Aurora Fjords Review

For reference, our 10th cruise, 4th different line, 8th different ship, 2nd time on P & O, previously on Azura.

My favourite ship so far! So much more like a ship than a resort. Beautiful flowing lines and so much SPACE! The weather was good for Norway but not consistently hot so no doubt there would be itineraries where the upper decks would be busier but it seemed like there were limitless places to sit and no queues anywhere. I was travelling with my elderly Mother and she was delighted with the abundance of non lounger deckchairs everywhere (she can't get into a lounger!) The prom deck is actually that, wide and fully encircling the ship.

We ate in the Medina and the Horizon where we enjoyed everything we had but especially liked The Beach House - on this route it meant we could eat while enjoying the scenery and long evenings.

Bar selections good and prices probably those of UK cities.

The entertainment was varied, we loved the classical pianist, Matthew McCombie (what a very civilised activity for an hour in the afternoon!) and the Headliners Theatre Co's "We'll Meet Again" was the best such show we have seen on a ship. Loved the royal sailaway in honour of the Queen's birthday!

Bar staff not quite at Princess level but a big leap ahead of those on Azura.

Fellow passengers very mixed ages, probably mainly middle aged but I (a young 50 something) did not feel it was ever too old, neither did Mum feel it was too young.

Excursion-wise - the best one I did was the Rauma Railway at Andalsnes, expensive but stunning and also enjoyed the Briksdal Glacier hike at Olden.

Embarkation and disembarkation were exceptionally efficient and friendly.

This ship is to become adult only I believe which is probably appropriate - the small children on board were happy enough but think it would be a little "traditional" for teenagers maybe.

If I had to find a gripe - unless you take the "short cut" via the Prom Deck there is a bottleneck on deck 7 of people rushing from venue to venue in the evening. Also I think all other ships I have been on have had a pizza counter which is handy for lunch!

Can't wait to go back on the lovely Aurora....

I have to agree with the above review. We loved this trip on Aurora. It was surprisingly wheelchair/scooter friendly considering how old the ship is. The food and entertainment were very good on the whole and the ship had a friendly atmosphere helped by the droll CapTAIN Neil Turnbull. We certainly were lucky with the weather - we did the Flam railway in 75 degrees. The exceptions were a terrible day in Stavanger and a force 9 gale(storm Hector) on the way home. We certainly will sail on Aurora again as long as they don't spoil her during the refurbishment next year.

Another great cruise on Aurora, daily routine: Breakfast in Medina, Lunch in the Glasshouse or Medina depending on our mood, Pre-Dinner in Andersons, Dinner in Alexandria, 2nd Sitting, Post Dinner in Andersons. Disembarked at all ports. Great dinner companions, table of 8.

Suits us!

Gosh Happy Traveller, had forgotten the captain! He made me laugh every day....

Am I correct in saying that Captain Neil Turnbull is the Captain that announces around noon a humorous ‘Thought For The Day’?:D

Am I correct in saying that Captain Neil Turnbull is the Captain that announces around noon a humorous ‘Thought For The Day’?:D

Hi....I think you are thinking of Robert Camby...his " Thoughts for the Day" are becoming quite legendary

Hi....I think you are thinking of Robert Camby...his " Thoughts for the Day" are becoming quite legendary

Thanks for correcting me, yes Robert Camby sounds familiar but I can't remember which ship we were on at the time.

Amazing how some Captains have a personality that stays with you.

We too were on this wonderful cruise and agree with all the positive comments above. We also enjoyed the Rauma railway having done the Flam Railway on a previous cruise. We would recommend the trip from Stavanger to the flower island - Flor og Fjaere - it is quite simply stunning. Do take the included guided tour by the owners if you go it was very interesting. Sadly the weather was poor but managed to keep reasonably dry on the island although very windy. We also visited the Beach House 3 times and the steak on a stone is fantastic - just a nice change from the Medina restaurant although we thought that the food in there was very good indeed.

I too love Aurora and have recently done a 17 nighter on her, but beware if you are a solo traveller when she goes adult only; they seem to be pricing up all the later 2019 cruises. I was quoted £6200 (!!) for a solo cruise in a balcony cabin for October 2019, and £2600 for one just a couple of days shorter on Ventura the same month. So I booked Ventura, but am still unhappy that I was priced off my favourite ship. For that money I could go 6 star, and am now investigating, as it seems Silversea and others do offer no or very low single supplement on some voyages. I've always been a P and O girl but that one silly quote could lose them a passenger from next year onwards.

How refreshing to read a lovely positive review like this. I have to say, I saw the title and thought, "Oh, here we go, let's slate P&O" time. The review was such a pleasant surprise !

We docked next to Aurora last year when on Oceana and I felt that they were similar in some ways - the sailaway was great fun as we waved to our fellow P&O travellers and what looked like a lovely traditional ship.