Leknes Lofoten Question

If anyone has cruised to the Lofoten Islands in Norway before, specifically the tender in Leknes...

Were shuttles available at the port to take you into the town of Leknes? Or do you have to walk?

(Our online research has shown that the actual town is around 4km from the port)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was a shuttle but from those who we talked to there was nothing of great interest in Leknes. The Lofoten’s are beautiful and you really want to get out into the islands. I rented a car and drove to Å. It was a wonderful trip with many photo and other stops available.

There was a shuttle but from those who we talked to there was nothing of great interest in Leknes. The Lofoten’s are beautiful and you really want to get out into the islands. I rented a car and drove to Å. It was a wonderful trip with many photo and other stops available.

Thank you! That is exactly what we are planning- a car rental- did they bring the rental car to the dock or did you pick it up elsewhere?

At this point we have only been able to set up online a pick up of the rental car in town... why we were wondering how best to get into town.

Thank you! That is exactly what we are planning- a car rental- did they bring the rental car to the dock or did you pick it up elsewhere?

At this point we have only been able to set up online a pick up of the rental car in town... why we were wondering how best to get into town.

I initially booked through Avis online. I was then able to contact the local Avis agent and arrange for pickup and drop off at the pier. He had a number of cars there the day we were in port. He charged 450 NOK for the service which was a little over $50 at the exchange rate when we were there in June. We drove into the outskirts of Leknes to fill up the tank before returning the car at the port.

There were 2 of us but I put out a note on my roll call that I had a rental car and where we were planning to go. We got multiple replies and arranged for another couple to join us on the tour. It made for a nice day for four and cut the cost in half. Think we ended up spending about $220 for the car itself, divided by 4. Given that the cruise line wanted $150 or more for its tours that was a bargain. Driving was easy as there is only one main road so you can’t get lost. A little more traffic than I expected, especially in the most popular tourist areas, but nothing overwhelming. We stopped many times and took pictures galore.

I initially booked through Avis online. I was then able to contact the local Avis agent and arrange for pickup and drop off at the pier. He had a number of cars there the day we were in port. He charged 450 NOK for the service which was a little over $50 at the exchange rate when we were there in June. We drove into the outskirts of Leknes to fill up the tank before returning the car at the port.

There were 2 of us but I put out a note on my roll call that I had a rental car and where we were planning to go. We got multiple replies and arranged for another couple to join us on the tour. It made for a nice day for four and cut the cost in half. Think we ended up spending about $220 for the car itself, divided by 4. Given that the cruise line wanted $150 or more for its tours that was a bargain. Driving was easy as there is only one main road so you can’t get lost. A little more traffic than I expected, especially in the most popular tourist areas, but nothing overwhelming. We stopped many times and took pictures galore.

Thank you so much- this is exactly what we needed to hear.

We have driven in Norway quite a bit on our land trip we took last summer- but we have never been to the Lofoten Islands.

Thanks again [emoji4]