Suggestions for Land Tours on SS

Rebb

My husband & I are going on the Barcelona - Civitivecchia Cruise on the Shadow Jul.23-Jul.28 and are wondering if anyone has any recommendations on some of the land tours that SS offers. Are they worth going on or are we better off exploring on our own???

My husband & I are going on the Barcelona - Civitivecchia Cruise on the Shadow Jul.23-Jul.28 and are wondering if anyone has any recommendations on some of the land tours that SS offers. Are they worth going on or are we better off exploring on our own???

In general, it's better and much less costly to go on your own, particularly if you are an experience traveler and have a good guidebook like Frommer's or Fodor's.

If it's a place you really must see and you're too far to take a taxi (like Pompeii from Sorrento), or if the timeframe is short and you want to make sure you don't miss the ship, an SS tour probably makes more sense.

Personally I think SS does a very nice job with their land tour's,and we have taken them. We are experienced traveler's,but feel SS does such a good job it is well worth it. I think hiring a private driver/guide can cost a lot more depending on the port of course. Do we do all the tours in each port..no.Sometimes we do strike out on our own if we can walk into town etc.I don't think you will be disappointed if you take the tour's.

Just basing my observation on the tours available for my forthcoming cruise, July 29 Rome to Venice, an itinerary I did in reverse last summer on the Radisson Diamond. I thought the Diamond's tours were generally overpriced and could easily be duplicated for less privately, and SS's on this cruise were even more costly. (Your mileage may vary.) For example, it's very easy to do the Venice excursions on your own for a lot less. The SS's Pompeii tour did seem fairly reasonable, and that's the only one we've booked. But the two $2,000 pp helicopter tours were outrageously overpriced! (Perhaps the insurance cost raises the price to these levels, which brings up the question why--safety problems?)

• 1 month later...

Rebb, hope your trip is going swell!

We are taking the same itinerary in September; family reunion, and would be interested in which land tours you took that were worthwhile.

Currently booked excursions with virtuoso, a travel agency.

hope to hear about your trip soon!

jake

Archived