bringing wine and corkscrew.. ???

stellarose

We usually take one that is part of a swiss army knife but put it in checked luggage or say goodbye to it

I just brought mine in a checked bag with no problem. Blades less than 4 inches are permitted as long as it is not dangerous looking.

Going home a few cruises ago i got stopped at tsa airport check point ...they asked if i had anything i should not have in my carryon....well my wife during packing tossed the corkscrew in my bag...i ended up losing the 2.95 corkscrew:cool:

Corkscrews (with no blade)

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/corkscrews-no-bladeCorkscrews (with no blade) Carry On Bags: YesChecked Bags: YesFor more

Corkscrews (with blade)

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/corkscrews-bladeCorkscrews (with blade) Carry On Bags: NoChecked Bags: YesAny sharp

We carry a corkscrew with a foil cutter, no blade and never a problem

I just brought mine in a checked bag with no problem. Blades less than 4 inches are permitted as long as it is not dangerous looking.

The key is checking it but different countries do have some different rules.

For example last cruise our 4 oz cough medicine went thru TSA in carryon no problem. Had to than go thru the British version of TSA and they took it as it was slightly bigger than what they allowed.

Something to note - we always take two bottles of wine onto the ship at embarkation along with a cork screw - we are aware of the fee if the wait staff opens a bottle and so always open our own bottles - most recently we took one of our bottles to the Italian venue and had not opened it but had the cork screw with us - well if the bottle is not opened you cannot open it in the dining venue yourself - so one of us had to walk down to Lido and open the bottle and then bring it back to where we were seated to enjoy it - lesson learned - make sure it is opened ahead of time.

Something to note - we always take two bottles of wine onto the ship at embarkation along with a cork screw - we are aware of the fee if the wait staff opens a bottle and so always open our own bottles - most recently we took one of our bottles to the Italian venue and had not opened it but had the cork screw with us - well if the bottle is not opened you cannot open it in the dining venue yourself - so one of us had to walk down to Lido and open the bottle and then bring it back to where we were seated to enjoy it - lesson learned - make sure it is opened ahead of time.

The cork fee has nothing to do with them opening a bottle. It is a fee charged for you bringing the bottle into the venue,

We just take screwtop wines. Solves the problem completely. You can get perfectly good wines with screwtops these days. Used to be only cheaper wines but not anymore.

I've toured a few wineries and they all say that modern screw tops do a better job at sealing the wine than the modern plastic corks! Not sure about real cork, but I don't see that on any wine I can afford except for champagne these days. They keep the corks though because of the romance of opening a bottle of wine with a corkscrew.

We took one through in our carry-on no problem last week (Miami). Actually, we took two corkscrews, one in a checked bag, one in carry-on. We always put one in a nail grooming kit (just for convenience of carrying) that goes in a checked bag. We also have a wine carrier that holds two bottles and came with its own corkscrew strapped inside the lid. That went through carry-on security without a word. And they were being finicky about items because they questioned us about some cans of Dr. Pepper, asking us if they were really beer. :rolleyes:

We take one of those 99 cent travel corkscrews. It goes in checked luggage for airline, but we carry our luggage onto the ship. I found the little corkscrew difficult to use, so I may take a bigger one with the levers next time. Mine doesn't have a blade (wish it did).

We just take screwtop wines. Solves the problem completely. You can get perfectly good wines with screwtops these days. Used to be only cheaper wines but not anymore.

I bought a really cheap bottle of wine, under $6, thinking it had to be a screw top. Nope. I always take my corkscrew now.

I bought a really cheap bottle of wine, under $6, thinking it had to be a screw top. Nope. I always take my corkscrew now.

More and more wines are coming as screwtops.

Found a really good cheap wine for under $ 3 at Aldi and it comes with a cork. Go figure