Dress Code

gkgk123ca

We are currently on a 21 day transpacific, Kobe to Vancouver. No need for shorts, it is cold. Kobe was warm, however, from there you sail north and it gets colder. The highest temperature we have seen is 52 and often it was closer to 40. If we add the winds you can imagine the cold. The Patio is open but those brave folks are hunkered down in Seabourn parkas, hats and blankets. Question, is there a Seabourn South Pacific crossing? There would be totally different weather down south.

Really the wrong thread for this question,, but here's your answer https://www.seabourn.com/cruise-search?destCode=J&cfVer=undefined

We are currently on a 21 day transpacific, Kobe to Vancouver. No need for shorts, it is cold. Kobe was warm, however, from there you sail north and it gets colder. The highest temperature we have seen is 52 and often it was closer to 40. If we add the winds you can imagine the cold. The Patio is open but those brave folks are hunkered down in Seabourn parkas, hats and blankets. Question, is there a Seabourn South Pacific crossing? There would be totally different weather down south.

Why not ask your TA?

• 1 month later...

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, I have scanned the last few pages.

First Seabourn cruise later this summer, Mediterranean. Most of the chatter is about formal nights, I think that part is clear. On non-formal nights, polo shirts are acceptable in all restaurants? The documentation seems to mention "collared dress shirts" but casual slacks + polo is ok/will not look out of place? Thanks.

You have my sympathy. 960 expert opinions to wade through. "Light touch paper and stand back" was the instruction on fireworks in the days kids could buy them.

Your polo shirt would not look out of place in the brasserie (whatever it is called these days) or at the grill on the deck. You would look out of place in the MDR or whatever speciality fine-dining restaurants there are on your vessel. I am not saying you would be turned away..

Polo neck sweaters, which I assume are not what you are suggesting, are different and look more in keeping with what others are wearing in the smarter dining areas.

Tony - a Brit for reference.

A polo shirt would be acceptable, but you would find more men in shirts of woven, rather than knitted, fabric. The sort of casual shirt often seen in stripes or small checks, usually tucked into the trousers; possibly with short sleeves in hot weather. If you really like to wear a polo shirt, I would recommend one in a plain dark colour; tends to look smarter than the more colourful striped ones. (Just my opinion of course).

Sorry but agree with Nomads that a polo shirt is not a “ collared dress shirt.” I must say that I often think people post questions on the dress code thread not so much to get clarification but rather to receive permission to deviate from the required dress code.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I appreciate the input! This seems so subjective, maybe some visuals will help. Specifically for non-formal nights:

1. Sharp, clean, polo no stripes or logos:

1686.png?w=480&h=600

2. Collared dress shirt. Meets the "letter of the law" of the dress code but casually untucked/non-pressed: Mens-8738303-14_2618.jpg

3. Casual short sleeve but silk/nicer shirt with collar:

61vEVh8ctRL._UX342_.jpg

4. Another seemingly casual but nice cotton or silk shirt:

6c262ada93c296eeaf08ff11b1d4fd58--mens-short-sleeve-shirts-short-sleeves.jpg

Technically only #2 would be acceptable in MDR for non-formal nights, but would the others be out of place or commonly seen also? Shame I can't do a poll it seems, thanks again for input.

Technically only #2 would be acceptable in MDR for non-formal nights,

But pressed and tucked in.

, but would the others be out of place or commonly seen also? Out of place in the MDR.

Likewise short sleeves are the wrong look for the MDR.

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, I have scanned the last few pages.

First Seabourn cruise later this summer, Mediterranean. Most of the chatter is about formal nights, I think that part is clear. On non-formal nights, polo shirts are acceptable in all restaurants? The documentation seems to mention "collared dress shirts" but casual slacks + polo is ok/will not look out of place? Thanks.

If you go back a page or two, at post 910 I started what turned into a, shall we say, spirited discussion on the topic of polos which I think you'll find worth your time.

If you go back a page or two, at post 910 I started what turned into a, shall we say, spirited discussion on the topic of polos which I think you'll find worth your time.

I just read it all, thanks Robisan - very amusing.

I think Hoyaheel also said it best:

It's an important topic for some, that's why it's discussed ad nauseum. [i've just booked my first Seabourn cruise, I want to make sure I know what to expect - that includes what the dress code is AND how the dress code is interpreted on board....Not always the same things]

I think there is a lot of confusion around "collared dress shirt" - it does NOT say long sleeves only. So while something like this: product_223_file02.jpg qualifies, while it looks terrible to me and any of the "more casual" silk shirts/polo I posted previously seem a better choice for a "casual" night dinner.

Appreciate all the input again and I will report back after my Med trip!

Well again back to my question, are you really looking for clarification or absolution? There is a difference between what is allowed and what some people try to get away with. Seems to me what you are really asking is can you get away with a polo shirt which you know is not allowed. That is like asking if even though the speed limit is 65 can you still get a ticket if you are going 70.

And no, FWIIW I don’t think even the nicest polo shirt looks better than a pressed, collared shirt.

Well again back to my question, are you really looking for clarification or absolution? There is a difference between what is allowed and what some people try to get away with. Seems to me what you are really asking is can you get away with a polo shirt which you know is not allowed. That is like asking if even though the speed limit is 65 can you still get a ticket if you are going 70.

Absolution I suppose. But I'm asking about the current REALITY of the situation for casual nights, not simply the minimum viable clothing.

If in actual casual-night, recent SB cruises half the MDR is polo shirts/nice hawaiian/silk short sleeve shirts then yes i'd feel comfortable wearing same, regardless of the text of the dress code.

If in actual casual-night, recent SB cruises the entire MDR is is suit-slacks and a starched long-sleeved collared dress shirt (essentially a nice suit with no tie and jacket optional) - then i'd like to know that as well.

So not just looking for absolution, I'd like to know the current reality of the situation - thanks.

If in actual casual-night, recent SB cruises half the MDR is polo shirts/nice hawaiian/silk short sleeve shirts then yes i'd feel comfortable wearing same, regardless of the text of the dress code.

NO

If in actual casual-night, recent SB cruises the entire MDR is is suit-slacks and a starched long-sleeved collared dress shirt (essentially a nice suit with no tie and jacket optional) - then i'd like to know that as well.

YES

I have been on many Seabourn Med cruises over the last 17 years and can tell you there will always be a few people who are either somehow entirely ignorant of the dress code or intentionally chose to ignore it. Is Seabourn more casual than it was when we started sailing on it? Yes. Do most people still adhere to the very unrestrictive ( IMHO) dress code ? Yes. I will also note that it varies from cruise to cruise the degree to which the Restaurant Manager allows passengers to get away with non compliant garb. If I were you I would not want to risk being called on it even though you might slide by. Just toss a couple of dress shirts in your case and enjoy the cruise and wonderful service.

FWIW, when looking at pics and video from Seabourn cruises I've been looking at evening shirt attire and have yet to see anyone wearing a polo shirt. Admittedly, only small percentage of pix/video are evening pics and there's usually some evening event prompting the pix/video, so the sample isn't conclusive. However, based on this, reluctantly, I will be packing assuming polos are a no-go in the evening and will happily adjust accordingly if I see differently when aboard.

...Adding, if I were Seabourn's benevolent dictator the dress rule would be elegant dress casual in MDR/TK and elegant country club casual everywhere else, which IMO would be a happy compromise while maintaining reasonable decorum. Sadly, I gather some would look at this as akin to suggesting tank tops and turning the place into Senor Frogs...

Technically only #2 would be acceptable in MDR for non-formal nights,

But pressed and tucked in.

, but would the others be out of place or commonly seen also? Out of place in the MDR.

Likewise short sleeves are the wrong look for the MDR.

Don't you love it when some posters keep citing the rules, but then make up their own ones, like a shirt has to be tucked in and pressed? LOL.

If only mature, well-heeled adults could be trusted to make mature, adult decisions...

...adding, wouldn't it be simpler and safer if SB staff played mommy and laid out evening clothes since SB pax can't be trusted to make decisions for themselves?

Don't you love it when some posters keep citing the rules, but then make up their own ones.

Wrong poster notjaded. I was not citing a rule but citing how a gentleman would wear that style of shirt.

Surely the polo shirt poster has the message now?

Move on time?

Tony

Although of course the 'rules' do state that a collared dress shirt is what is appropriate for the non-formal nights, to my mind anyway the chap in the first photo in post 958 looks much smarter than the second, and would even if the business type shirt was tucked in. I just feel that the sort of shirt normally worn with a tie and a suit looks wrong without one, unless perhaps under a jacket.

However, I do realise that it is considered unsuitable by the powers that be, and also by most posters here. My DH's answer is a thin black polo necked sweater with lightish coloured trousers, but not ideal in very hot weather.

Oh boy, our upcoming Quest cruise in September is going to be fun! I've been told that the pax on the ship will be much more laid back about rules than the people on this board.
I'll bet your food will taste just as good and everyone will have an equally wonderful time.