Average Passenger Age?

Lightngsvt

The average passenger age question always seems to come up when looking at cruise ships. The answer shouldn't be based on the number of candles on a persons birthday cake. I know many young folks that are really old and not much fun to be with. My father who lived into his 90s when asked what it was like being old liked to respond by saying, "I don't know? I've never been old". He got it right.

There are cruise ships dedicated to youth and endless entertainment and they do very well serving that demographic. Azamara isn't that kind of product but it certainly isn't a rest home with propellers either. Those 1,000 foot long floating resort/amusement parks fill a very specific need but after you've seen a bit of the world from something other than a rock climbing wall, zip line or water slide it doesn't take long for those kinds of adventures to loose much of their appeal. There's no shortage of "older folks" aboard them either. :cool:

I think you'll enjoy this type of cruising so don't be worried that cursing on a smaller ship will be like cruising on a hospital ship.

Dinner dress codes have been beaten to death on Cruise Critic for years but think of this, would you want an invited guest at your daughters wedding to show up in jeans and t-shirt?

Have a little respect for your fellow passengers who made the effort to be presentable at dinner and dress like your cruise is something a lot more special than a visit to a fast food restaurant. A nice pair of [unwrinkled] trousers and a polo or dress shirt (bonus points for a blazer!) should be a gentleman's minimum standard for dinner when seated in the dinning rooms of a quality ship. Having a little self pride and cleaning up for dinner (it's not fair to have your wife stuck with the job of making you look good because she dressed nicely) only takes seconds.

I'd bet that anyone reading this thread might be a little upset if their server presented them their multi course dinner wearing shorts and a Azamara logo t-shirt. Save the "well he's getting paid" line - please.

Magnum60

Many thanks for your post. I noticed SD1 among ships of your experience. I recently booked a Fall TA on Azamara and a Spring TA on Sea Dream. Because I'm new to both and don't know anyone who has experience with both, I'd be grateful for your thoughts. ( With apologies to OP for going well off topic!)

Thanks,

db

This September will be my first cruise with Azamara so I too am dealing with 'blue sky'. I have cruised aboard the Pacific Princess which, like the Azamara ships, is one of the 8 R Class ships and I enjoyed the actual ship even though I'm a small ship fan. R Class ships are considered 'small ships' but I don't call an almost 700 guest 594 foot ship small - unless it's compared to an 1,186 foot Oasis class ship. I had booked a mini suite on deck 8 for my Pacific Princess cruise and had more than enough room. I found the physical layout of the ship pleasant and easy to navigate but something about the Princess experience left me empty. That overview has nothing to do with the actual ship itself as I look forward to my upcoming Azamara trip aboard Journey - on essentially an identical ship.

If you can live without a veranda or a cabin that's smaller than a small house you're going to enjoy the Sea Dream (she was called Sea Goddess when I sailed aboard her). She's elegant without being pretentious or cutesy, snug and intimate without feeling cramped and she will never be mistaken for an amusement park with propellers. I found it surprising that she attracted such a large number of guest under the age of 50. None of the guests [when I sailed aboard her] thought they were special because they could afford a Sea Goddess cruise or felt they needed to show off. There was an almost instantaneous passenger equality that's so missing these days. You'll soon find that it doesn't take long to know all your fellow travelers and crew sailing aboard a 112 passenger ship like Sea Dream.

Almost forgot, you'll also be able to say, "I remember sleeping on the deck of Sea Dream one night counting shooting stars until I fell asleep ........" Bon Voyage!

This September will be my first cruise with Azamara so I too am dealing with 'blue sky'. I have cruised aboard the Pacific Princess which, like the Azamara ships, is one of the 8 R Class ships and I enjoyed the actual ship even though I'm a small ship fan. R Class ships are considered 'small ships' but I don't call an almost 700 guest 594 foot ship small - unless it's compared to an 1,186 foot Oasis class ship. I had booked a mini suite on deck 8 for my Pacific Princess cruise and had more than enough room. I found the physical layout of the ship pleasant and easy to navigate but something about the Princess experience left me empty. That overview has nothing to do with the actual ship itself as I look forward to my upcoming Azamara trip aboard Journey - on essentially an identical ship.

If you can live without a veranda or a cabin that's smaller than a small house you're going to enjoy the Sea Dream (she was called Sea Goddess when I sailed aboard her). She's elegant without being pretentious or cutesy, snug and intimate without feeling cramped and she will never be mistaken for an amusement park with propellers. I found it surprising that she attracted such a large number of guest under the age of 50. None of the guests [when I sailed aboard her] thought they were special because they could afford a Sea Goddess cruise or felt they needed to show off. There was an almost instantaneous passenger equality that's so missing these days. You'll soon find that it doesn't take long to know all your fellow travelers and crew sailing aboard a 112 passenger ship like Sea Dream.

Almost forgot, you'll also be able to say, "I remember sleeping on the deck of Sea Dream one night counting shooting stars until I fell asleep ........" Bon Voyage!

Thanks! I toured SDI last month when on the Reflection and both were in Cartagena. Actually being onboard gave me a sense that I would enjoy it, but 30 minutes is a far cry from 2 weeks so I appreciated reading your comments.

db

• 2 weeks later...

I did the cruise to Cuba this past March on Azamara and loved it! I am 39 years old and didn't feel out of place one bit but I was one of the youngest on board. It was my first cruise and I was thoroughly impressed with the older travelers on board!!

Hello everyone, my wife and I are booking the Nov. 20, 2018 sailing to Cuba. This will be our first cruise on Azamara, our preferred line is Celebrity. What are the demographics of a cruise like this sailing from Miami? I know on Celebrity you have all age groups from kids to seniors, but 40's - 60's seem to be the most common. FWIW we are 44/45 years old, will we be out of place?

For the evening attire, are khaki type pants and a polo acceptable, or would dress slacks and a button-down be more appropriate?

I'm looking forward to trying a new line, and a small(er) luxury ship. I love Celebrity but think this will be a great experience. Oh, and one more question: how is the motion onboard compared to a large ship like the Celebrity Equinox where you fell almost no movement whatsoever?

Well said Magnum60! :)

I agree - very well said!

I will add that the chef's table experiences on the Azamara Journey during our eastern med cruise were the best meals - food, wines, and service - we have experienced at sea.

• 3 weeks later...
That is slightly disappointing to hear actually. I personally found the food in Luminae on par with Blu and in some instances not that much of a step up over the MDR. Sure the presentation was a bit nicer and the service better but the overall quality of the food wasn't leaps and bounds. I don't mean to sound too negative as Im sure we will really enjoy ourselves.

I did book today, cabin 4050 on the Journey for the Nov 20th sailing. We're excited for a new adventure.

We are on the 3/25/19 sailing from Miami to NYC with an overnight in Havana. What kind of cruise is departing on 3/24; is it a one day?

We have done several Azamara cruises. In my opinion, age is a combination of physical age and attitude. There are 50ish people on Azamara but we find that many of the older people on Azamara have a very young attitude.

DON

We are on the 3/25/19 sailing from Miami to NYC with an overnight in Havana. What kind of cruise is departing on 3/24; is it a one day?

You have my very favorite cabin on the R type ship. I have been in 4050 on Oceania 4 times for a total of about 60 days. It is so easy to get to the bathroom from shore excursions! Perfect placement to run back if forgot something. Next cruise we booked later than usual and I am in 4008 so will see if the back hall is as good. Enjoy your cruise.