

I'm surprising DH with a suite for our Alaska cruise. He thinks we are getting a balcony and he helped me choose the location. Luckily the suite is 2 doors down from where he thinks we will be. I take care of all the billing etc so there is really no way for him to find out until we arrive. The one thing I would recommend is getting Faster to the Fun if you want to surprise her when she walks into the room. If you don't have FttF you will have Priority boarding and you'll end up having to explain why you are in the priority line.

last year when i booked the Med cruise on the Horizon we got the Havana Cabana Cabin then about a month later DW wanted to do the TA also but our cabin for the TA was taken so i booked a deluxe ocean view cabin but i kept checking and our cabin became available so i cancelled the OV and booked our same cabin ( she has no idea) about the change so i will tell her when we get to our cabin that it will be our home for 24 days she has no clue.

Don’t do it. Nobody warned me.

As a sign of my love and as a surprise, I upgraded to First Class on our flights and a Suite for our cabin.

It’s cost me a fortune ever since.

Keep costs and expectations low. You’ll be able to meet her expectations forever.

When my now hubby and I took our first cruise together, we had initially booked an oceanview cabin. A couple months before we sailed, I got an unexpected bonus at work, so I decided to use it to upgrade us to a balcony. My plan was to NOT tell him and keep it a surprise. But since we didn't live together at the time, he did all of his check-in stuff on his own. I was hoping he wouldn't notice our cabin class on the check-in screen...but he did. He called me cause he thought they had messed up our reservation. I assured him that they hadn't messed anything up and had to confess to my shenanigans. As I suspected he was very pleasantly surprised and it gave him something extra to look forward to!

I am going to go for it! I have 2 other cabins on the booking so I will get FTTF for those, and she should be none the wiser. Thank you all for your feedback and comments! She is gonna be super surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've surprised DH with birthday cruises about 4 times over the years and have another one booked for 2019. The cruises usually leave a few days after his birthday so in his birthday card I write that we have to pick up his present on such and such day at the Port of Tampa on the Paradise in cabin #____. He is always so surprised and thrilled. I don't do it every year so he doesn't always suspect it, although I did it this past Jan. and will again next Jan. I have my clothes together in my closet ready to be packed and have passports, cash, etc. all ready to go. Doesn't take him long to get his clothes ready for packing and he has a couple of days to get excited. After 44 cruises, we both still get excited about cruising!

Aww I love this! I bet she will be so excited when she opens the door and realizes that the room is different! The person surprising their hubby with back to back cruises, that's a great idea! I will have to remember that one. There is no way we can do it now, but when we are retired maybe because of work schedules.

I am going to go for it! I have 2 other cabins on the booking so I will get FTTF for those, and she should be none the wiser. Thank you all for your feedback and comments! She is gonna be super surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If at all possible, try to get one of the ones in the Havana area.The HS category is on deck 5 (Havana suite) 5233, 5234, 5235, 5236. Other options are the corner aft deluxe balconies on decks 6, 7, 8 & 9. This would give you 12 options. Here is a YouTube video from 5234, JimZim, a YouTube/CruiseCritic veteran.

I usually get an inside but got a balcony for our 30th last October on the Vista Our room was 8430 so I stopped at 8340 thought it was our cabin (dyslexic moment) and she said no this cant be ours its a balcony.. yes dear you're right..... so went to 8430 and told her to open the door she went in and said "This is ours" yes and happy anniversary and then NIAGARA FALLS best to keep it a secret IMHO