Celebrating my birthday on Seabourn

Turns out that my birthday will be spent on Seabourn on a sea day. I've only sailed the line once, so I wanted to ask -- what should I make sure to do on my birthday? I'm open to all your celebration ideas! (Note, I'll be traveling with a female friend and not my husband.)

Seabourn will know it's your birthday, and will surprise you with a cake etc. If you are bold enough, you might ask the Hotel Manager (or have your TA call in advance) to comp a day at The Retreat for you and your friend!

Turns out that my birthday will be spent on Seabourn on a sea day. I've only sailed the line once, so I wanted to ask -- what should I make sure to do on my birthday? I'm open to all your celebration ideas! (Note, I'll be traveling with a female friend and not my husband.)

When are you sailing. If it’s the same as us I’ll be sure to wish you a happy birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On your pre-registration form, be sure and mark the celebrations box (it’s in the same area where you request bar set up).

If your suite stewardess knows it’s your birthday, you may also be surprised in other ways. 😉

Wife had her birthday on the Encore early this year. We ticked the birthday box online in advance. She got balloons in suite, a dessert in room, candles with the dinner dessert we scheduled at the TK grill (we commented you almost never see real candles on a cruise ship), and the cruise director wished her an impromptu happy birthday when they crossed paths at the theater that evening - all without any other prompting. Wasn’t much more we thought to ask for but certainly think of any special requests and I am sure they would oblige. Happy birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a birthday on a Seabourn ship is one of life’s great pleasures. Why not arrange with Seabourn Square for a small pre-dinner birthday party in the Club for a few good friends? They will ensure that the hors d’oeuvres are served and drinks are flowing at the appointed time.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Wow! I hope I get a balloon fest in my room! Thanks for all your recommendations. I hope I meet some nice folks on my trip to celebrate with -- otherwise my friend and I will live it up. I'm torn between wanting to do something special for dinner...and going light on the meal so I can indulge in much dessert. ;p

Roxburgh's stewardess has set the bar high with the balloon fest :D.

I have had a couple of birthdays on Seabourn and it varies a bit due to the stewardess's creativity. However each celebration has been special.

Cruiser02 I hope you have a lovely 50th anniversary as that is a very special number to celebrate. Erica have a love birthday cruise.

My suggestion would be as well as marking it on Celebration Box on your pre-cruise check list, also mention it to Guest Services in Seabourn square. As you are new to Seabourn, rarely but sometimes, the paperwork pre-cruise to head office doesn't get handed on to the ship. If they know about it onboard then things work out much better.

I only mention this as a couple of times over the years reading CC I have read of people new to Seabourn who were disappointed that they didn't get anything to mark a celebration. I am assuming it was either they didn't mark the box or the paper work for that part got lost. I know I have needed the stewardess to swap out drinks or pillow choice because they have not got the memo. This wasn't a problem and they did so happily.

Julie

My suggestion would be as well as marking it on Celebration Box on your pre-cruise check list, also mention it to Guest Services in Seabourn square. As you are new to Seabourn, rarely but sometimes, the paperwork pre-cruise to head office doesn't get handed on to the ship. If they know about it onboard then things work out much better.

I only mention this as a couple of times over the years reading CC I have read of people new to Seabourn who were disappointed that they didn't get anything to mark a celebration. I am assuming it was either they didn't mark the box or the paper work for that part got lost. I know I have needed the stewardess to swap out drinks or pillow choice because they have not got the memo. This wasn't a problem and they did so happily.

Julie

I found there's no box on our bar preferences screen (or any other screen). Perhaps it's because this will be our first Seabourn cruise (21n Greece July).

Anyway, I'll follow up your helpful suggestion and notify Guest Services of our mid-cruise anniversary date.

Tony

We celebrated 2 birthdays and an anniversary on the Sojourn. Lots of balloons and stuff in our suite. Lots of special cake at dinner and in our suite. Lots of congratulations from many staff who were clued in. A special birthday group for my birthday in the dining room with yet more cake...who can have too much cake? But best yet...My husband's birthday was the same day as a dear friend who was on the World Cruise, so we reserved the old R2 restaurant for an invites-only party that was superb. Only issue was composing the invitation list, and as so many on board knew us, there were a few hurt feelings due to limited space. Still great party, and on a cruise ship...Who would have expected? Lots of great photos and memories. I don't know if you can do anything like this on any other line.

• 2 weeks later...

I celebrated my 40th on Seabourn and the room stewardess did an above and beyond job decorating my room. The towel cake was there after breakfast. The towel "man" was there after we returned for the evening of hanging in The Club. I too was traveling with another female friend and was pretty surprised when we walked in the room and music was playing and this man was waiting for me with a glass of wine. :D

14380751161_00265bf613_z.jpg

14201082050_ee60d292f5_z.jpg

My DH celebrated his birthday on the Sojourn this month. He was approached early on about his birthday and declined any public celebration in the dining room. We were told he would receive a cake in our suite. The room stewardess decorated the room but no cake arrived. We had been eating so much food that we didn’t ask about it, but I was disappointed.

In addition, we missed the violinist who performed one night and were invited to have dinner at his table with him the following night. We declined (early so they could invite someone else) because we were embarrassed that we hadn’t seen him perform. We were never invited to have dinner with any officer or entertainer again.

So I guess the moral is ... don’t decline anything. They tend to forget you if you do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by SoBaycruiser

My DH celebrated his birthday on the Sojourn this month. He was approached early on about his birthday and declined any public celebration in the dining room. We were told he would receive a cake in our suite. The room stewardess decorated the room but no cake arrived. We had been eating so much food that we didn’t ask about it, but I was disappointed.

In addition, we missed the violinist who performed one night and were invited to have dinner at his table with him the following night. We declined (early so they could invite someone else) because we were embarrassed that we hadn’t seen him perform. We were never invited to have dinner with any officer or entertainer again.

So I guess the moral is ... don’t decline anything. They tend to forget you if you do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry about your DH's birthday cake not appearing. I can imagine that would have been disappointing.

On the subject of hosted tables, one refusal definitely does not rule you out of receiving a further invitation. That's not how it works. Each cruise is different and sometimes you may receive just one invitation, other times you may receive more than 4 for example, on a 14 night cruise. It's definitely not based on whether or not you decline an invitation and hence they forget about you.

For those who don't wish to receive any invitations to hosted tables, that's us sometimes, you can let SB Square know your preference when you embark .

We were on the same Sojourn cruise as SoBaycruiser and celebrated an anniversary. Despite having been contacted by Guest Serves a few days ahead to confirm the date nothing happened on the day of our anniversary. The next morning after breakfast we discovered that our room stewardess had decorated our room with rose petals and made swans out of towels. This is not a big deal, but I was still a bit disappointed. On past Seabourn cruises when we have had special occasions they have brought cake as well as decorating the suite on the actual day of the event. This just seemed very sloppy to me.

If you want to sit at hosted tables then, by all means, go by Seabourn Square and let them know. Part of the contract for the entertainers, guest speakers and such is that they have to host dinner tables. They really don't care if you saw their show or not. They get paid either way. The host is just there to help keep the conversation going.