move over offer question - Regal Princess

starmora

I received an email from my TA this morning about a moveover offer

My cruise leaves in 1 week - June 23, 2018 sailing!

First time sailing with Princess so completely unfamiliar with this. They offered 11 night anywhere in the world plus refund of hotel/air expenses, and refund in form of refundable OBC

Seems odd to me, but also hard to redeem as limited to 11 night

Thanks all for shedding any light or perspective on this!

respond immediately !!!

I'm sure it will be an 'up to' 11 night substitution..

move overs are amazing

do it now!!! - hopefully it's not too late...

Edited by voljeep

It will certainly be 11 nights or less. These are GREAT deals if you can be flexible. Call immediately. You should also receive an upgrade in cabin type on your replacement cruise (balcony to mini suite, for example).

What you will get is 100% of what you've paid for your current cruise as an onboard credit (refundable) on the new cruise + the new cruise totally free. Since you are unlikely to spend all the OBC you'll have, you'll receive a check about 3 weeks after you return from the new cruise.

If you booked air thru EZ Air, they will "protect" your air, meaning that what you spent on air this time will be applied to next time. If next time costs more, Princess will pay the difference. If it is less, they will send you a refund for that as well. If you booked air privately, they will give you some sort of allowance toward changing your air dates.

Bottom line, it is the best deal going if you can be flexible with dates.

These offers are totally legitimate. It means that Princess oversold the cruise and is desperate to free up certain types of cabins...and you have one of those cabins that they need.

I assume your booked cruise is the 11-night Baltic? You can just take the same cruise next year and do it for free. That's what we did last summer, traded it in for the same Baltic cruise this summer and got boosted from a mini-suite to a Penthouse Suite in the bargain.

Jim

I personally have turned down every move over offer. I am still working and usually have hotels/air tied up with FF miles and private tours booked. I have reserved the time off from work and usually really need a vacation by the time the move over offer happens. Maybe once I am retired, life will be different but if I received an offer for my cruise that also starts next Saturday, I wouldn't take it.

certainly move overs are not for everybody on every cruise...

we were/are very fortunate that we could accept ours and move from a 5 day to a 7 day the very next Sunday...we basically only had to cancel our park n ride reservation and change the date for our dog being taken care of...

very, very fortunate - and yes, no flights involved...

We took a move over offer on the June 1 sailing also on the Regal. We replaced it with a 12 day Mediterranean sailing on the Pacific Princess leaving October 18 this year in a mini suite. We were in a deluxe balcony We had to pay a per diem for the extra night. If we had paid for this cruise ourselves it would have costed twice what the Regal cruise did. I have sent my information in to be reimbursed the money we were out to put our frequent flyer miles back into our accounts. It has only been a week, I don't expect a check for 4 to 6 weeks. So far everything they said they would do they did. Michelle has been very helpful. For us it was a good deal. But we have play in our travel schedules. Most people don't.

We took a move over offer on the June 1 sailing also on the Regal. We replaced it with a 12 day Mediterranean sailing on the Pacific Princess leaving October 18 this year in a mini suite. We were in a deluxe balcony We had to pay a per diem for the extra night. If we had paid for this cruise ourselves it would have costed twice what the Regal cruise did. I have sent my information in to be reimbursed the money we were out to put our frequent flyer miles back into our accounts. It has only been a week, I don't expect a check for 4 to 6 weeks. So far everything they said they would do they did. Michelle has been very helpful. For us it was a good deal. But we have play in our travel schedules. Most people don't.

Michelle gave us the option of waiting for a check or having her add the reimbursement of our "non refundable expenses" to the refundable OBC for our replacement cruise. We opted for the latter even though we'll wait longer for it. I saw the extra OBC post immediately in the CP so I figured it would save follow ups if the check didn't arrive in the timeframe given.

We took a move-over offer 2 years ago. We were booked on a 7-night cruise and the offer was a refund of the 7-night as refundable OBC and a free cruise up to 10 days, plus a 1-category upgrade on the new cruise. We called them immediately, accepted the offer, and wrote down all the information. Then I called them back several days later to let them know what cruise we wanted as a replacement. We chose a 12-day cruise, and Princess calculated the daily rate for the cruise at the current category (mini-suite) and subtracted the price for 2 days from our on-board credit. Then they applied the 1-category upgrade to a suite for the 12-day cruise without cost. We received a check for the unused OBC about a month after we got home from the new 12-day cruise.

The specific terms of a Move-Over offer vary. It is important to call ASAP, and let them know you are interested even if you do not have a "new cruise" picked out yet. They will give you the information you need and you can call them back days or weeks later with the new cruise.

when we got our move over email, it contained 3 or 4 'suggested' cruises, and we did take one of those, but understood, they were only suggestions and could take any 7 day cruise.

not sure what posters are saying about 'per diem' - but we had prepaid grats on our 5 day and Princess picked up the extra 2 days for the 7 day we went on

Please let us know what you decide.

my husband was willing to do it, but my mother is also travelling in another cabin with a retiree friend with us and she did not want to (we decided to base it on this). I'm the one who booked it all, and suggested we could do a cruise when I have my next vacation dates in December, but a no go.

It's her first cruise since my father died so I said no to the offer. Thought I could persuade her after the information you all provided, but no.

Thanks again everyone!

Just a heads up for those of you waiting for a check to arrive in the mail with your refundable OBC: make sure you open every envelope that doesn't have a return address on it. Mine came in a completely unmarked envelope (just the stamp and a postal date stamp). I almost threw it away thinking it was junk mail.

OP-Congrats on the offer! If you can, take it!

I believe the per diem being referred to is in case you want a longer cruise than what was listed in the move over offer. ie, Princess offers up to 10 days as the replacement, but you choose a 12 day. Then you would pay a per-day price for the two extra days. It's nice that they allow you that flexibility.

We are leaving on our move over replacement cruise in just about a month. We also really "booked up" on our replacement. Our cabin fare on the original was $791 pp for an obstructed oceanview on a 14 day S. America; we traded it in for 15 day Iceland/Norway on the Pacific in a mini which sold for about $7,000 pp. The offer included an upgrade from the original oceanview to a balcony, so we chose the highest cat premium balcony. An aft mini was only $300 pp more, so we used some of our refundable obc to "upsell" ourselves.

The original offer was for a 14-day but the Princess rep agreed to let us choose a 15-day for no extra, which we very much appreciated since we had been eyeing the one we chose but just couldn't justify the high prices.

Correct--the per diem comes into effect when you want to book a longer cruise than Princess offers in your "move over." Sometimes they will budge and give you one extra day, but more recently they are calculating the cost of the one day in your originally booked category and charging you that amount (deducting from the OBC you are receiving). And then they apply the one category upgrade....so if your offer was 11 nights and you'd booked a mini suite, you could use the "per diem" calculation and get 12 nights in a full suite for the cost of 1 night in a mini.

Move overs are always good deals; some are better than others.

You can sometimes negotiate at the time of the offer. And, while I've never had it happen, people have reported getting an offer and a few days or a week later, having Princess come back with a sweeter offer.

We were offered a move over once and I told the woman who called that I'd have to talk to my husband about it. BAD MOVE on my part. The deal was amazing but someone else got the deal by the time I called back. :loudcry:

We were offered a move over once and I told the woman who called that I'd have to talk to my husband about it. BAD MOVE on my part. :loudcry:

Mrs. Pablo got a call like this.

It was absolutely true that she couldn't find me.

Princess thought she was negotiating, and kept offering better and better offers.

They were still offering at 16:30 for a cruise leaving the next day.

We got all out money back, and the same cruise in a full suite a couple weeks later.

When this happened, Princess credited the cruise fare back to my card in less than one day.

(I presume so that I would have no possible claim)

My opinion is that princess credits take as long as princess wants them to.

When they tell you 2 billing cycles, it is for their pleasure.

UPDATE!!!! we leave for Europe tonight and got an offer sent at 1am -- SAME cruise, move to obstructed balcony -- refund for 1/2 of cruise fare as refundable ob credit, specialty dining voucher -- same room just several decks down now...

my mom is also on the cruise so I said I would do it if she and her friend could move close to us -- so they are now next door to us (originally a deck below us). They got the same moveover deal, plus I spoke of my mom's situation in caring for my dad, and it being the first trip since he died (I've been responsible for getting everything booked for her), and just the issues that go with that so I asked for an extra specialty voucher for her and a coffee card and water bottle package -- took some time to get back to me but they said yes!

Thanks again for the input on the board. Wanted to let you all know how it turned out. We are very happy we didn't have to move off the cruise and am delighted we now have rooms beside each other!

congrats - you were certainly in the positive leverage position...

that being said - how would you have felt if they had never called you back about the extra specialty voucher (29) coffee card/package(35) water(7) = $ 71

and just moved onto another customer.

pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered

but at that last, last minute, Princess must have been pretty desperate for some reason to secure your room

again, super move over off - enjoy the OBC - we sure did...;p

This is typically referred to as a "move down" offer rather than a move over--GREAT deal though. And nice that they'd toss in an extra $71 for mom.

There is nothing wrong with asking them to sweeten the pot a little. We got a move down offer on a B2B, we'd been wait listed to have the same cabin for each leg for many months. They were able to work some magic and do it. No, I didn't love taking an inside cabin instead of the balcony I'd booked, but we got a full refund for that leg and still cruised! That bought lots of excursions and still got a nice check.