Freighter Travel Research

Hello,

I am new to the forum, so hello to everyone. I actually signed up because I was doing research on freighters and travel by freighter for a project I am working on. So, I was wondering are there any currently active and serving freighter crew or captains on the site that I could speak with?

LH

Hello,

I am new to the forum, so hello to everyone. I actually signed up because I was doing research on freighters and travel by freighter for a project I am working on. So, I was wondering are there any currently active and serving freighter crew or captains on the site that I could speak with?

LH

Very few active mariners here on CC. I work tankers lately, though have done container, RO/RO, and cruise ships. There is a retired Captain username "Topsham", who is British, I believe.

Your best option would be to contact those few container lines that take passengers for answers to your questions.

I have spent many years sailing with passengers when I worked as a captain and chief mate with the now defunct Lykes Lines, and even posted a web page http://www.captainmcd.com for prospective passengers and for my family. I am still licensed and active after over 50 years in the industry, but now sailing as a volunteer captain and chief mate for Mercy Ships and YWAM, visiting interesting places like Madagascar and Papua New Guinea. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about freighters carrying passengers but no commercial websites or advertising is allowed on this forum.

• 5 months later...
I have spent many years sailing with passengers when I worked as a captain and chief mate with the now defunct Lykes Lines, and even posted a web page www.captainmcd.com for prospective passengers and for my family. I am still licensed and active after over 50 years in the industry, but now sailing as a volunteer captain and chief mate for Mercy Ships and YWAM, visiting interesting places like Madagascar and Papua New Guinea. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about freighters carrying passengers but no commercial websites or advertising is allowed on this forum.

Hello Captain, I am wondering if it is possible to sail along with our Honda Goldwing Trike (Ride on ride off or crated if necessary)from east coast US port to pretty much any European port? If so could you give me a ballpark figure for the trike?

Thanks!

Hello Captain, I am wondering if it is possible to sail along with our Honda Goldwing Trike (Ride on ride off or crated if necessary)from east coast US port to pretty much any European port? If so could you give me a ballpark figure for the trike?

Thanks!

Freighters that take passengers are almost exclusively container ships, so they won't have the ability (nor would they want the paperwork hassle to manifest your bike off and on each port) to unload/load a single motorcycle. And not many take anything that is not containerized. So, you would probably need to ship the bike in a 20' container. I did a quick freight rate search, and for a motorcycle from NYC to Amsterdam would be in the $1000-$1200 range each way.