Sea legs after cruise / MdDS

jaee901

I was wondering how long it takes most people to stop feeling like they are on a cruise. I am woobly/swaying/rocking, feel dizzy and nauseous, my head feels heavy and my ears feel full. I am looking for other people's experiences and how long this may last. I am afraid it is MdMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The friend who cruises with us has this very badly. After our last cruise, it lasted about two weeks. It was so bad that she got ill after talking to someone wearing a striped shirt. :(

She got some relief by having acupuncture done.

From reading about this, it can last anywhere from a couple of days up to a couple of months(!!!).

Hopefully yours wears off quickly.

its a sign that you need to book more cruises. one of the things i noticed as i go on more cruises, the less i feel the after effects of being on a ship. about 6-12 hours of being back at home from a cruise, my land legs is back and everything is back to normal for me.

its a sign that you need to book more cruises. one of the things i noticed as i go on more cruises, the less i feel the after effects of being on a ship. about 6-12 hours of being back at home from a cruise, my land legs is back and everything is back to normal for me.

This......my first cruise I felt it for a month, by my third cruise it was just a few days. I kind of like it though, reminds me of the ship!!

I'm so sorry to hear you're suffering with this. It's awful. I get the same thing. I'm miserable and trying to keep from falling over or throwing up after a cruise. It takes incredible focus to do even the most basic of tasks. For me, it usually resolves itself the same number of days as the cruise was (9 day cruise = 9 days of recovery afterwards). I've tried taking bonine or dramamine afterwards, but it really has no effect.

After our last cruise, I said, "I can't do this anymore", but that was 2 years ago, so I'm doing it again. : ) I did schedule a few extra days off work this time so I can stay home, rest, and hopefully recover quicker.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Wow I hope u feel better soon!! I can't imagine thexruise being worth it being so sick afterwards....

Were u sick on cruise?

On my 1st cruise I felt like I was walking zig zag after for a few days.... never happen again.

So wierd because I am a wuss with any rides... roller coaster.... domt like my stomach dropping.... but knock on wood so far cruises ok.

Kerri

I was wondering how long it takes most people to stop feeling like they are on a cruise. I am woobly/swaying/rocking, feel dizzy and nauseous, my head feels heavy and my ears feel full. I am looking for other people's experiences and how long this may last. I am afraid it is MdMS.

For those unaware of this disorder MdDS (Mal de Debarquement), here is a link. https://mddsfoundation.org/

Most people get their land legs back before they would be diagnosed with this syndrome. When it lasts longer than two weeks, it's time to see a doc familiar with the disorder.

For those unaware of this disorder MdDS (Mal de Debarquement), here is a link. https://mddsfoundation.org/

Most people get their land legs back before they would be diagnosed with this syndrome. When it lasts longer than two weeks, it's time to see a doc familiar with the disorder.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've never been seasick and I grew up sailing on our family boat every summer. I cruised about 5 or more times with no problems. Then, BAM. We left the ship in NY, took the train home, started laundry and then it hit me. I was so confused and I could barely walk. I realized I was feeling like the friends and family I'd seen over the years on our sailboat. I now take some Dramamine and try to sleep it off. Most importantly, don't take a shower unless you have a seat! It's always worse in the shower. It's lasted anywhere from 2-10 days. I have cruised about 4 times since this started. It hasn't stopped me, and I'm always hopeful that I'll "grow out of this"!

For me (5 cruises) it lasts 2-3 weeks. I have a little dizziness and borderline nausea. And for one day I get terribly nauseous, as if I have a stomach flu. This time I'm going to take Dramamine (and ginger. and anything else I think might work) AFTER the cruise. I have begun to wonder if it is caused by withdrawal from the anti-seasickness patch that I wear while onboard....Also, FYI, I never have gotten sick while onboard.

I was put on meclizine. The doctors mentioned it can be withdrawl from the patch, that I should have left it on for a week after. I feel a a little better but still feel like I'm rocking. I am just hoping it isn't MdDS.

Thank you for posting this! I have just been on my first ever cruise and been suffering for nearly 2 weeks at this stage. The only time I feel completely normal is when I'm driving!

It came over me very unexpectedly as I didn't have problems when I went ashore in port... although after an extra sea day due to rough seas I did have a couple of moments when ashore, but nothing compared to the experience since coming home. My ears popped badly while my flight was coming into land and the tinnitus I have in one of my ears has been louder than usual, so I am beginning to think I have a combination of issues going on. I had a few days earlier this week when I thought I was getting over it, but it's been back with a vengeance in the last 24 hours or so, along with a horrendous headache.

It's slightly comforting to read that others suffer with this too.

Be aware that tere may be possible after effects of using a Scopolmine patch to avoid sea sickness. according to a recent artical:

Scopolamine patch, Tranderm Scop, is marketed by Baxter Healthcare for Novartis for surgical antiemetic control or for the control of motion sickness. Each patch contains 1.5 mg of scopolamine programmed to deliver 1 mg over 3 days transdermally through a layer of rate controlling membrane.1 It was designed to be removed 24 hours after surgery. For control of motion sickness, it was to be changed every 72 hours and removed from the skin after the condition for motion sickness had passed. Scopolamine patch withdrawal syndrome is under-recognized and under-appreciated. A literature search and discussion with medical and pharmacy colleagues yielded very little information about adverse effects associated with discontinuation of scopolamine. Scopolamine is generally believed to be the most effective drug to control motion sickness, with a 75% reduction in motion-induced nausea and vomiting; others dispute that it is not any more effective than antihistamines like meclizine.2 Scopolamine patch is generally not recommended for children or the elderly because of toxicity.

We had received several patient complaints about scopolamine patch withdrawal after using them for motion sickness control on vacations. The associated symptoms were described as being very debilitating, similar to exacerbated motion sickness with severe headache.3 This syndrome affected mostly patients who used the patch for 3 days or more, although there was at least one case in which a patient who only used the patch for 24 hours was affected. Typically, symptoms manifested 18 to 72 hours after the patch was removed and could last from several days to weeks. Common symptoms included nausea, headache, and blurred vision. These symptoms were consistent with rebound cholinergic activity and included dizziness, nausea, vomiting, paresthesias of the hands and feet, dysphoria, and hypotension.