Labadee wave runners

Question, last time I took the wave runner excursion in Labadee we stopped at one point and what I would only describe as the Labadee Navy rushed out to us in paddle boats to try and sell us stuff! I found this tacky and not acceptable that RCI would have this as part of the excursion. Is this still happening? This was like 4 years ago.

Thanks!

Same thing happened to us a couple of years ago doing kayaks.
I won't do any excursion on Labadee because of this. 50 minute tour, and almost 10 minutes of that stopped to be hassled to buy trinkets. Was not happy.

I didn't do it my last time there, but I did have this when we did the Waverunner on a previous visit. It wasn't that bad, I did rent a locker and left my wallet there, so I couldn't have bought if I wanted to. It wasn't that bad, you have to wait anyway for all the riders to regroup.

I didn't do it my last time there, but I did have this when we did the Waverunner on a previous visit. It wasn't that bad, I did rent a locker and left my wallet there, so I couldn't have bought if I wanted to. It wasn't that bad, you have to wait anyway for all the riders to regroup.
You don't even need cash, they will give you whatever trinket they have and write you a receipt for say $5.00 and to pay Robert on the wave runner dock. This is the only place I've done a wave runner excursion in the Caribbean that vendors paddled out to you and tried to sell stuff.

You don't even need cash, they will give you whatever trinket they have and write you a receipt for say $5.00 and to pay Robert on the wave runner dock. This is the only place I've done a wave runner excursion in the Caribbean that vendors paddled out to you and tried to sell stuff.

I never had it go that far, but I'm not surprised.

I never had it go that far, but I'm not surprised.
Last time I did it the guy paddled up to my wave runner, holds onto the side and tried to sell me stuff and I told him don't have money, he said he'll write me a ticket and pay the guy on the dock when I got back. It's that bad.

No Thank you works for me every time.... Miss the days of Labadee 30yrs ago being quiet out of way place. Though it had no Pier it also had no Buildings, no Fun Park, no Locals selling(though know they need make a living), it also had a real Barbecue, not the pre-formed meat patties and at most 500-1000 onshore during most of day...

Does this mean the Jet ski excursion in Labadee is something along the lines of where you have to follow a "leader"? My sister and her boyfriend booked and from reading the review I didn't get the impression that you just had to follow each other around, but I've never done it!

Does this mean the Jet ski excursion in Labadee is something along the lines of where you have to follow a "leader"? My sister and her boyfriend booked and from reading the review I didn't get the impression that you just had to follow each other around, but I've never done it!

Yes, it's follow the leader.

It is indeed follow-the-leader, but if you've never been on a Jet Ski on the ocean, it is thrilling! Way better than a lake or river!

As for the vendors... yup. They paddle out to you. It's easy enough to say NO and they'll leave you alone.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your responses! We have rented Jet skis before in Florida and they give you an hour and just tell you to stay between two piers and you can do as you please... which for me is go as fast as I want! haha

So, they don't give riders any free time/space to zoom around as I feel jet skis are intended for? Or do you get a chance to do so? It kinda seems like a waste of time renting a jet ski if not lol :'):')

The faster riders will zoom ahead,.....then sit and wait for the other slowpokes to "catch up", then you do it again....and again, and wait...you really can't "do your own thing"....either you'll be waiting or trying to catch up...depending on your comfort level. God help you if someone falls off...(which happened to my husband's group once....) they had to sit there, floating around, until they could get the fallen woman out of the water....

We rode them in June...nobody approached us. But Labadee has always been pushy. I didn’t care for the excursion. I was one of the slow pokes lol. One of the guides stayed with me the whole time so I wouldn’t hold up anybody. But my husband and son they go fast and we’re towards the front. They put you in order fast to slow. They prefer to do their own thing in the ocean. It was something to do while there. We had the time before a different excursion. We wouldn’t do it again.

Maybe I didn’t see anybody approach them because I was basically doing my own thing, by default??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They did the same to us. I felt kinda bad for them because we all know the conditions at Haiti, and their try to sell something is an opportunity to them, since tourism in Haiti is almost nonexistent. Even one of the sellers asked me to trade my watch (a cheap old worn Casio) for a couple of his artifacts, but I declined.

It's an uncomfortable situation.

Our family has booked the jet skis 5 times over the last 8 years.

The DD and DS are usually ranked #1 or #2. They take turns.

Both of them usually attain full throttle full speed ahead behind the front guide.

Me on the other hand usually request #6 or #7 spot.

Two years ago, we were the last group to go out at 1pm. While we were out high waves and windy conditions developed,

They cancelled all excursions on the jet ski after us and reimbursed those who had booked them.

They made time to stop at the locals selling their trinkets though.

My DD and DS were thrilled with the waves jumping them and having the time of their lives.

Me on the other hand stayed with the guide in the back and made it safely but not tooo slow back to the dock.

It maybe follow the leader.

But you need to remember, this is a tourist location. You are in unfamiliar waters with reefs, sand bars and shallow areas out in the bay.

The guides are familiar with the areas ----- and of course we are not.

They provide for our safety.

Yea when the waves came in they instructed us to not go tooo slow, it would be worse, try to keep a speed comfortable enough to get to the end.

For us this is a weekend warrior event since we do not do jet skis events at home.

I do not know how many vacationers do own jet skis and are very skilled at them. If you do own them and are proficient, this excursion could be lame for you.

For us, it is sheer pleasure.

Enjoy.

Locals or not its all about having fun on vacation.