The refurbishment of Summit in 2019, and two other M- and S-Class Ships

jakob71

LastDecember our family booked two staterooms for a Caribbean sailing with Summitin March 23., 2019. When checking the X-website last month the itinerary forSummit’s sailings between January 29. and March 29., 2019 is no longerlisted!

RCCL/Celebrity’sbranch office for the Nordic countries explained that our sailing is closed formaintenance. It was not possible to receive further comments, stating that theinformation was classified, and if we wanted to change our sailing date, we hadto pay a cancellation fee.

Accordingto the Celebrity Summit Fact Sheet it is stated that the next renovation willstart January 29., 2019.

Whenwill the passengers who have booked a sailing during Summit’s dry dock nextyear be notified so we can book another sailing without a cancellation fee?

Inaddition we think we should receive a compensation for the problems Celebritycreates for us.

Weare not pleased with the way the Nordic Branch Office has handled the inquiriesregarding our sailing March 23., 2019!

(FactSheets for Millennium and Equinox shows that Equinox next refurbishment willstart April 23., 2019 and Millennium’s refurbishment will start May 1., 2019.On the X-website you can still book sailings around the refurbishment dates forthese ships! You can also see the refurbishment dates on the Fact Sheet forother X-ships for the years to come after 2019).

http://www.celebritycorporatekit.com/content/uploads/2017/08/Summit_Fact_Sheet.pdf

LastDecember our family booked two staterooms for a Caribbean sailing with Summitin March 23., 2019. When checking the X-website last month the itinerary forSummit’s sailings between January 29. and March 29., 2019 is no longerlisted!

RCCL/Celebrity’sbranch office for the Nordic countries explained that our sailing is closed formaintenance. It was not possible to receive further comments, stating that theinformation was classified, and if we wanted to change our sailing date, we hadto pay a cancellation fee.

Accordingto the Celebrity Summit Fact Sheet it is stated that the next renovation willstart January 29., 2019.

Whenwill the passengers who have booked a sailing during Summit’s dry dock nextyear be notified so we can book another sailing without a cancellation fee?

Inaddition we think we should receive a compensation for the problems Celebritycreates for us.

Weare not pleased with the way the Nordic Branch Office has handled the inquiriesregarding our sailing March 23., 2019!

(FactSheets for Millennium and Equinox shows that Equinox next refurbishment willstart April 23., 2019 and Millennium’s refurbishment will start May 1., 2019.On the X-website you can still book sailings around the refurbishment dates forthese ships! You can also see the refurbishment dates on the Fact Sheet forother X-ships for the years to come after 2019).

http://www.celebritycorporatekit.com/content/uploads/2017/08/Summit_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Don't rely on these dates. The Millie is going in earlier in 2019.

If Celebrity cancel your sailing you will be offered alternative dates on which they will honour your existing price and any extras. If you don't like any of these you can get your deposit back. The only compensation offered is $200 OBC if you take an alternative cruise.

I don't want to hijack your thread and am very sorry if they do end up cancelling your cruise @jakob71. Seems like they could have scheduled much more in advance..

But does anyone have any inclination about what they will be doing? Edgeifaction?

I don't want to hijack your thread and am very sorry if they do end up cancelling your cruise @jakob71. Seems like they could have scheduled much more in advance..

But does anyone have any inclination about what they will be doing? Edgeifaction?

Yes. It’s the “Celebrity Revolution” updates. https://www.talkingcruise.com/2017/10/05/celebrity-cruises-plans-400-million-fleetwide-modernization/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. It’s the “Celebrity Revolution” updates. https://www.talkingcruise.com/2017/10/05/celebrity-cruises-plans-400-million-fleetwide-modernization/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks I figured.. had read about it in the fall just seems weird they opened the itin's considering that. Looking forward to the retreat. May consider booking a summit Bermuda (our old standby) when we are on silly in 2 weeks, if those upgrades occur..

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for the link! Sounds like they are giving the Summit the renovation it really needs. Can't wait to see it when it's done. One question I have is that the cabin classes are listed out that they're completely tearing down and building back up: Aqua Class, Ocean View and Inside cabins. But what about Concierge Class? Is that what they now call "Signature Staterooms"?

Celebrity treats their customers better than the cruise line we were suppose to cruise with this year. We were given one cruise to change to and no break on the price (Newest cruise ship in their fleet so double the price). No transfer of all the perks we originally booked with to the new cruise, no incentive at all. I doubt anyone fell for that offer. Who would want to pay double what we originally booked and we had to go down to an inside from an oceanview since they were all booked.

We asked for our deposit back and are cruising with Celebrity instead.

I had a cruise for January 2017 booked out to a big cruise ship. Our group ended up on the Equinox, Western caribbean. Our roll call group knew long before we were contacted. Travel agents did not know. Celebrity customer service could not tell us. We had paid for an 11 day cruise so we were offered basically one option or we could cancel with no penalty. If we changed to a different cruise we paid the current cost. We had booked when it opened so we would have paid a lot more. Very frustrating. At least we were rebooked as soon as they announced the change. I hope you get notified soon but they may be slow. Be open to the new cruise. We had a great time.

• 3 months later...

We are on the first sailing after the refurb on March 25, sailing out of San Juan. It is 5 nights going to St. Croix, St. Kitts and Antigua. The price was fabulous and we got a Concierge Class balcony for only $5 more than the regulat balcony. I know it was a crap shoot - things may not be running all that smoothly, but it was a risk we are willin to take.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for the link! Sounds like they are giving the Summit the renovation it really needs. Can't wait to see it when it's done. One question I have is that the cabin classes are listed out that they're completely tearing down and building back up: Aqua Class, Ocean View and Inside cabins. But what about Concierge Class? Is that what they now call "Signature Staterooms"?

I was wondering the same. We booked a concierge room for July.

• 2 months later...

Do we have any updates on WHAT is being done on the Summit in dry dock?

Is BLU going away?

To choose a stateroom now-- how will we know if they are being reclassified into infinity balconies?

We do NOT want that as the ability to use the balcony while the other person is sleeping isn't possible... we use our balcony a lot

Looking at sailings in 2020 and in large part the staterooms are blocked... I have a hard time believing they are all booked out already.... 

You might want to take a look at this thread.

They installed one IV cabin on Constellation when she was in dry dock in May 2017 as a beta test before the Edge was finalized.   It’s classified as a C3 - room 7197.   My understanding is the deckplans on Celebrity Site identify it as a IV.   It is a good read on what you might expect.

10 minutes ago, HardyVA said:

I certainly would not want an Infinity balcony.  I booked a veranda stateroom on Deck 7 on Summit to Bermuda in May.  How can I find out if they've changed it to an IV?  

I've not seen any way to find out which cabins will be "upgraded to the IV".    I doubt that anyone at Celebrity Customer Service would have a clue.   Your first indication may be once Millennium is completed.   Keep us posted if you find out anything. 

We are booked on the Millennium on March 2 right after the revolution.  I was told that the balcony rooms are not being changed to 'IV'.   The structure of the boat does not allow for this type of change so they will remain as traditional balcony. The interiors of the cabins will be refurbished and upgraded to have the same look/style as the Edge.

Lourdes

• Like 1

The superstructure of Edge with the infinity balconies is totaly different. You definitely can not change a ship with traditional balconies to this. One cabin as a trail as done on Constellation was a different story. All updates will be focused on the interior of the cabins and I hope they do this in a good way. So  far at least Royal Caribbean updated their ship only with more (pay extra) restaurants, water slides, yellow balls and similar nonsense but unfortunately kept the old-fashioned cabins more or less unchanged.