Silver Whisper 9--30-05

DrJW

ANYONE GOING ON THE WHISPER FOR THE FALL FOLIAGE CRUISE? ...LEAVING NYC 9-30 TO NOVA SCOTIA AND RETURN TO NYC? AM EAGER TO HEAR FROM FELLOW PASSENGERS IF THEY HAVE BOOKED ANY SHIP PORT EXCURSIONS..OR IF THEY ARE GOING AT IT ON THEIR OWN?

ALSO.. ANY UPDATES ON THE SHIP'S TERRACE CAFE? WILL IT BE OPENED FOR DINNER EVERYEVENING AS AN ALTERANTIVE RESTAURANT OTHER THAN THE MAIN DINING ROOM OR JUST ON 'SELECT EVENINGS' THUS NOT HAVING ANY ALTERNATIVE RESTAURANTS OTHER THAN HAVING TO PAY EXTRA FOR THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM?

I CALLED SILVERSEA..AND INQUIRED ABOUT THE ABOVE, AND NO ONE SEEMED TO KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING. FINALLY SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT WHAT DINING VENUES ARE AVAILABLE ON SELECT CRUISE IS ENTIRELY UP TO THE 'HOTEL DIRECTOR'...ONE WOULD THINK THAT THIS IS A CORPORATE DECISION NOT AN INDIVIDUAL SHIP OR SAILING DATE DECISION.

I GET A SENSE THAT SILVERSEA IS INDEED CUTTING BACK.....VERY MUCH HOPE THAT THIS IS NOT THE CASE :confused:

I CLEARLY RECALL OUR PREVIOUS SAILING ON SILVER SEA THE DECISION WAS MADE TO ELIMINATE THE BULGARI AMENITIES....IN THE SUITES...AND THEN TO ALSO BRING THE LABEL OF THE CHAMPAGNE PROVIDED TO GUESTS..ALSO DOWN A COUPLE OF SLOTS...NEITHER OF THESE ACTUALLY HAPPENED ON OUR CRUISE...BUT THAT WAS OVER 2 YEARS AGO.. I HAVE A SENSE THAT AT THIS TIME...CUTBACKS..ARE REAL..ANY ONE KNOW?

HOPE THAT WHEN WE BOARD THE SHIP.OUR EXPRESSION WILL NOT BE: :eek:

JW,

That was a slick way to start a new thread. Asking about cruisers doing excursions on the fall foliage cruise. Seeing that 90% of your post was regarding SS's so called money problems.

Why didn't you just post under that topic?

During our September cruise on the Shadow last year, The Terrace Cafe was open every evening (pending enough reservations). It was a no charge alternative dining venue with different menus each evening. If we didn't like the menu. we simply ate at The Restaurant or Le Champagne.

Yes, I know that alcohol is not included at Le Champagne. Our meal was so fabulous along with the intimacy of the service and atmosphere (only 4 other tables) that we did not mind paying for a bottle of wine.

Once again the toiletries and champagne change are being attacked. (See the previous topic as I stated above). Sometimes change is good.

I do hope you get some good feedback regarding your itinerary.

I wish you would have left the rest of your post where it belonged. I apologize if this seems harsh. Just tired of hearing how SS and it's officers are "slipping".

We'll be on the Sept. 10th sailing of the Whisper. No worries here.

Sorry if my recent post offended....my intention was to ask two basic questions..one that I had previously that was never truly addressed..and the other about excursions...deligthed that you are positive as you are..I wish you a most pleasant cruise on the Whisper on 9-10!

DrJW

I have just returned from the Shadow and had one of the best and most memorable cruises,and I have been on forty nine cruises before this one.La Terrazza was open every evening except one which was open for a private party for forty two passengers travelling in one group.Le Champagne was ok but I felt that some dishes on the menu did not work and the way that the food arrives in the restaurant is a serious mistake.The room was obviously not designed to be a stand alone restaurant in that it has no area to serve from and to prepare and clear crockery and cutlery.The main door to the room remains open for the duration of the service and anyone passing outside on their way to La Terrazza stops to take a look and can spoil the intimacy that I think this Restaurant deserves.The door remains open and the food is brought in on a tray by a waiter.The food is covered with plastic covers,so the experience is the same as you get in room service.The tray is taken to a corner of the room and two waiting staff then walk to your table and the food is served.The head waiter Armando who was excellent in every way agreed with my comments on the service.The room is merely an extention of La Terrazza and would make a good Bar/Pre Dinner drink area.The menu in Le Champagne changes every two days and although the drinks are chargeable,they do not force you to indulge thankfully, as I managed to spend $505 on two bottles for the two of us.

The toiletries are now Aqua Di Parma and the house Champagne is Perrier Jouet which were all good and the Bulgari boutique has now been replaced with H.Stern

Regards

John

DrJW..at least you are not shouting your messages now.Hope you have a good cruise and your fears are calmed.Changes happen on any cruise line and some times they are better..best to give changes a chance.

Very recently travelled on the Shadow. The food and service were excellent (notably better than on the Cloud earlier in the year) and the choice of complimentary champagnes (ie now Pommery and Perrier Jouet) is a big improvement.

I would expect your experience on the Whisper in the Autumn to be even better than 2 years go.

Archived