Review NCL Escape 6/10-17, 2018, NYC/Bermuda

DaisyL

We seek out live entertainment on our cruises and Escape did not disappoint. Especially loved District Beau, Piano Bar Entertainer, Guest Band Kartune, Howl at the Moon, and the bands, duos and single players at all the lounges, pool, and Atrium. Also liked catching shows and games in the Atrium.

83b3d6b350ba621cba390636117c4690.jpg

Beau in the District Brewhouse. Our favorite after dinner every.single.night!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I really want to address the pool deck...didn’t like it on Breakaway and it was no better on Escape. We always got lounge chairs in the shade, which we prefer, but the deck is WAY too small. Chairs are butt-to-butt and the pools way too small. I think you all have seen the pix!

Spice H2O was not any better...totally packed so much you couldn’t even walk around and no shade! We did find 2 chairs but certainly not the vacation feel we expect, rather go to Jones Beach.

This really is a dealbreaker for us...we love being outside with other people and enjoy the music and antics at the pools, even though we have a balcony cabin. This class of ship is way too small in relationship to the number of passengers. Also we had a few bad weather days and inside activities and seating is lacking, and Anthem puts BA class to shame when forced inside.

I have to say Royal ships Anthem, Explorer and Liberty (NJ) were much better in this area. We have been on 12 NCL cruises and 7 Royal cruises and will only cruises BA class if the price is right and itinerary is unique, otherwise the Jewel class is our favorite with acceptable pool deck area, Spinakker lounge and the Great Outdoors...our favorite class.

I must say, services have improved incredibly since our last cruise on BA so we’re really happy about that and would compare all cruises equally. We usually cruise twice a year with one cruise planned far in advance and the other closer to the sail date. We live in the NY area so it’s very convenient to book a last minute cruise out of NYC, Bayonne, and Baltimore. Also want to add the NY, NJ , and CT schools were still in session so the ship, although sold out, was not at capacity. And have been on Royal and NCL during full capacity cruises.

Just our opinion. My rant is over...sorry to everyone but we’ve cruised over 25 times and always loved NCL but overall disappointed that they are not our first choice anymore.

We had balcony cabin 11300, port side, maybe 10 cabins aft from the rear elevators. We were familiar with the balcony cabins and basic layout on Escape having cruised previously on Breakaway 3 years ago. The cabin is small, odd clothing storage, balcony is small but shower and bathroom good. Hand soap dispenser mounted at the sink, shower gel and shampoo/conditioner combo dispensers mounted in shower, and bar of soap and small lotion bottle provided. The shower was curved glass and roomy enough (we’re large) with good water pressure and certainly hot enough, and plenty of counter and shelf space for toiletries (I’ve never brought an over the door thingy).

A hair dryer is provided under the desk but I bring my own, the mini bar was locked but left a note for the room steward to unlock and empty it. The safe was locked by the previous occupant but someone came immediately after calling...excellent. No drawers but half the closet are shelves, the other half hangers and long shelf above and shelves under the desk which were quite awkward to use. BUT the bed was almost against the closet so it was really difficult getting clothes and getting in/out of the bed. Uggghhh. Thought the bed was comfy and good air temperature control from hot to very cold. I like to take a travel clock that illuminates to keep on my nightstand but I know others use their phones, watches or the cabin phone for time.

You must use a card by the door for lights, AC colder than medium and room occupied display. There’s also a switch which activates do not disturb and make up cabin displays. The room was made up twice daily with towel replacement if dirty ones are left on the floor, fresh ice in the bucket, next days newsletter and towel animals.

We never ordered room service but champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were delivered for Platinum and twice during the week we had chocolate snacks delivered from the hotel director but not sure why. Very good and appreciated! Thank you NCL!

I didn’t take photos but plenty are available on CC and online.

33e7cafe3c44cf5309448ce5aa4e501f.jpg

Never, ever saw this cutie before. We never met our room steward but left an extra tip at the end because of the excellent, albeit mysterious, service.

Is the hair dryer full size with a concentrator on the end or a little, not so powerful one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the hair dryer full size with a concentrator on the end or a little, not so powerful one?

Although I didn’t use the hairdryer it’s a full size, with concentrator and metal casing. I need a diffuser so bring my own.

Maybe someone else can comment on its effectiveness.

CAS boarded just after Haven and Priority.

Thanks for answering. We arrived at 10:30 am and immediately worked our way to the back of the (full) terminal to priority (Platinum level for us) checkin, where we were the only ones online.

All priority levels had been called to board already. We received #4 and allowed to board right after check-in, walking on the ship a few minutes after 11 am.

Easiest ever for us, especially in NYC, BUT keep in mind it may not be this easy or quick here. Many factors can affect time and speed of boarding.

Dalwin served us many times in the atrium, and I think your right....man never sleeps. He told us they are required 10 hour days 7 days a aweek, but he usually does 13 hours.....I believe it

Right!! Best crew ever on an NCL ship! Hope they don’t get hardened in NY....lol.

A few tidbits about Newsletters, Upbids, and OBC.

I have all the Newsletters but others have posted them from previous Bermuda cruises. So if you have any questions; just ask or I’ll post them if there’s an overwhelming request.

I received an email to Upbid about 80 days before the cruise. We happened to be cruising at the time with another couple who would be cruising with us on this cruise also. We both decided not to bid because there was no guarantee that we would both get the upgrade (balcony to Haven). A few weeks later they cancelled due to an emergency so we submitted a bid. I bid just above minimum, still in the poor range, for the 3 lowest Haven categories. Received emails for each, 48 hrs. before the cruise, that our bid was not accepted. Not surprised but would like to cruise in a Haven once.

We received $200 total On Board Credit when we booked (balcony cabin 11300) August 2017. BTW, I kept checking rates but did not see any reductions in price until after final payment date. Daily gratuity could not be used towards OBC so we prepaid that as well. Only charges accrued on the cruise were the taxes on drinks ordered prior to the ship leaving NY. We then spent our OBC on items in the gift shops and had ‘zero’ balance at the end. We also had $6 pp credit applied to the account as well, which we later found out because of a port charge reduction for every passenger.

There you go....lol.

Last folks off ship 10:18 first on 10:58.

Quickest turnaround we've seen.

We saw folks on the parking deck leaving, when we arrived. A porter bringing a load of luggage down was asked to get help too. He responded that they do not normally do this but happened to be on the deck. Apparently, porters will bring luggage up to the parking deck but not down, unless you get ‘lucky’, you must bring it down yourselves.

Which sea glass beach did you go to? Is there only one? We are going on the Escape to Bermuda in September. I would like to go to see the sea glass beach.

Thanks,

Jean

No problem Jean. We’ve been there twice walking about 20 min from the dockyards.

I quickly found a very descriptive website with directions featuring Bermuda Attractions and Sea Glass Beach. Not sure I’m allowed to post the link, but be aware you’re not allowed to take any sea glass.

Sea Glass and Black Bay Beach

564c6c9c74c443757d5e2327b4eafc54.jpg

Edited by DaisyL

124f55e79c6ab72ce085be5460afcf1a.jpg

Signs at Bermuda’s Sea Glass Beaches. Although you’re not allowed to take any, they’re certainly worth a visit to take pix and relax. Don’t forget your sandals or water shoes if you want to wade.

I realize the subject of dining is very individual but we found the meals and service were excellent. I’ll start with the buffet:

We ate breakfast every morning in the buffet usually around 8:30 to 9 am. It was quite crowded but always took the rear elevators and proceeded towards the back never having a problem finding a table at this time and during lunch also.

They served all the morning regular offerings including eggs Benedict at the front counter, several made to order omelet and egg stations. French toast, pancakes and waffles were cooked in small batches behind the counter therefore quite fresh. Smoked salmon was missing but had Salmon mousse instead.

Enjoyed it there for lunch too although the offerings were similar everyday, both hot and cold dishes and salad. I particularly liked the fresh breads and tuna, egg and chicken salads, unlike our last 2 cruises with Royal (salads were odd) fresh made chicken tenders and excellent French fries. Also thought the desserts were much better too and offered in individual dishes (unlike Royal’s self serve turning into messes) and hard ice cream served and sugar free and sherbet too and soft serve chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

We went to dinner there one night which happened to be ‘Seafood night’. We didn’t plan it this way but be forewarned it was very crowded. Overall we both agreed we didn’t care for the choices. I had Cold mussels and shrimp (good), fresh fish sticks (good), Mac and cheese with shrimp (tasteless and runny), Paella (sticky mess with very little seafood and hard chicken pieces ), polenta with mushroom topping (good). There were other offerings but they didn’t look appetizing to me, and I’m not picky at all, or the counters were too crowded to reach or see what was available. The hidden gem, which I almost missed, was a made to order crepe station with all types of fillings and toppings. It was towards the back on one side only and certainly worth the whole visit to dinner here....lol. Not a total loss and I certainly didn’t go away hungry but wouldn’t go for dinner again.

One added comment, although the buffet had ‘hours’ in the newsletter it seemed to be open all day with meals or snacks. Hubby would stop by in the afternoon for a handful of cookies on our way down to the cabin...he was very happy.

54027b20699630f47b88d965a1a26390.jpg

La Cucina

We had the Tomatoes and Mozzarella, Grilled Eggplant & Stuffing, Salad, Osso Buco, and Veal Medallions. We enjoyed it all and the waitress warned my husband that the Osso Buco is fatty, when he ordered it. We skipped the pasta course knowing it would be too much but I ordered the Spaghetti with Garlic as a side.