amazon cruises

I am looking for recommendationn. I want to take a one week trip in January along the Amazon icluding rain forrest and wildlife experiences. Trying to decide whether to take a trip in either the Peruvian or the Brazilian portions of Amazon. Recommendations? suggestions? Thanks

I see that this question was posted long ago but wanted to respond, since things have changed. We just returned from a river cruise on the NEW International Expeditions river boat, La Estrella. While their old boat may have been lacking, this new one provided a wonderful way to see the Peruvian Amazon in comfort. Cabins, the dining room, and the lecture room are air-conditioned, and since the boat was generally under way in the evenings, the open-air bar/lounge/observation area on the third deck was a wonderful gathering place. The naturalist guides were fantastic, and all was organized perfectly, from our arrival in Lima through our flight to Iquitos to the week aboard La Estrella.

Please don't assume that International Expeditions is still using an out-dated, uncomfortable river boat. Our experience on La Estrella was fabulous.

• 2 months later...
I see that this question was posted long ago but wanted to respond, since things have changed. We just returned from a river cruise on the NEW International Expeditions river boat, La Estrella. While their old boat may have been lacking, this new one provided a wonderful way to see the Peruvian Amazon in comfort. Cabins, the dining room, and the lecture room are air-conditioned, and since the boat was generally under way in the evenings, the open-air bar/lounge/observation area on the third deck was a wonderful gathering place. The naturalist guides were fantastic, and all was organized perfectly, from our arrival in Lima through our flight to Iquitos to the week aboard La Estrella.

Please don't assume that International Expeditions is still using an out-dated, uncomfortable river boat. Our experience on La Estrella was fabulous.

I was happy to read your good review on La Estrella as we just booked a cruise with them for February next year. I hope this is a good month to travel the Amazon and not too wet as I understand it will be rainy season.

I can't remember if I posted the link to the actual review I wrote on the International Expeditions Amazon trip, but it's a rave :) -- here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=776

Carolyn

I was happy to read your good review on La Estrella as we just booked a cruise with them for February next year. I hope this is a good month to travel the Amazon and not too wet as I understand it will be rainy season.

Hi, just a heads up that Sarah Schlichter, one of our staff editors, just got back from a Galapagos trip with IE and is working on her review, slide show, etc. She loved the experience...will keep you posted when we have a link.

Carolyn

Would love to hear more as I am planning Galapagos and wanted to put the Aria on as a pre trip.....anything you would change or did not like?

• 3 months later...

Whatever shots like yellow fever an typhoid , from the CDC website those will carry us over for 10 years! Having been to Africa last year got us up on all of our shots! Including malaria pills as well! Don't think there is anything else we need to do! I do always sign up on step.state.gov for up to date info on whatever countries we are traveling to! So Ecuador was the only category I had to put down for this trip in May!

Edited by rosewood jo
Misspelled words

Whatever shots like yellow fever an typhoid , from the CDC website those will carry us over for 10 years! Having been to Africa last year got us up on all of our shots! Including malaria pills as well! Don't think there is anything else we need to do! I do always sign up on step.state.gov for up to date info on whatever countries we are traveling to! So Ecuador was the only category I had to put down for this trip in May!

Thanks for info. I was thinking along the same line but wasn't sure.

• 4 weeks later...

We have just come back from a Galapagos cruise and the Napo Wildlife Center Lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon jungle. On our way to the lodge, we saw two luxurious river boats for cruising: the M/V Anaconda and the M/V Manatee.

If you are in the Galapagos, it makes sense to add a river cruise in Ecuador instead of Brazil or Peru. You will probably fly back from the islands to Quito. The flight to Coca on the Napo river is only half an hour from Quito's new airport. You are still in the same country with the same currency - the USD.

A flight to Peru or Brazil is much longer with several connecting flights, for example Quito - Lima (immigration, new currency) - Maldonado via Cusco.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
I just did the Amazon on International Expeditions. Lousy lousy lousy boat!! No indoor area except the dining room so we got eaten alive by the mosquitos. No screens on doors or windows and even the cabins were full of bugs, ants, roaches, mosquitoes. If i could redo the trip I'd look at Lindblad whose boat the delfin 2 looks wonderful. We saw the Aqua and she looked grand, I wouldn't hesitate to book on that either.

It sounds like they have a new ship since this original post was made and that the new ship is much more comfortable? Their website makes the ship out to be very nice.