"after market" coffee cards

lsok

I am looking to buy a pair of un-punched coffee cards on Ebay. They have a ships name (same as the one I'm sailing) and a stateroom # on the back (obviously NOT my room). Will I run into a problem using these?

Thanks for your help

I just saw this thread. So what's happening to the cards that were actually purchased on a ship that still have punches available? Will they not be honored? I have one that still has 6 punches available and won't be on another Princess cruise until June 2019..

:cool:

Karen

I am looking to buy a pair of un-punched coffee cards on Ebay. They have a ships name (same as the one I'm sailing) and a stateroom # on the back (obviously NOT my room). Will I run into a problem using these?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for reminding me, I have a few spare myself, they are all good for 15 coffees if they have a ships name on the back, and maybe the free brewed coffee if they haven't.

And if they just have a ships name on and no voyage number you might be able to use them on that ship for the free brewed as well, but no guarantee, depends so much on the attitude of the barrista.

Like I have 4 with Pacific Princess on, but no voyage number. Should be OK on that ship for everything.

Yes-- I guess it is a voyage #. Not sure what you mean by "punches" but not coffee or tea?

A card is good for unlimited brewed coffee, hot chocolate, and premium brand tea during the cruise on which it is obtained. In addition, there are 15 punches, each of which is good for a Starbucks type beverage. The punches will expire at the expiration date on the card or Aug 31, 2019 (whichever is sooner). The unlimited brewed coffee, premium tea, and hot chocolate are only available during the cruise in which the card was obtained--thus, the voyage number. You can only get those items during that voyage.

SO, this card, assuming there is no printed expiration date, should be good for 15 Starbucks type drinks. It will not be good for the "unlimited" items.

Thanks for your help

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions 2018 (For cards purchased for voyages prior to June 2018)

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate during the VOYAGE OF PURCHASE.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees as noted on the coffee package card in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Each punch is good for one specialty coffee, regardless of the cost of the specialty coffee.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card. If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019.
  • Unused punches may be used on subsequent voyages unless the card has expired.
  • Free brewed coffee is available only on the voyage of issue.
  • Coffee cards cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Coffee package cards are only valid for use by the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items in cabin.

Terms and Conditions

• Each card must display the date of purchase to be valid.
  • Cards without a date of purchase will have one added at the time of service by a crew member.
  • Cards that have been purchased from secondary sources, other than Princess Cruises, altered, tampered with, photocopied or are expired will be retained by the vessel at their sole discretion and are considered void.
  • Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update the terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • Unused punches have no cash value and are considered forfeit if the card is lost, stolen, irretrievably damaged or expired. The honoring of unused punches on future voyages is allowed up to the expiration date but may be discontinued at any time without notice or recourse.
  • By purchasing a coffee package card, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

To save a few bucks is it really worth it?

Just keep checking ebay. Since the cards are now going to expire at the end of the year because they are going to be loading them onto the seapass card the cards are disappearing.

Is it not August 2019 they are valid until?

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate during the VOYAGE OF PURCHASE.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees as noted on the coffee package card in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Each punch is good for one specialty coffee, regardless of the cost of the specialty coffee.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

• Coffee cards are valid until the expiration date printed on the card. If NO expiration date is printed on the card it is valid until August 31, 2019.
  • Coffee cards cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Coffee package cards are only valid for use by the purchaser.

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.

Terms and Conditions

• Cards without a date of purchase will have one added at the time of service by a crew member.
  • Cards that have been purchased from secondary sources, other than Princess Cruises, altered, tampered with, photocopied or are expired will be retained by the vessel at their sole discretion and are considered void.
  • Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update the terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • Unused punches have no cash value and are considered forfeit if the card is lost, stolen, irretrievably damaged or expired. The honoring of unused punches on future voyages is allowed up to the expiration date but may be discontinued at any time without notice or recourse.
  • By purchasing a coffee package card, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

I have never had a problem with an informally sourced coffee card, and in any case how could anyone even tell where you got it from?

That long passage of legalese sounds like B* to me.

And yes saving say $30 or so on a pair of coffee cards is worth it.

I just saw this thread. So what's happening to the cards that were actually purchased on a ship that still have punches available? Will they not be honored? I have one that still has 6 punches available and won't be on another Princess cruise until June 2019..

:cool:

Karen

You're OK its my understanding they are good until the end of August 2019

I have never had a problem with an informally sourced coffee card, and in any case how could anyone even tell where you got it from?

That long passage of legalese sounds like B* to me.

And yes saving say $30 or so on a pair of coffee cards is worth it.

Actually if a person purchases cards on e-bay prior to their cruise.......they have saved nothing....the only person who has gained is the seller, which most likely did not purchased the cards in the first place.

The cards are truly worthless until a coffee "purchase" is made on the ship.....and then it takes several uses to recoup a purchase price.

Edited by land lover

Actually if a person purchases cards on e-bay prior to their cruise.......they have saved nothing....the only person who has gained is the seller, which most likely did not purchased the cards in the first place.

The cards are truly worthless until a purchase is made.....and then it takes several uses to recoup a purchase price.

If we are going there... worthless would be an understatement;), of little worth might be closer. I can think of a number of uses for a piece of paper of the coffee card size. :p

According to the Princess web site, cards with NO date on them will expire on 8/31/2019. Cards with a date on them will expire on the printed or stamped date.

And it is against Princess policies to accept cards that were re-sold or altered in any way. If they believe you have a card that violates their policies, they will take it and you'll get nothing. Or at least that's what the written policy says.

Is the attempt worth whatever the buyer thinks he will save by engaging in this transaction? Only he can say.

According to the Princess web site' date=' cards with NO date on them will expire on 8/31/2019. Cards with a date on them will expire on the printed or stamped date.

And it is against Princess policies to accept cards that were re-sold or altered in any way. If they believe you have a card that violates their policies, they will take it and you'll get nothing. Or at least that's what the written policy says.

Is the attempt worth whatever the buyer thinks he will save by engaging in this transaction? Only he can say.[/quote']

Not worth it to me but if you can get card for half of what the cost on the ship can see why others will do it.

Just keep checking ebay. Since the cards are now going to expire at the end of the year because they are going to be loading them onto the seapass card the cards are disappearing.

I suspect the number of cards offered on eBay will diminish shortly as people will be dumping their old stock.

It could mean a rise in their selling price, especially for the blank cards.

If you want a coffee card for the unused punches, buying on eBay will save you a few bucks. I see them go as cheap as $20 a card. That saves you $15 a card, but you don't get the complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate with a card that has a previous ship/voyage number. With the new language on the Princess website about the possibility of confiscating cards purchased from a third party, I wonder if it's worth the chance. After all, you're going on a cruise that probably cost a ton of money.

If you want a coffee card for the unused punches, buying on eBay will save you a few bucks. I see them go as cheap as $20 a card. That saves you $15 a card, but you don't get the complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate with a card that has a previous ship/voyage number. With the new language on the Princess website about the possibility of confiscating cards purchased from a third party, I wonder if it's worth the chance. After all, you're going on a cruise that probably cost a ton of money.

So how would Princess know how you came by the card?

Look for previous passengers fingerprints on it?.

DNA testing?

Throw you in the brig until you squealed?

Princess reads Cruise Critic. They know about third party sales.

I had a card that we got from turning in our mini bar setup . When I went to use it at coffee bar for the first time on that voyage, nasty guy behind the counter accused me of buying it on Ebay. I was so mad.

I think the third party sales had a lot to do with Princess' new coffee card policy (always same policy but now more diligent and expiration dates).

And soon no cards at all, just an indication on your account that you bought card.

So thank you all you people that made a few bucks on Ebay, you did us in.

What is Included

Terms and Conditions

I totally agree with you when you ask, "To save a few bucks is it really worth it?. Frankly I find it mind boggling that this is being done.

Princess reads Cruise Critic. They know about third party sales.

I had a card that we got from turning in our mini bar setup . When I went to use it at coffee bar for the first time on that voyage, nasty guy behind the counter accused me of buying it on Ebay. I was so mad.

I think the third party sales had a lot to do with Princess' new coffee card policy (always same policy but now more diligent and expiration dates).

And soon no cards at all, just an indication on your account that you bought card.

So thank you all you people that made a few bucks on Ebay, you did us in.

Ebay did not do this nor did you get accused of buying one on ebay, scare tactics, really! Paperless is why Princess went this route because of Ocean Medallion which coincides with the dates of the cards expiration. It is extra money for Princess to keep the extra punches you don't use instead of carrying them over. If you add up the number of cards sold on ebay it is maybe 6 or 7 not worth while for a company to change their policy for that reason alone. We are becoming a digital, cashless society and that's all there is to it.

I went to make a payment on my Citibank Visa because I charged a cruise deposit on it. The bank told me after this month they no longer accept cash! I need to open a checking account and deposit the cash into that and transfer the money to my credit card for payment. I do not have a checking account with Citibank so no longer will I be able to use cash with them.

Paperless is why Princess went this route because of Ocean Medallion which coincides with the dates of the cards expiration. It is extra money for Princess to keep the extra punches you don't use instead of carrying them over. If you add up the number of cards sold on ebay it is maybe 6 or 7 not worth while for a company to change their policy for that reason alone. We are becoming a digital, cashless society and that's all there is to it.

And the truth of technology will set you free.