Photography excursion in Skagway

kidclassic

I am looking at doing a photography excursion in Skagway and wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share.

The one from Princess looks decent but a little short: https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=SGY-330&t=&exType=S

Any suggestions would be great!

Just a fyi: I do landscape photography, examples: https://www.instagram.com/whatiseefromhere/

WOW - it is about your pictures

i took photography tour once (it was not in Alaska) and i won't do it again

it was a small group of people, the guide was showing where is better to take pictures from when we had stops, was talking about different cameras, different zooms, etc

by looking at your pictures i think you don't need instructions given to us during the tour (but it is my personal opinion)

If you are comfortable driving yourself, you will have more time and get further out to see more things if you rent a car and drive. We did a private tour with Beyond Skagway which was 7 hours catered to us and what we wanted to see or do. It was amazing! We drove up to Emerald Lake and back. I took over 100 pictures that day, and our guide was kind enough to take a few snaps of me with my mom.

The best part about going further out is that you see three distinctive types of landscapes—rain forest, arctic tundra, and arboreal forest I believe. All are beautiful in their own way. The tribal shops and totems in Carcross are nice as well the suspension bridge. Emerald Lake is beautiful. The photo opportunities are everywhere. If you don’t need someone giving you lessons, you will have more time just to click away to your heart’s content if you drive independently or do a private tour.

However, if I were going to want something where someone gave pointers, where there were other photo enthusiasts to talk shop with, and I didn’t want to drive, the excursion you picked seems a very reasonable price point.

Seems to me you can’t lose! 😃

Enjoy Skagway. It is a great place.

WOW - it is about your pictures

i took photography tour once (it was not in Alaska) and i won't do it again

it was a small group of people, the guide was showing where is better to take pictures from when we had stops, was talking about different cameras, different zooms, etc

by looking at your pictures i think you don't need instructions given to us during the tour (but it is my personal opinion)

For me it is about having someone take me to the locations that I can explore.

If you are comfortable driving yourself, you will have more time and get further out to see more things if you rent a car and drive. We did a private tour with Beyond Skagway which was 7 hours catered to us and what we wanted to see or do. It was amazing! We drove up to Emerald Lake and back. I took over 100 pictures that day, and our guide was kind enough to take a few snaps of me with my mom.

The best part about going further out is that you see three distinctive types of landscapes—rain forest, arctic tundra, and arboreal forest I believe. All are beautiful in their own way. The tribal shops and totems in Carcross are nice as well the suspension bridge. Emerald Lake is beautiful. The photo opportunities are everywhere. If you don’t need someone giving you lessons, you will have more time just to click away to your heart’s content if you drive independently or do a private tour.

However, if I were going to want something where someone gave pointers, where there were other photo enthusiasts to talk shop with, and I didn’t want to drive, the excursion you picked seems a very reasonable price point.

Seems to me you can’t lose! 😃

Enjoy Skagway. It is a great place.

I like the idea of renting a car and going for it, however I will be on my own for this. The other people are doing a hike/float tour and I wanted a photo trip. I don't think my wife would be up for me heading off into the Alaskan wilderness alone (it does sound perfect to me)!

Still trying to find a tour that will take me to some good locations and let me explore.

Thanks for the idea

For me it is about having someone take me to the locations that I can explore.

I would highly recommend the Yukon Discovery tour through Frontier Excursions. We stopped at many beautiful and varied places to have a look and take pictures. There were only about 20 people on the bus, and the guide was fantastic. The price was reasonable (look for the discount code on the website) and it included lunch.

I like the idea of renting a car and going for it, however I will be on my own for this. The other people are doing a hike/float tour and I wanted a photo trip. I don't think my wife would be up for me heading off into the Alaskan wilderness alone (it does sound perfect to me)!

Still trying to find a tour that will take me to some good locations and let me explore.

Thanks for the idea

It’s pretty much one road up and back, and it does get fairly regular traffic just in case you needed help.

I would highly recommend the Yukon Discovery tour through Frontier Excursions. We stopped at many beautiful and varied places to have a look and take pictures. There were only about 20 people on the bus, and the guide was fantastic. The price was reasonable (look for the discount code on the website) and it included lunch.

I have looked at this one. Were the people on the tour photographers or both? I really don't want to get rushed from place to place.

I have looked at this one. Were the people on the tour photographers or both? I really don't want to get rushed from place to place.

It was not photographer specific , but I didn't feel rushed. I think the 6 hour length allowed a reasonable pace. We were at caribou crossing the longest because we had lunch there.

I have not done that tour, but have done two private photo tours with the company that operates that tour and both were FANTASTIC. The tour guide we had last time had done the tour you're asking about in the morning before doing our private tour, and he would have been fantastic on the group tour as well. Truly, every photo guide at that company seems to be excellent at what they do.

Take a look at http://www.joeordonez.com for what they offer. They don't list a private Skagway tour, but will do it on request. We did their Haines tour in 2015 and hit the jackpot with great landscapes, eagles, and bears.

I have not done that tour, but have done two private photo tours with the company that operates that tour and both were FANTASTIC. The tour guide we had last time had done the tour you're asking about in the morning before doing our private tour, and he would have been fantastic on the group tour as well. Truly, every photo guide at that company seems to be excellent at what they do.

Take a look at http://www.joeordonez.com for what they offer. They don't list a private Skagway tour, but will do it on request. We did their Haines tour in 2015 and hit the jackpot with great landscapes, eagles, and bears.

I wish I had the budget to do a private photo tour! That would be amazing

One thing I forgot to mention. Though we didn't book a private tour, we were the only people on the tour so the 4 hours was spent going to the locations that I wanted to see.

That is good to know! I sent them an email asking about tours in Skagway since they don't list any.

Peety3 thank you for sharing this info! I am always looking for excursions geared toward photographers. NCL doesn't offer this in Skagway, but I'm going to see if the timing would work when were there in September (bear season!)!

I took a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier photographer tour in Juneau with Gastineau Guiding and it was well worth it, if nothing else for the smaller group that was genuinely interested in the scenery!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Edited by mbuenzli
Stupid autocorrect

If you're not able to book with the one mentioned prior, I would definitely consider driving to Emerald Lake. Like others mentioned, it's a very good paved highway with no where to get "lost". You can rent a car with Avis in town (although, you want to reserve in advance). The picture opportunities into the Yukon are endless. You can download Murray's guide online (I think it was $5?) and he lists a mile by mile guide where there are pull outs, etc.

The next option would be to go through a private guide like Dyea Dave where it is a small shuttle of 12-15 people. While it's not photography specific, since it's such a small group, there was plenty of time for picture taking. He never rushed anyone back onto the shuttle the time we went with him. You also have the ability to buy a ticket on the train and they'll drop you off on the way back down to Skagway where you can get a different perspective and some great pictures that weren't available on the shuttle on the way "up".

If you're not able to book with the one mentioned prior, I would definitely consider driving to Emerald Lake. Like others mentioned, it's a very good paved highway with no where to get "lost". You can rent a car with Avis in town (although, you want to reserve in advance). The picture opportunities into the Yukon are endless. You can download Murray's guide online (I think it was $5?) and he lists a mile by mile guide where there are pull outs, etc.

The next option would be to go through a private guide like Dyea Dave where it is a small shuttle of 12-15 people. While it's not photography specific, since it's such a small group, there was plenty of time for picture taking. He never rushed anyone back onto the shuttle the time we went with him. You also have the ability to buy a ticket on the train and they'll drop you off on the way back down to Skagway where you can get a different perspective and some great pictures that weren't available on the shuttle on the way "up".

Thank you for this info! I am still trying to find the best option, but I really like this one! Where does the train pickup at? I think that would be cool for the ride back.