International flight in many years

Cruiseoholic000

As far as passport control goes:

- You clear passport control on entry into Europe. Amsterdam in your case. Checked baggage is automatically transferred. Given you have a US passport, for most people they will stamp it and welcome you to Europe.

- When you leave Europe (Amsterdam) in they will find the entry stamp in your passport and next to it put an exit stamp. Also fairly painless.

For the sake of others who may read this thread this is not correct.

Where you clear border control versus customs and your destination upon arrival depends on whether you are arriving/connecting through the Schengen Area. Not all European countries are in the Schengen Area.

For example if you were to connect through LHR you would not clear immigration as the UK is not part of the Schengen Area. As the Netherlands and Switzerland are part of the Schengen Area then your advice is correct.

Additionally the TSA do not check passports, they just want to see valid ID for travellers, although you can clear security in the US without valid ID in some circumstances. The airlines check passports at the gate to ensure that traveller has correct documentation to enter their destination country.

Interesting. I put Mrs FT's GE application fee on my Plat and it got credited without a blink of an eye. FWIW, the application was a few weeks after mine.

YMMV

No that is really interesting. We got our GE about 3 1/2 years ago and both were charged on my Platinum. I only received a $100 credit. If they have changed their policy that is a good thing because we will have to renew our GE in the next couple of years. To be honest, we don't have a Platinum card because of GE...but it is one more little benefit.

Hank

No one suggested that the OP should get GE, nor did anyone suggest that she should get any particular credit card simply to cover the cost of GE.

Based on how her post was worded, some questioned whether she actually had GE or not, but no one suggested that she needed to get it if she didn't. Subsequently after the cost was mentioned, someone mentioned that if you happen to have certain CC's they cover the cost, but no one said anyone should go out and get one of these credit cards solely for this benefit. A lot of people have such cards though, and don't realize this is a benefit of the card. I've informed several friends of this benefit; they had an Amex platinum already and were considering getting GE and had no idea the cost was a non-issue due to the card.

The reason I suggested not going Global Entry is the original poster said she was in the process of signing up for it.

It is interesting Amex bundles that in. I have the Canadian AMEX Platinum and it is not one of the features offered this side of the boarder. Though for Canada, Nexus would be the equivalent program as it also includes Global Entry plus expedited Canadian processing.

For the sake of others who may read this thread this is not correct.

Where you clear border control versus customs and your destination upon arrival depends on whether you are arriving/connecting through the Schengen Area. Not all European countries are in the Schengen Area.

For example if you were to connect through LHR you would not clear immigration as the UK is not part of the Schengen Area. As the Netherlands and Switzerland are part of the Schengen Area then your advice is correct.

Additionally the TSA do not check passports, they just want to see valid ID for travellers, although you can clear security in the US without valid ID in some circumstances. The airlines check passports at the gate to ensure that traveller has correct documentation to enter their destination country.

Probably others but Turkey and the UK are the two exceptions that come to mine.

As for the TSA check. Several years ago I gave up on showing them a drivers license. At the time I lived in Saskatchewan and have a two piece license. They agents responded quite negatively to that. Would hate to see how they respond to a national identify card in a language they are not familar with. At least a passport is required to be in French and for most countries also has English or another language.

In Canada the airline staff have to check the boarding pass against government photo ID when boarding the aircraft, if domestic it does not have to be a passport if internatioanl it has to be a passport or another travel document valid for immigration at the other end. Several other contries have simlar rules.