MSC vs NCL

patsfantb12goat

Am I correct that for assigned dining - it’s a window of time and you can ask for a certain time inside that window once onboard? Also, I’m still trying to understand how the Experience concept works - it looks like you can add this on to your cabin, or possibly that the cabin category you select determines which level of Experience you receive (?)

The concept of MSC is that you select the following:

1.) Cabin type/category (Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, Suite, Family Suite, Suite with Whirlpool, Grand Suite, etc)

2.) Experience (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Wellness)

3.) The booking system shows the available cabins according to the combination of cabin category & Experience.

You can not add a different Experience to a specific cabin. Each cabin has already a assigned Experience

as per color coding on the deck plan. Example: You can not book a Grand Suite with Bella Experience

since the Grand Suite comes with Aurea Experience or Wellness.

I’m other words, why would you pick the seaview?

It is a new kind of ship I never have been before. Definitely want to try it out. If it would be an older MSC ship and a new NCL ship (so happy to see that the US ships are now not so ugly anymore thanks to NCL and Celebrity) and the price is equal I probably would go for NCL because of the free drinks, internet and no Service Charge (at least for European bookings). But since the launch of Seaside/Seaview this is priority no. 1.

For Dining in MDR, are you assigned a time and a table? Is it a shared table or can you request your own table of two? Thanks!

It is usually a shared table with other pax that speak your language. You can ask for a table for two, chances are not so bad as most prefer to dine together with others.

Also, I’m still trying to understand how the Experience concept works - it looks like you can add this on to your cabin, or possibly that the cabin category you select determines which level of Experience you receive (?)

You choose the Experience in the first step of the booking and then you can choose from the cabins in that category. Note that on some ships already a balcony Fantastica cabin gives you access to the MyChoice Restaurant. Armonia for example.

Am I correct that for assigned dining - it’s a window of time and you can ask for a certain time inside that window once onboard?

No, it is not a window, it is a starting time. If you have the 18:30 dining, you should arrive latest at 18:45. The smaller ships have two sessions, the larger three. Don´t panic that you will have to dine at the latest shift at 21:30 or so. There are enough Spanish, Italians, Mexicans and Brazilians that will opt for this :)

Edited by perakcruiser

You choose the Experience in the first step of the booking and then you can choose from the cabins in that category. Note that on some ships already a balcony Fantastica cabin gives you access to the MyChoice Restaurant. Armonia for example.

On the MSC USA website you choose the cabin type (category) first and then you choose the Experience.

I don't know if this works the same on MSC websites in all countries but I would assume.

On the MSC USA website you choose the cabin type (category) first and then you choose the Experience.

I don't know if this works the same on MSC websites in all countries but I would assume.

Yes, should be the same. But it is the same step anyway, above is cabin category and down is matching experience.

I appreciative all the help. Have to say that between a clunky website and a few phone calls with mixed info given I’m finding the booking process with MSC off-putting so far. Put a deposit down on a Fantasica cabin that costs more than original Bella cabin, but the fine print says the Fantasica perks expire before our selected voyage....also signed us up for Voyagers program to pursue Elite status match with Princess, but can’t log into that area and nobody at MSC can figure out why. I’m excited about trying something new but not sure I can tolerate the process of getting there! Maybe I’m just getting old?? [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You missed the most important experience, Yacht Club!

You are right but my answers were in respond to questions regarding MDR

and differences in MSC Experiences.

Yacht Club is easy... you book YC and you get it ALL :)

That's what I like most ;)

Hello - I realize I’m resurrecting a pretty old thread but - we are seasoned Princess cruisers looking to try either the NCL Epic or the MSC Seaview in the Med fall of 2019 - price is close enough to not really factor in....curious about current opinions and comparisons between these two lines and/or Princess. Thanks!!

In comparing just the ships, I would pick Seaside. The NCL Epic is older (2010) and the Seaside has the bonus of being brand new. One major complaint people have about the Epic is the bathroom configuration in the cabins, especially if you are travelling with someone who is not your significant other. The Epic cabins have an open-bathroom floorplan; when you walk into the cabin, the toilet area is to the left and the shower is on the right (or vice versa)- both only have a frosted sliding door separating them from the cabin, meaning anyone in the cabin can somewhat see, hear, and smell what is happening :o. I think there may be a curtain that you can pull to close off the "bathroom" area. Also, the sink is actually in the cabin area, so you are limited on the usual bathroom shelving/storage space.

In comparing just the ships, I would pick Seaside. The NCL Epic is older (2010) and the Seaside has the bonus of being brand new. One major complaint people have about the Epic is the bathroom configuration in the cabins, especially if you are travelling with someone who is not your significant other. The Epic cabins have an open-bathroom floorplan; when you walk into the cabin, the toilet area is to the left and the shower is on the right (or vice versa)- both only have a frosted sliding door separating them from the cabin, meaning anyone in the cabin can somewhat see, hear, and smell what is happening :o. I think there may be a curtain that you can pull to close off the "bathroom" area. Also, the sink is actually in the cabin area, so you are limited on the usual bathroom shelving/storage space.

Well that certainly sounds.....not ideal:). I’ve settled on the Seaview - Yacht Club so not an issue - I’m surprised how far out those suites fill up as we are booked for October 2019 - now, I just need to convince my husband it’s worth it! [emoji3]

I orchestrate a "Friends and Family Annual Winter Caribbean cruise. 2019 will be the 30th anniversary of such and we're going on the MSC Divina. A few years ago we went on NCL, there were 28 of us. After the cruise, 24 said, "If you go on NCL again, don't ask us". This past January, we went on the MSC Divina. There were 26 of us. To date, 22 are signed up to go again on the MSC Divina this coming January of which 20 were on the past January cruise. Draw your own conclusion.

I’ve settled on the Seaview - Yacht Club so not an issue - I’m surprised how far out those suites fill up as we are booked for October 2019 - now, I just need to convince my husband it’s worth it! [emoji3]

High demand and low number of YC cabins are contributing to fully booked cruises in YC.

Just 86 cabins are YC out of 2,067 cabins total (don’t ask me why I just counted the YC cabins on deck 16 & 18 ... but I did :o)

Well that certainly sounds.....not ideal:). I’ve settled on the Seaview - Yacht Club so not an issue - I’m surprised how far out those suites fill up as we are booked for October 2019 - now, I just need to convince my husband it’s worth it! [emoji3]

Yes, Yacht Club is definitely the way to go and they do fill up quickly!! Both of my current Yacht Club cruises we booked more than a year in advance.

Uh, this I don´t know. Thought they stopped the Service Charge worldwide meanwhile.

NCL has just raised DSC again. It has been increased 3 times in 2 years. Also, gratuity on everything additional (drink, dinner , spa packages ets) is now 20% and not discretionary. We sailed in a suite and DSC was $17.50 pp per day.

We are booked on MSC , first time, in YC. This will probable be our new cruise line.

High demand and low number of YC cabins are contributing to fully booked cruises in YC.

Just 86 cabins are YC out of 2,067 cabins total (don’t ask me why I just counted the YC cabins on deck 16 & 18 ... but I did :o)

Wow, that is a low ratio - and frankly I didn’t even know there are cabins on deck 18, though I did note the absence of a deck 17. And, when I’m in cruise mode, I can pass hours, possibly days, researching and reading so I totally hear you on counting!

Yes, Yacht Club is definitely the way to go and they do fill up quickly!! Both of my current Yacht Club cruises we booked more than a year in advance.

Well I hope they sustain the service levels long term to merit that kind of demand. And I’m also going to wager I don’t need to waste my time looking for price drops!

NCL has just raised DSC again. It has been increased 3 times in 2 years. Also, gratuity on everything additional (drink, dinner , spa packages ets) is now 20% and not discretionary. We sailed in a suite and DSC was $17.50 pp per day.

We are booked on MSC , first time, in YC. This will probable be our new cruise line.

Hi phissy - our first time too - both to MSC and YC - we are Elite with Princess and will continue to sail with them, but wanted to try something new. Always a bit daunting after you’ve become so used to a particular line, but we’re excited!

I orchestrate a "Friends and Family Annual Winter Caribbean cruise. 2019 will be the 30th anniversary of such and we're going on the MSC Divina. A few years ago we went on NCL, there were 28 of us. After the cruise, 24 said, "If you go on NCL again, don't ask us". This past January, we went on the MSC Divina. There were 26 of us. To date, 22 are signed up to go again on the MSC Divina this coming January of which 20 were on the past January cruise. Draw your own conclusion.

My conclusion is that people are different and like different things. We have loved all our NCL cruises but with the prices they have for the suites now we prefer the Yacht Club. Much better value for money!

I am due to go on NCL Bliss for 5 days later this year.

I have loved the 3 MSC cruises we have done and am already looking forward to the next one in October 2019, I hope I can get another one in before then...

However I am not looking forward to the NCL one with the same excitement as MSC!

I do not get why you have to book shows months in advance for starters!

I am worried the food isn’t going to be all that good in the MDR as so many people seem to be doing the upgrade restaurants.

Next is controversial but there seems to be a big tipping mentality on NCL... we have all our service charges included as have booked from the U.K. I do not want to have to be tipping constantly to get served, we do tip extra on the last day though.

And we have been spoilt on MSC with a 15% service charge for any extras and NCL is 20%.

There are a couple of threads about NCL not giving plastic straws anymore and It’s unbelievable how people on the NCL forum are not getting why plastic straws are no longer provided.

We have booked this trip as we are travelling with friends and this is part of a 2 week west coast trip and it adds nicely to our itinerary as we have an 11 year old with us which leads me to another worry/ doubt from reading the threads we need to be on board early if we want to book the race track or laser tag! Which would mean losing part of our day in Vancouver.

It sure is going to be an interesting trip that’s for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Next is controversial but there seems to be a big tipping mentality on NCL... we have all our service charges included as have booked from the U.K. I do not want to have to be tipping constantly to get served, we do tip extra on the last day though.

Don't worry about this. You don't have to tip extra to get served.

I think this is only a topic on Carribean cruises with 95% US pax. As the NCL website and all their advertising is making so much noise about NO TIPS NO SERVICE CHARGE I am quite sure that the European pax will follow this "rule" ;p

Hello - I realize I’m resurrecting a pretty old thread but - we are seasoned Princess cruisers looking to try either the NCL Epic or the MSC Seaview in the Med fall of 2019 - price is close enough to not really factor in....curious about current opinions and comparisons between these two lines and/or Princess. Thanks!!

I would put MSC as closer to Princess then NCL. I have found food quality on NCL to be poor in the MDR. Most use the multitude of specialty dining venues on NCL. NCL is more geared towards families with more activities for children/teens (water slides, etc.).

Is this still the case with Norwegian.???

It used to be so. However, I have been reading reviews where the dining room food has improved on Norwegian.

It was the case when we were cruising them. We would go to the specialties because the dining room was terrible. I don't know if this is still true. Have you sailed them recently?

I would put MSC as closer to Princess then NCL. I have found food quality on NCL to be poor in the MDR. Most use the multitude of specialty dining venues on NCL. NCL is more geared towards families with more activities for children/teens (water slides, etc.).

Thank you for the comparison - it helps! We’ve booked the MSC Seaview - since it doesn’t make its debut until next June I’ll be reading all things Seaside which I believe is a twin build. It does look to have its own share of kid-friendly stuff, but we are trying the Yacht Club in the fall so not too worried we will be over run:). We do like the atmosphere of Princess, but we want to branch out and try something new.

We’ve booked the MSC Seaview - since it doesn’t make its debut until next June I’ll be reading all things Seaside which I believe is a twin build.

The christening of MSC Seaview was on June 9th 2018 , just 2 weeks ago,

and the ship is on its 2nd Western Med Cruise.

You are right, the MSC Seaview is the sister ship of MSC Seaside.

They are almost identical besides minor differences (color scheme

of the cabins, etc).