Info About Red Hook Pier

23golf

We are flying into NYC early 1 November to sail on the Regal for 10 days departing from Red Hook. Can anyone tell us how early the ship accepts luggage for our cruise? And, how far would we have to go from the pier to buy wine?

Be very careful terrible neighborhood.

At the end of Sept. (on a Saturday), our ship scheduled to arrive at 5 a.m. at the Red Hook pier and we plan to disembark as soon as allowed. From the pier, we need to get to Canal St. (N.Y. Chinatown) by 7:30 a.m. to meet up with a tour group for our 8-day land tour. There will be four of us with four 28" luggage.

Anyone knows how far and how long it will take us to get to Canal St. by car? Is taxi easily available at that early hour? Will a taxi be able to take 4 adults and 4 big luggage? About how much will it cost?

Taxi's should be available, but there may or may not be a line of people waiting for them.

My suggestion would be to book a limo service such as Dial7 or Carmel. You can call them when you are about to exit the ship and they should be there very soon. Their web sites can tell you the cost. You will also have to pay the bridge/tunnel toll (also true with a taxi).

Not knowing what time disembarkation normally starts makes it difficult to know if you can make it to your meeting point by 7:30. Be sure to have contact numbers for that tour group in case you have trouble getting there in time.

Haha - great reply. People just don't realize that New York is the safest large metroplis in the U.S. - the crime rate per resident is lower than the national average.

Brooklyn is just another great part of NYC.

So you would walk around the pier area at night by yourself? Good Luck

For some readon you serm to be trying to say that area is safe. Not anywhere near that. Safest large metropolis doesnot mean it is safe. That area is dangerous and people get hurt even in the daylight.

So you would walk around the pier area at night by yourself? Good Luck

For some readon you serm to be trying to say that area is safe. Not anywhere near that. Safest large metropolis doesnot mean it is safe. That area is dangerous and people get hurt even in the daylight.

Hmm - you seem to infer a lot from my posting of a fact.

Now why would anyone - tourist, visitor or resident walk around the cruise terminal at night? But if I somehow found myself there at night alone then I would have to walk around. And probably the only life that I would see would be law enforcement patrols.

The Redhook area is being gentrified and the waterfront area is being built up. (Try the lobster roll at the Lobster Pound or get a nice sandwich at Defonte's - featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.)

People get hurt in many places in daylight - like the person who posted about their incident around the Miami port.

Redhook is not the safest community but nor is it the most dangerous either.

Thank you all for the information.

I called Princess and I was told the early independent walk-off should start by 6 a.m. if the ship does arrive at 5 a.m. From past experiences with Princess, that sounds about right.

I think I will just try to get a taxi or Uber or Lyft. I do have the tour guide's phone number.

Thank you all for the information.

I called Princess and I was told the early independent walk-off should start by 6 a.m. if the ship does arrive at 5 a.m. From past experiences with Princess, that sounds about right.

I think I will just try to get a taxi or Uber or Lyft. I do have the tour guide's phone number.

Taxis do not cruise this area. Get a car service.