should I switch from Princess to AZ for Alaska 2019?

susiesan

While entry licenses are important, I've missed Glacier Bay twice due to wind making our visit impossible so you get to roll the dice again when choosing your cruise line. I was very disappointment on our Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princes (an R class ship) and don't have much nice to say about Holland America either. Back to square one. Take a closer look at Azamara and Seaborn.

While entry licenses are important, I've missed Glacier Bay twice due to wind making our visit impossible so you get to roll the dice again when choosing your cruise line. I was very disappointment on our Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princes (an R class ship) and don't have much nice to say about Holland America either. Back to square one. Take a closer look at Azamara and Seaborn.

I was on a big Princess ship. friends love HAL for AK. I never met or read about anyone missing Glacier bay. you are the first. Now if it was the Falklands..

Hey Robin,

I'm going to guess that you're saying that it gets a little 'bumpy' and 'breezy' down in the Falklands - even if no one is shooting at you. Could be why the ocean liners Canberra or QE2 (both which served in the Falklands and are now retired) didn't return.

Hey Robin,

I'm going to guess that you're saying that it gets a little 'bumpy' and 'breezy' down in the Falklands - even if no one is shooting at you. Could be why the ocean liners Canberra or QE2 (both which served in the Falklands and are now retired) didn't return.

I am pretty sure that QE2 did return several times during its world cruises.

It was due to call during its final world cruise but passed them by due to rough seas preventing the tendering operations.

That's not uncommon in the Falklands.

I was told this by the islanders when we called on Azamara Journey shortly afterwards.

I think I am now convinced to stick with my Coral Princess cruise. I do have an excellent cabin reserved, E736, the very last balcony. It is completely covered and appears to have a view both to the side and aft. I am also steps away from an aft viewing deck on the stern. Princess calls this a premium balcony. This cabin comes highly recommended by people who frequent Princess in Alaska.

Hopefully over the next year and a half Princess will have some specials or offers, show in some OBC or other benefits to help bring the cost down. I will return to AZ someday with another itinerary.

Princess had a sale recently so I was able to get $500 OBC added to my reservation. Now Princess is definitely a better value for me.

That is a great cabin, and you can get to the Promenade Deck very easily from there. Also notice the door at the end of the corridor outside your cabin: that's one of the 'secret' balconies, which will give you a terrific view aft and to starboard.

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 3.00.56 PM.png.pdf

That is a great cabin, and you can get to the Promenade Deck very easily from there. Also notice the door at the end of the corridor outside your cabin: that's one of the 'secret' balconies, which will give you a terrific view aft and to starboard.

If you are referring to me, susiesan, I have cabin E736 reserved. I know about the "secret balcony". And our balcony is completely covered. I chose this particular cabin on Coral Princess specifically after reading reviews of it. Friends of us are joining on the cruise in an inside across the hall from us with an invite to our balcony.

Short answer...Yes! Travel the Grand Princess if you want a bargain down-market cruise, low prices huge crowds, standing room only in theaters, long waits for the elevators, no quiet place for a drink, cheap buffet like a high school cafeteria, huge crowds, but very low prices.

Short answer...Yes! Travel the Grand Princess if you want a bargain down-market cruise, low prices huge crowds, standing room only in theaters, long waits for the elevators, no quiet place for a drink, cheap buffet like a high school cafeteria, huge crowds, but very low prices.

Strange, the Grand Princess hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Would you care to share your personal experience on the Coral Princess?

Strange, the Grand Princess hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Would you care to share your personal experience on the Coral Princess?

I haven't sailed the Coral Princess. But I would expect similar crowded conditions, poor quality buffet, etc. Princess' big attraction is their affordability, but it is hard to support quality at such low prices. And they do jam people into their ships at the expense of public spaces.