"after market" coffee cards

lsok

Ebay did not do this nor did you get accused of buying one on ebay, scare tactics, really! Paperless is why Princess went this route because of Ocean Medallion which coincides with the dates of the cards expiration. It is extra money for Princess to keep the extra punches you don't use instead of carrying them over. If you add up the number of cards sold on ebay it is maybe 6 or 7 not worth while for a company to change their policy for that reason alone. We are becoming a digital, cashless society and that's all there is to it.

I went to make a payment on my Citibank Visa because I charged a cruise deposit on it. The bank told me after this month they no longer accept cash! I need to open a checking account and deposit the cash into that and transfer the money to my credit card for payment. I do not have a checking account with Citibank so no longer will I be able to use cash with them.

It's also being implemented because of the anticipation of the Medallions which will happen someday.

Just walk up to the counter & have your medallion scanned for a punch.

Since paper coffee cards were discontinued this month, all paper cards were “purchased” on prior voyages and should not be valid for fresh brewed coffees, premium tea, and hot chocolate. If you buy an “after market card” whether blank on the back or not, you will only get 15 beverages with the punches. For people wanting fresh brewed coffee, premium tea, and hot chocolate they are now worthless [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruzsnooze

How can you say I wasn't accused of buying my coffee card on Ebay by the guy behind the counter. Were you there? I was, and really mad. And really mad right now for you saying I didn't get accused (turned in Mini bar setup in case you didn't read that).

I will repeat myself for your benefit because you don't read correctly.

Ebay is not to blame. It is the cheap cheap people cruising on Princess cruises that sell their cards to make a few bucks.And also the ones that buy them

I have a couple of card with punches left. Next cruise I will be treating my friends to punches before the cards expire.

Cruzsnooze

How can you say I wasn't accused of buying my coffee card on Ebay by the guy behind the counter. Were you there? I was, and really mad. And really mad right now for you saying I didn't get accused (turned in Mini bar setup in case you didn't read that).

I will repeat myself for your benefit because you don't read correctly.

Ebay is not to blame. It is the cheap cheap people cruising on Princess cruises that sell their cards to make a few bucks.And also the ones that buy them

I have a couple of card with punches left. Next cruise I will be treating my friends to punches before the cards expire.

So your mad at people who have extra cards who are trying to recoup they're money?

If you feel that strongly about it, you should just let your cards expire & let Princess gain even more money in the process. :D

Ebay did not do this nor did you get accused of buying one on ebay, scare tactics, really! Paperless is why Princess went this route because of Ocean Medallion which coincides with the dates of the cards expiration. It is extra money for Princess to keep the extra punches you don't use instead of carrying them over. If you add up the number of cards sold on ebay it is maybe 6 or 7 not worth while for a company to change their policy for that reason alone. We are becoming a digital, cashless society and that's all there is to it.

I went to make a payment on my Citibank Visa because I charged a cruise deposit on it. The bank told me after this month they no longer accept cash! I need to open a checking account and deposit the cash into that and transfer the money to my credit card for payment. I do not have a checking account with Citibank so no longer will I be able to use cash with them.

This has to do with money laundering nothing to do with technology...big brother wants to watch every move we make....depends where you live but, banks near me have been questioning cash deposits for a long time....It used to be in and out 10,000 and above reported, now it is any cash transaction can be reported and you can no longer deposit cash into someone else's account without being a signer and you must show ID. Or as you stated above they will put it as deposit into an existing account and then transfer it.

I don't work at a bank so someone else is welcomed to chime in..just relaying what I have learned by being involved with toooo many banks. :D

Depositing all that big money I make by selling coffee cards...:evilsmile::D NOT!

not really understanding how the cruise line can accuse someone of something they didn't do without some proof. I actually do have 1-2 coffee cards from a Princess cruise 3 years ago with a few open punches left to use. When I present those on my next cruise, how can they accuse me of buying them from Ebay when I actually didn't? Aren't they required to prove that somehow?

This has to do with money laundering nothing to do with technology...big brother wants to watch every move we make....depends where you live but, banks near me have been questioning cash deposits for a long time....It used to be in and out 10,000 and above reported, now it is any cash transaction can be reported and you can no longer deposit cash into someone else's account without being a signer and you must show ID. Or as you stated above they will put it as deposit into an existing account and then transfer it.

I don't work at a bank so someone else is welcomed to chime in..just relaying what I have learned by being involved with toooo many banks. :D

Depositing all that big money I make by selling coffee cards...:evilsmile::D NOT!

I think it also has to do with the IRS wanting to make sure all money is taxed. It was common for an individual business owner to not declare all his income. Our society has become Big Brother and gets more and intrusive with technology.

IF Princess wanted to they could just put a bar code on their coffee cards like any other gift certificate which has an individual code and would prevent theft and forgery, but it's more labor. It's less expensive for them to do it digitally when all of the Ocean Medallion is rolled out.

I have never had a problem with an informally sourced coffee card, and in any case how could anyone even tell where you got it from?

That long passage of legalese sounds like B* to me.

And yes saving say $30 or so on a pair of coffee cards is worth it.

This is one of the reasons why Princess is changing the system from cards to electronic. Too much abuse of the current system with cards given as a benefit, being sold.

I think it also has to do with the IRS wanting to make sure all money is taxed. It was common for an individual business owner to not declare all his income. Our society has become Big Brother and gets more and intrusive with technology.

IF Princess wanted to they could just put a bar code on their coffee cards like any other gift certificate which has an individual code and would prevent theft and forgery, but it's more labor. It's less expensive for them to do it digitally when all of the Ocean Medallion is rolled out.

Uncle Sam always wants a cut whether or not the money was made legally.:rolleyes:

....there have always been "cheaters" in our world....and technology puts limits on them, but only for a time until they figure out how to circumvent the new system....

The coffee cards are a good example, people know the policy, but if they can beat the system(for example using a card for fresh brewed several cruises or selling cards) they actually announce it on CC with great pride.

Whatever:D;p

Enjoy the weekend everyone......Happy Cruising with or without a coffee card.

OP did u ever decide what you are planning to do.....?

With all of the changes, I would be wary of buying any card that had any additional identifying markings or expiration dates.

We have a couple of brand new totally blank cards that were for a cruise we had to cancel earlier this year, before the changes. I am hoping that, since we have the Beverage Package as a perk on our upcoming cruise, that these totally blank cards can be passed on to somebody else.

Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card.

If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019

I know that people here love to pick nits, and also enjoy bringing a file cabinet of paper with them,

so that they can show princess some detail that they have printed in advance...

Based on the above...

If it were August 30, 2019, and one had an unmarked coffee card...

...would one simply write in a future date, like, August 31, 2099?

Based on the rules, that would give the clever-cruiser an extra 80 years to use up the punches.

• Coffee cards cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Coffee package cards are only valid for use by the purchaser.
  • Cards that have been purchased from secondary sources, other than Princess Cruises, altered, tampered with, photocopied or are expired will be retained by the vessel at their sole discretion and are considered void.

QUESTION: How will they know where you got it?

It doesn't have a cruisers name on it.:confused:

I know that people here love to pick nits, and also enjoy bringing a file cabinet of paper with them,

so that they can show princess some detail that they have printed in advance...

Based on the above...

If it were August 30, 2019, and one had an unmarked coffee card...

...would one simply write in a future date, like, August 31, 2099?

Based on the rules, that would give the clever-cruiser an extra 80 years to use up the punches.

The only expiration date that I am aware of that was added to cards by Princess was 12/31/18. They would know any other date was not added by them and that would be considered tampering or altering. Per the Terms and Conditions, “ fine print,” you could lose the card for doing that [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes-- I guess it is a voyage #. Not sure what you mean by "punches" but not coffee or tea?

Coffee cards that are purchased on the voyage are good for unlimited fresh-brewed coffee and tea at International Cafe. Specialty drinks such as a vanilla latte are available for a "punch". There are areas around the edge of the card that get punched out to indicate you have used the card for that type of drink and there are a limited number of punches per card.

In the past any card that was purchased on a prior voyage has been good for the punches on future voyages but not for the fresh-brewed coffee or tea. Often the crew failed to write the voyage number and ship name on the card and people would buy unmarked cards online and then take them to the ship and present them as "newly purchased". As there was no identifying information on the card the crew had little choice but to accept them. They were supposed to write the name of the ship and the voyage number on the back but usually didn't do so.'

Princess is tired of people doing this and are doing away with the cards altogether. New cards are being issued with an expiration date. All old cards with no expiration date are being accepted through April 2019 but Princess has said after that date they will be of no use at all. Those who are Elite and don't drink alcohol have been trading their mini-bar setup for 2 coffee cards. After a few voyages they often they end up with a bunch of cards - far more than they can use. Those cards tend to end up for sale online. People are wondering what they are supposed to do when the change happens as they still won't want the mini-bar setup but won't be able to get coffee cards once they are discontinued.

I like the card because I can see at a glance how many punches are left and I was also able to simply give away a couple to people who were then able to use the punches. The new system seems like a weird way to go but Princess will do what they want and we can only wait to see how it works out.

The only expiration date that I am aware of that was added to cards by Princess was 12/31/18. They would know any other date was not added by them and that would be considered tampering or altering. Per the Terms and Conditions, “ fine print,” you could lose the card for doing that

Darn.

Maybe I will be able to leave the file cabinet at home...

If I were wanting to use the two cards that I have on our upcoming cruise, and they only wanted to honor the punches.... That would still be fine by me... DH and I are more interested in the specialty coffee and tea drinks that require a punch. We will also be on the Regal, where I hear the standard coffee is not as bad.

I think it would be very cheap and show a lack of goodwill to refuse to honor a brand new totally blank card for basic brewed coffee. These cards are not FAKE.... at some point they were obtained honestly... So, honor them just as they have been in the past.

And, I wonder if they might not be strict about that until the stated date in April????

I think that one year is a fair amount of notice for a change in terms/enforcement.

I would be interested if anyone with a brand new totally blank card is currently able to use it for basic coffee or tea????

I would be interested if anyone with a brand new totally blank card is currently able to use it for basic coffee or tea????

If they are no longer issuing coffee cards for your cruise and they are loaded onto your account they will know the free brewed and tea bags are no longer valid since the card was not issued for this cruise.

Since they accept cash as a deposit into a checking account, I cannot see any difference from a practical or legal viewpoint from just accepting cash to apply to the credit card. Either way, same amount of cash is accepted by bank.

I assume cruzsnooze has a checking account somewhere. If so, cruzsnooze can sign onto the citibank web site and set up to do one time transfers from her external checking account to make a payment on the credit card.

that 'card' was not issued on the current cruise - so no brewed coffee for you - unless a punch ...;p

only coffee 'packages' now - assigned to your cruise card...per person

Unless your sailing on the Royal or Regal where you can get all the brewed coffee you want for free without any card.....even at the IC before 6 AM.

We cruise very often. Many times I have leftover OBC at the end of the cruise and buy extra coffee cards to use on our next cruises. We leave again in September for 60 days and I have three brand new, unused, unsigned coffee cards that I will be using on that cruise. I can’t imagine they won’t except the coffee card, and provide brewed coffee, and the cards have no date so they should be good until 2019. I’ll let you know when we get back how that works out with the new policy :cool:

If I were wanting to use the two cards that I have on our upcoming cruise, and they only wanted to honor the punches.... That would still be fine by me... DH and I are more interested in the specialty coffee and tea drinks that require a punch. We will also be on the Regal, where I hear the standard coffee is not as bad.

I think it would be very cheap and show a lack of goodwill to refuse to honor a brand new totally blank card for basic brewed coffee. These cards are not FAKE.... at some point they were obtained honestly... So, honor them just as they have been in the past.

And, I wonder if they might not be strict about that until the stated date in April????

I think that one year is a fair amount of notice for a change in terms/enforcement.

Except that new blank cards are still only valid for basic brewed coffee on the cruise during which they were purchased or given in exchange for minibar. If the ship has gone electronic and no longer issues cards then they know for sure that the cards were NOT obtained on that cruise and as such not valid for basic brewed coffee.

Princess should have a record of all the coffee cards you've purchased or received in past cruises. As for the rudeness of the barista, that's just plain unacceptable.

And I guess the sellers on eBay aren't all members of Cruise Critic. They haven't caught up with the fact that Princess isn't issuing paper cards anymore, so even those cards without a ship's name and voyage number on them won't be good for unlimited brewed coffee and specialty teas.