Travel agent telling me obstructed view midship is better than balcony aft.

toledo

Is she just being lazy and doesn't want to change my reservation? This is an Alaskan cruise, where balconies, towards the back of the ship, are available for around the same price that I paid for my obstructed view window cabin.

I'd go with the balcony aft in a heartbeat no matter which ship you are looking at.

I've been in the obstructed view window cabins and for the price they can be nice. But a balcony aft wins out hands down.

Don't know why your TA is telling you something different. Has she/he been on the ship before?

Is she just being lazy and doesn't want to change my reservation? This is an Alaskan cruise, where balconies, towards the back of the ship, are available for around the same price that I paid for my obstructed view window cabin.

A cabin located nearer the middle of the ship is better in the sense that there will be less motion in rough weather. In my opinion a balcony cabin would be preferred for an Alaskan cruise.

Looking out of a window compared to sitting out on your own balcony at roughly the same price. Hmm tough choice:rolleyes:. I'd be telling your TA that you want a balcony, and then for your next trip find a new TA.

What ship? Is this for next year on Royal Princess? On the Royal-class ships, the midship obstructed balconies (not ocean view - there are no ocean view cabins on those) do not have any outward obstructions (as near as I can figure out, they’re considered obstructed because you look down on a roof). I consider them to be the sweet spot for pricing and am currently booked on my second cruise on Regal in one of the midship obstructed deluxe balconies.

OTOH, if this for another ship and it is comparing aft balcony to midship obstructed ocean view, then go with the balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you need to find a new travel agent, because your current agent has a issue here either A) Book the wrong cabin and is trying to cover or B) Is Clueless to Cruise Travel.

But don't take my word for this, call the cruise line and act like a new guest and ask them... they will say obstructed is a great deal but the better cabin is the aft Balcony. Happy cruise.

While of course all of you are correct, I'll sing the praises of an obstructed OV at the right price. We were perfectly satisfied at a fraction of what others paid on the boat. But at the same price? Easy choice.

This is the Star Princess, leaving in a month. Final payment has been made, but the balcony cabin price really dropped. I asked her to make the change. I guess it is a hassle if everyone does this. It feels like a game of musical chairs.

Thanks, everyone.

This is the Star Princess, leaving in a month. Final payment has been made, but the balcony cabin price really dropped. I asked her to make the change. I guess it is a hassle if everyone does this. It feels like a game of musical chairs.

Thanks, everyone.

I would take the aft balcony over midship cabin any day. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone.

Your travel agent should be able to handle this for you. An aft balcony is definitely preferable for your cruise. Making the type of change you are requesting is not uncommon. It might mean that your travel agent has to pick uo the phone and speak to a customer relations rep.

Now she says that it is for new bookings only and my price is 2.5 times higher.

This maybe true. See if she can fight for an upgrade or OBC if your original price on your cabin is much lower. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Now she says that it is for new bookings only and my price is 2.5 times higher.[/quote

If I were you, I would insist that she call customer relations on your behalf and request consideration for the change. It has never failed to work for me as long as the travel agent actively advocates for you.

The forward and aft balcony cabins have dropped to the same price as my inside obstructed view mid ship cabin.

Same price as you PAID for the OV?? Or same price right now, but more than you paid?

If same as you paid. Just book the new cabin and cancel the old cabin.

If same price right now, TA is correct. Then you have to decide if you want to pay the new price.

It is the same price I paid. Do I get all my money back after final payment?

Travel agent claims she talked to supervisor at Princess and they said there was nothing they could do on an existing booking.

Travel agent claims she talked to supervisor at Princess and they said there was nothing they could do on an existing booking.

After Final you are in the cruise lines Penalty Period for cancelations.

Just how close to sailing you cancel determines the Penalty .

If the new rate is a Princess Flash Rate (new bookings only) , little chance any TA will have the pull to rebook you , but some have connections.

I am guessing that the lower price is under a different promo. You would lose any perks you have on your original booking. However, any TA that can't cancel and rebook sounds pretty lame. I can cancel my current cruise and rebook for a much better fare but would lose free flights and free gratuities. Not a deal for me. I actually have 3 cruises booked that I'd love to get the new promos on but have pricing that is so much lower that even the $1,000 OBC from the Landmark sale doesn't work on one of them.

I don't understand why the TA can't get you a new booking. Heck, book the new cabin at the lower price and then cancel the old booking. You could book directly with Princess and then call your TA and say you want to cancel the original booking.

The only real positive about the mid-ship location is that it's never more than half-way from anyplace on the ship to and from your cabin.

People with mobility issues appreciate never having to walk too far and there is less motion mid-ship for those who tend to get seasick. :)

You are 29 days from cruising; today your penalty for cancelling is 50% of the cruise cost. Tomorrow it becomes 75%.

Theoretically you could cancel, lose half and rebook the balcony at the same price, but you end up paying that 50% too. Probably not worth it at that cost.

But your TA should go to bat for you and ask for something, (OBC, Dining vouchers, etc) because seeing this sort of huge price drop makes you think you might not book early ever again, right? Princess doesn’t want that feeling, either.

You are 29 days from cruising; today your penalty for cancelling is 50% of the cruise cost. Tomorrow it becomes 75%.

Theoretically you could cancel, lose half and rebook the balcony at the same price, but you end up paying that 50% too. Probably not worth it at that cost.

But your TA should go to bat for you and ask for something, (OBC, Dining vouchers, etc) because seeing this sort of huge price drop makes you think you might not book early ever again, right? Princess doesn’t want that feeling, either.

I agree that your TA should fight but it also depends on who she/he gets on the other side. Sometimes they get someone who is willing to help and other times they are not. It really makes no sense why sometimes you get something and sometimes you don't.

Regardless - I hope you have a great cruise.

I guess that depends on the criteria you gave her. Did you want a cabin that you couldn't feel the rock and roll of the ship. I hear mid ship is better for that. What exactly did you ask for?

Not sure how the TA can do more. The reason that the new prices are there is because sailing is only a bit over 4 weeks away and Princess wants to fill the ship not play musical cabins with bookings it already has. Sometimes it pays to book early and other times it pays to wait. Hopefully the OP has a great cruise no matter what cabin they are in.