Marella discovery

Hi

I keep adding questions, but not quiet on the right board.

So ill try again

This is our first cruise and we sail in two weeks and although i am excited i am also anxious about the finer details .

Where do we if at all, get luggage labels from and what is the protocol at Newcastle port . Will we need to drop our case off before parking .... we are booked into the port car park.

Does anyone know what the entertainment is on this ship .

I have looked but it appears i get generic answers from Thomson site.

simple questions but would like some idea of what to expect so my holiday can commence in good spirits ;p hubby says not to fret mmmmm :eek:

and finally i have manged to locate a few people who are also on this ship

but not many ....... The marella discovery sailing from Newcastle on 7th July

for the Fire and Ice cruise .... other ships have Roll calls ect

Luggage labels are given out by reps at port so don't worry about that. Attach labels and your cases are then taken away so you don't have to hump then around and you will find them outside your cabin later in the day. Normally there are two simple forms to complete, a health form and how are you getting home at end of cruise form. Get there early (before noon) as the queue soon builds up. In May this year you were given a numbered ticket to ensure first come first served, listen for the announcements then its check-in, need passports and credit or debit card unless you are paying any on board spend in cash. After that it's the photographers (optional) and to the ship and airport style security but you can take bottles on ok. Entertainment on ship changes every night. Enjoy the cruise

Thanks for that BLine. The luggage question is one of my concerns too but has been answered elsewhere and I have got round to thinking -we will be there and someone will sort it!

We are used to having our luggage labels posted to our home.

I am presuming that we can carry one small case on with us after handing main luggage over - would that be right?

We are on a coach and have read that after the luggage procedures we get back on the coach to be taken to embarkation. It all seems a bit odd but I am sure it works.:)

We arrived by coach at Newcastle at 2.15pm 2 weeks ago, and boarding was' organised' by being given a number and waiting to join the check-in queue. As has been said before, getting on a bus after check-in, to drive 100yds, then walk to ship is somewhat weird. Took nearly 2 hoursof waiting from arrival before we boarded. Ship sailed late,mainly due to provisions being loaded and luggage arrived at cabin after evening meal - enough said.

Arrived back to Newcastle today from Norway on Discovery. The ship and staff are great, shows are excellent and varied. On our 13 day cruise there were 2 comedians, and a guest speaker. The entertainment was - a solo sax player who was excellent, as was the guy who played guitar and sang reasonably uptodate pop. The 2 groups were loud and not my cup of tea, but seemed to be well supported by others..Our cruise was disrupted by bad weather so we missed 3 scheduled ports including the North Cape, but had rescheduled ports substituted which were OK, and one day at sea was replaced by an extra port.

Had an inside cabin midships on deck 2 which was fine.

Evening dining in Gallery 47, is a 2 hour job, and breakfast also slowish, but food OK We dined 50/50 in the Gallery 47 and the 'Islands' self service. If you have a large appetite, Islands is the place to dine, and choice was wide and varied.

Thanks for those reply's .

its great to find out a little before we go and peoples experiences and tips are always welcome

so excited now, like a child ...... but this as been on my bucket list for many years .

just hope i get to see some whales on the whale watching excursion .

The entertainment is brilliant really good showteam, just wished there had been a sebby mercury show on our week, but the team were busy learning a brand new show, back onboard in sept and just booked the discovery for april next year too