Pacific Eden leaving P&O Australia fleet

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand the thinking behind this sale of Pacific Eden. Much money was spent to convert her from my loved Statendam for the P&O Australia market. Has such money spent been recovered already by the Company?

What's Pacific Aria's (aka Ryndam) future for this Company, I wonder.

I really don't understand the thinking behind this sale of Pacific Eden. Much money was spent to convert her from my loved Statendam for the P&O Australia market. Has such money spent been recovered already by the Company?

What's Pacific Aria's (aka Ryndam) future for this Company, I wonder.

She'll have served 3 years which, while not long, also is reasonable/not uncommon.

At the time, P&O needed to expand to meet the competition and she improved their standing. Now they have newer ships to replace her and are going through a period of fleet renewal.

At this stage, there's nothing to suggest Aria will be leaving in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pacific Eden's new name once it joins CMV will be Vasco Da Gama.

Hi! When you did Pacific Eden last year was it a 10n cruise? Wondering what evening themes may be... Nothing on the website.

Thanks Andrea:D

On our last cruise (15 nights) we were waiting for formal nights but they never happened. We spoke to the Matire'd who said that P&O wanted to be more family friendly therefore got rid of the official formal nights but always enjoyed when people dressed up. There was a real mix of people who dressed for dinner or not even on the theme nights.

P&O Australia announced this morning that the Pacific Eden will be leaving the fleet in April 2019 :(

Here is the announcement: https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8459

Sad to see this happening and find this comment by P&O’s President a little confusing when he says that losing Pacific Eden, refreshing Pacific Dawn and bringing in Golden Princess to the fleet is a strategy to “expand” the line?

“The 1,500-passenger Pacific Eden joined the Aussie fleet less than three years ago in November 2015 and was one of the first ships, along with Pacific Aria, to be transformed to reflect P&O’s new modern Australian look. Its departure makes way for the arrival of the larger 2,600-passenger Golden Princess in 2020, which is part of P&O's strategy to expand and refresh the line.”

Is it just me ??

Sad to see. Statendam was the first of its class before the merger of HAL with Princess. She was still "right sized" (in my opinion) at 1286 pax and should do well with its German clientele.