Suite Help please?

DaisyUK

Hi, am considering an Explorer cruise this summer. Most recently, we have cruised exclusively with Crystal and love it, but our dates are somewhat inflexible and Crystal does not have an itinerary which interests us during these dates. There is availability for Master, Grand and Explorer suites. Any comparisons/advice as to pros and cons would be great.

Welcome to the Regent board!

We have stayed in both a Master and Grand Suite and have toured the Explorer Suite. Our favorite by far was the Master Suite - not just because it was a Master Suite but because of the location (aft). While we typically do not like aft suites, after feeling the "motion of the ocean" a bit too much in suite 1200 (Grand Suite) and feeling that the furniture was too large for the small living room space, we found the Master Suite quite comfortable and the "ride" much smoother.

If you are interested in a large deck, both the Master and forward Grand Suites work but, balconies in the front of the ship are not usable a lost of the time due to the wind.

Explorer Suites are a bit confusing as they were Seven Seas Suites when the ship launched and became Explorer Suites a few months later. They are beautiful suites with smaller balconies (smaller than the Master and forward Grand Suites but not small when it compare them to other ships). Perhaps someone else can give you more specific information on the Explorer Suite.

The Explorer is a gorgeous ship - our favorite in the fleet. If you decide to try Regent, you will likely have an enjoyable cruise.

Many thanks for your response and opinion which confirms what we had suspected, particularly concerning the balcony on the forward Grand Suite. It will be interesting to try the Explorer. Our very first cruise was with Regent (Mariner) and it was not a particularly positive experience, but was several years ago. We have heard some good reports about Explorer.

We were in the Grand Suite, we had one in the back of the ship. Nice balcony, we liked the suite except the large useless chair in the living room (don't even try to sit in it). The bath was very nice. We enjoyed the sofa, nice size for a cocktail party. The location was nice also for most of the areas of the ship (except theater). Over all we enjoyed the suite and would book it again. Rick

Did Transatlantic last fall.

We had the Explorer suite 918. Mid ship. Not under pool. Balcony was very big and comfortable. 1 1/2 baths. Loved the suite.

Good to hear you liked 918. We are booked in it for the Capetown to Capetown cruise over the holidays in December.

Did Transatlantic last fall.

We had the Explorer suite 918. Mid ship. Not under pool. Balcony was very big and comfortable. 1 1/2 baths. Loved the suite.

Your Explorer suite was a former Seven Seas suite. Based on our tour of the ship, the Seven Seas suites that became Explorer suites are lovely!

Thanks again for all the info. One more question, which I know is very subjective.. what, if any, are the major differences between Regent and Crystal. I already (think I) know that enrichment is probably better on Crystal. Ditto the food (maybe?) and that the entertainment is likely to be of a similar standard on both lines. The accommodations are probably going to be better on the Explorer. Is there anything else that stands out and which I should be aware of before biting on the bullet?

Having taken the 2016 world cruise on Crystal Serenity, and having almost 200 nights on Regent (including a B2B with a TA crossing on Explorer this past Nov/Dec), I can address the comparison between the two lines. The major differences are the cabin sizes at the level I sail (generally, the basic balcony cabins, though I was in a Concierge Suite on Explorer) and the dining situation. I realize that you are going for a higher level cabin on Regent, but I have no experience of those on either line, so will just address the more basic cabins.

I realize that recent changes at Crystal (at least to the Symphony) may bring a flattening of those differences, though I suspect from what I've seen of the maitre d' operations at both that it will take Crystal a while to adjust to the flow and mindset needed to make open seating work. Regent does seem to have that largely nailed.

Other areas of comparison:

1. Food. Both provide good quality, with some consistency issues on both. I do think that the food in the main dining room on Regent is better than Crystal's, particularly with its new menu structure. I'd give the edge on specialty restaurants to Crystal. On Explorer, I enjoyed Chartreuse (I never liked Signatures on the other ships). On Crystal, I enjoyed Tastes. Neither has an equivalent on the other. I found Silk Road on Crystal slightly better than Pacific Rim on Regent, though both are excellent. I haven't tried Silk Road since the recent changes to it. I found the Italian restaurant on Crystal to be significantly better than the one on Regent, though I know people who rave about Regent's. Goes to show how much food is a matter of personal taste. The breakfast and lunch buffets are pretty comparable on both.

2. Service. Top-notch on both.

3. Alcohol. Comparable selections both in the bar and in the room.

4. Public spaces. Crystal's ships are larger and thus have more spaces to offer. But I find I prefer the intimacy of Regent's ships.

5. Cabins. Regent, hands down, for size and layout. Walk-in closet, rather than the awkward closet next to the bed. Bigger cabin with more comfortable furniture. There is more drawer space on Crystal (other than Explorer, which has plenty of drawer space), but more closet space on Regent. I like the double sinks on Crystal, but prefer having the walk-in shower on Regent to Crystal's bath/tub combos. Again, these comparisons are of cabins at a more basic level than those you are considering.

6. Lectures. Crystal has more, and generally of better quality, though I wish they'd make a better effort to relate the lectures to where the ship is sailing. Many topics seem random. But if Regent has Terry Breen on, it's going to win on lectures.

7. Activities. Because most of my Crystal experience was on a world cruise, I may have a distorted view of the offerings. But based on that, I'd say that Crystal offered more activities on sea days than does Regent, though Regent offers more onboard during port days. There's no movie theater on Regent, so on the few days when movies are offered, they are in the show lounge. Regent doesn't have the tech classes, but does offer its culinary institute on Explorer, which Crystal does not have.

8. Entertainment. I enjoy watching and getting to know the entertainers on both. The set shows are similar on both, as are the headliner shows. With more venues, Crystal offers more variety.

9. Cost. It depends on the cruise, but both seem to be in the same neighborhood on a net cost basis. However, if you're sailing solo, the fact that Crystal often offers a 20-30% single supplement, as opposed to Regent's 100%, gives it a substantial edge on cost.

10. Excursions. It has struck me that Crystal is at its weakest when getting you off the ship at port, as well as once you leave the ship. Regent's excursions tend to be better structured and less likely to waste time with shopping "opportunities." The lengthier excursions also include free time in the destination, which I enjoy. What I like about both ships' excursions is that they tend not to over-crowd them (with some notable exceptions on both). Guides on both can be hit-or-miss. Of course, many excursions on Regent are included. Honestly, I wish they hadn't gone that route, since I do like to make my own arrangements in many places, but having already paid for the excursion, I am more likely to take theirs,

11. Communication. Here is Crystal's weakest link. I've seen countless breakdowns in communication, both with passengers and between crew, with chaos resulting. This problem is rarer Regent.

12. Docking position. If there's a port that has both docking and tendering, it seems that Crystal generally will be tendering and Regent generally will be docked. If it's between docking close-in to the destination, it seems that Crystal will be way out of town, while Regent will be in the better spot close-in. I expect it has to do with two things. One, the Regent ships are smaller and thus able to get into places that the larger Crystal ships cannot. Two, with its current ownership that gives it a relationship to NCL, Regent may have greater market/bargaining power than a line with just two ships.

13. Other. Regent does not have gentleman hosts anymore. It also got rid of the onboard photographers.

There are other more subtle differences as well. But overall, you're going to have a great experience on either.

Thank you wishIwere travelling for your very comprehensive response. And to everyone else who helped us to reach a decision, including many old posts. Cruise Critic is the best! We have taken the plunge and booked, so it will be an interesting experience for us which I am sure we will enjoy enormously.

Thank you wishIwere travelling for your very comprehensive response. And to everyone else who helped us to reach a decision, including many old posts. Cruise Critic is the best! We have taken the plunge and booked, so it will be an interesting experience for us which I am sure we will enjoy enormously.

Great! Which itinerary and suite did you choose?

BTW- Crystal, kudos to you for your detailed comparasions above.

Sheila

Great! Which itinerary and suite did you choose?

BTW- Crystal, kudos to you for your detailed comparasions above.

Sheila

We chose a Baltic itinerary and a master suite.. fingers crossed for some good weather, as it is late August so by no means a sure thing!

Just got off the explorer and had grand suite 1201. We had four sea days of the ten day cruise and i'd say nine of the days the front deck was usable. In fact we had two parties in our room, using the outdoor space, while at sea and had zero issues with wind on the balcony.

The crew does take in the seat cushions at night, if not in use. They also will strap down furniture if the seas are expected to be rough.

We were very nervous about the usability of the front deck, and were happily surprised with how usable it was out at sea.

Just got off the explorer and had grand suite 1201. We had four sea days of the ten day cruise and i'd say nine of the days the front deck was usable. In fact we had two parties in our room, using the outdoor space, while at sea and had zero issues with wind on the balcony.

The crew does take in the seat cushions at night, if not in use. They also will strap down furniture if the seas are expected to be rough.

We were very nervous about the usability of the front deck, and were happily surprised with how usable it was out at sea.

Not sure what your itinerary was but ours was a transatlantic cruise in 1200 and we were not able to utilize the balcony at all. Had we been able to utilize the deck, a party would have been fine. However, since we could not (our guests did go outside for a minute - long enough to know that it was not a viable option for a party), we were stuck with 8 people inside with not enough room to sit. I would not recommend Grand Suites 1200, 1201 or the Grand Suites aft.

The former Explorer suites that are now Grand Suites are better but pay close attention to what is above you. This is the reason why we did not book those suites.

We are booked for a 2020 Miami to LA cruise on Explorer in a Grand Suite. AFT. 784 in fact which is the suite (I think) that RonRick had - with the ghastly chair!!) The terrace looks fabulous and there should be no problem with wind stopping us from using it since it is aft not forward. it is on the deck under the Master Suite. And since we are only two people, one bedroom will do us just fine.

If anyone else has had this suite, please comment. And RonRick - can you send me photos if I send you my email?

Thanks

Gerry

We are booked for a 2020 Miami to LA cruise on Explorer in a Grand Suite. AFT. 784 in fact which is the suite (I think) that RonRick had - with the ghastly chair!!) The terrace looks fabulous and there should be no problem with wind stopping us from using it since it is aft not forward. it is on the deck under the Master Suite. And since we are only two people, one bedroom will do us just fine.

If anyone else has had this suite, please comment. And RonRick - can you send me photos if I send you my email?

Thanks

Gerry

Two things ..... we do know someone that had an Aft Grand Suite and that "ghastly chair" is there as well.

Second, as you have noticed or read on CC, "our" 2020 cruises on Explorer are no longer taking reservations and are showing "wait-listed" which is unlikely true. Something is going on so we may or may not be doing those itineraries.

Two things ..... we do know someone that had an Aft Grand Suite and that "ghastly chair" is there as well.

Second, as you have noticed or read on CC, "our" 2020 cruises on Explorer are no longer taking reservations and are showing "wait-listed" which is unlikely true. Something is going on so we may or may not be doing those itineraries.

Don't know if you saw, sent you a private email.

Sheila

Don't know if you saw, sent you a private email.

Sheila

Sheila, Jackie. - I just saw your posts and yes I had seen that both cruises were W/L. And wondered what this meant? Now I am concerned they might be cancelled or the itinerary changed. Any ideas??

Gerry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been looking for a possible substitute. Any suggestions???

Sheila

I was in touch with my TA over the weekend. She says to wait and see what Regent is doing...added that speculation won't be much use! And she is right.

As for another idea...I have thought and thought but we want to do the Panama Canal again - AND in 784 and no other though if they "swopped" the Mariner onto the same itinerary we would not mind the SS Aft suite...have had it before. Ken suggested Oceania but they do the Canal with one of the R ships and their suites aren't great and I hate the way they are decorated! It is particularly frustrating because we were on Explorer' identical itinerary for 19 and moved to 20 so we could be sure to have the Aft Grand suite...and now might not get it at all!

So - wait and see I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Forums