Walking/exercise on the Pride?

Touringmom

Sailing on the Pride this summer. Looking at deck plans, it seems the only loop you can walk is the jogging track which seems quite small and also used to access other areas. This is only our third cruise ever and first on Carnival but the other ships we were on had a complete loop around the whole ship on 3rd deck or so. Pride does not seem to have this - it’s interrupted. Advice from walkers/runners? Prefer not to use treadmill - love to be outdoors. Also, does the gym have space for toning exercises/small weights? TIA!

You can use the sun deck to get some walking in, just may have to dodge a lounger or two along the way. Way need 1/4 as many laps on the sun deck opposed to the walking track, especially if you stride stem to stern.

Any Carnival ship I've cruised has free weights from 2 lbs up to Arnold sized, as well as various resistance machines for muscle tone.

The jogging track is a complete loop around. There will be not only a directional sign posted, but also how many laps equal a mile. There is a lovely view up that high and you will see plenty of people walking as well as jogging on the track, especially in prime hours 10-4 pm. If you want to be in the shade, you can walk a U (without having to go indoors) on the outer deck 3.

DH and I use both regularly to get in some steps.

Sailing on the Pride this summer. Looking at deck plans, it seems the only loop you can walk is the jogging track which seems quite small and also used to access other areas. This is only our third cruise ever and first on Carnival but the other ships we were on had a complete loop around the whole ship on 3rd deck or so. Pride does not seem to have this - it’s interrupted. Advice from walkers/runners? Prefer not to use treadmill - love to be outdoors. Also, does the gym have space for toning exercises/small weights? TIA!

Hmmmm...You can "loop around the whole ship" on Deck10. Narrows down at a couple of spots around the middle of the ship with folks laying out, but easy to get around. Jogging loop is small, but pretty good view point from up there...only other areas of access up there are for mini golf and the basketball court, which are inside the jogging track/loop. Have done many a step around both deck10 and the jogging track.

Are you walking or running? If running, the jogging track is probably the safer choice on the ship. If walking, we found the Sun Deck to be good - especially if up early. Deck 3 is also an option for walking, either do a u-turn outside or go through the Sunset Garden if you want the full loop.

We found the gym to be well stocked with lighter to mid-weight dumbbells and a variety of machines. Floor space was a bit of a premium, but there were some small nooks between levels (it will make sense when you go in) that might work for abs/stretching/toning work.

Does anyone know a good time for the gym to avoid crowds? We like to run or walk in the cool of the morning, and usually do strength training on non-cardio days also in the morning. Do others find afternoon to be better or are all times about the same?

Thanks!

Go to the very forward stairs. Take the elevator down to deck zero. Now climb the stairs all the way to the top deck. Take the elevator down to deck zero. Repeat 4 times. This is a great way to pack a lot of exercise into a short period of time. Anytime before 7am and the stairs will empty.

Go to the very forward stairs. Take the elevator down to deck zero. Now climb the stairs all the way to the top deck. Take the elevator down to deck zero. Repeat 4 times. This is a great way to pack a lot of exercise into a short period of time. Anytime before 7am and the stairs will empty.

Good idea! We never use the elevators on cruises just so we can justify dessert a few times! (We made it a family rule!) But I never really thought to do a stair workout in the morning!

Great way to get a workout

if you are going to jog, please do it on the track or a tread mill, not on the decks. Unless you want to be dodging, kids, guests, servers, and everyone else getting up and down.

That's why I specified running vs. walking. Early morning it's pretty easy to maneuver around people on the Sun Deck or Atlantic Deck (weird that the Promenade isn't on Promenade Deck:confused:)at a walk, but I wouldn't advise it for running. I've heard before about using cabin decks, but that seems weird to me and I wouldn't want to disturb others - either sounding like a herd of elephants to the deck below;) or dodging carts and passengers heading out for an early breakfast.

Or in my case, probably a heart attack. 10 flights of stairs for this old guy is a bit much, let alone 4 times, yikes. I can handle 4 or 5 decks okay, but after 5, I need a rest.

LOL...I always assume on those exercise threads, that people suggesting stairs are on cruises less than 10 days, with the younger than me crowd..LOL. I’m with you, I can do about 4-5 flights and the knees start screaming. It seems going down affects one of knees even worse. I really try to use the stairs as much as I can though.

I will say that Paccruise804 mentioned they thought it was weird walking inside decks. I’m up early (5-6am) and I do this. It’s just me and I’m pretty light on my feet. Nobody in my way. I go forward to aft and then go up a deck. It’s nice to check out the door art. It’s like my peaceful quiet time before the action begins. Sometimes it’s just to windy outside.

LOL...I always assume on those exercise threads, that people suggesting stairs are on cruises less than 10 days, with the younger than me crowd..LOL. I’m with you, I can do about 4-5 flights and the knees start screaming. It seems going down affects one of knees even worse. I really try to use the stairs as much as I can though.

I will say that Paccruise804 mentioned they thought it was weird walking inside decks. I’m up early (5-6am) and I do this. It’s just me and I’m pretty light on my feet. Nobody in my way. I go forward to aft and then go up a deck. It’s nice to check out the door art. It’s like my peaceful quiet time before the action begins. Sometimes it’s just to windy outside.

We always take the stairs, but crusies have been less than 10 days;) I'm a fairly active 45 so not "young" but probably couldn't have done the stairs when I was 30-35 and more sedentary. Downstairs is definitely harder on the knees (downhill running/walking is too).

Quietly walking inside decks is fine, my concern was more about running (which at least for me isn't light on my feet).

I’m an avid walker, and a senior citizen. As a retired RN that spent years on her feet, I found it hard to slow down, even after bilateral total knee replacements. I now walk a very brisk 4 miles daily, take only stairs, ride a bike, and swim. When on a cruise, I like a good clear path for my walking and prefer a designated track, but finding them hard to find, as they are mixed in with loungers, etc. I hate dodging chairs and people just standing and grabbing on the track!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. That is why I take the elevator down. Plus it helps me catch my breath. I am 55 and anymore I love that feeling that your heart is about to explode out of your chest. Makes me feel alive. Always glad and feel better when I am done.