Hotel in Southampton UK

10ormore

If you search on here a bit there will be plenty of suggestions. I like Jury's Inn. It is a relatively new building. They have a decent dining room. Breakfast buffet isn't overpriced. AND if you only want toast and juice, you can have it for a nice low price. Some of their upper floor rooms you can see the harbor to see your ship come in or sitting there when you get up.

First thing to know, the town center of Southampton is pretty small. I've walked from the waterside to the Inn a bunch of times. You can walk to the West Quay Mall. Of course I like to walk.

Taxis are readily available. Let the Inn call you one to get to the ship, or to go out at other times. You might want to be ready ahead of when you plan to leave if there are several ships sailing and the hotel is full of cruise passengers.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for a couple of nights this past summer. It's a 3 star hotel very close to the water. The rooms are fairly good size and you can request one with a harbor view. The buffet breakfast is very nice. Friendly staff. Lots of cruise passengers stay there. It is a block from High Street which goes up to the huge West Quay Mall and very close to the piers. Taxis are easy to arrange through the hotel.

The De Vere, not far from the Holiday Inn, is probably the "nicest" of the hotels, the public rooms are good and so is the food. BUT, the rooms are a great disappointment, and frankly not worth the cost, being small and cramped and rather a surprise after the relative glitz of the public rooms downstairs. I'd vote for Jury's too, or the Holiday Inn, as others have suggested.

Hi, we stayed at the Hilton in May 2009. We really liked it. The hotel is surrounded by lots of trees and seems very peaceful. The rooms were an okay size and clean..the bathroom nice. We opted for breakfast included in our deal and were pleased with the buffet. Has a small pool and sauna as well as a nice lounge to enjoy. It is not as close to town as the others(Jurys, Holiday Inn and Devere) but we took the bus (Day Pass was, I think, 2-3 pounds) for a nice trip into town. When it was time to get to the QM2 we had the concierge call a taxi and they arrived promptly. They were used to tourists coming/going from the hotel to the cruises so they took us exactly where we needed to go. Hope this helps! Have a nice time.

I happened upon the http://www.superbreak.com website which claims to book hotels in Britain at good prices. I will be in Soton January 2 and 3 prior to the joining the WB TA on the QV on the 4th. Superbreak booked me into the Novotel for 67 pounds for the the two nights with full breakfasts. I have never stayed at the novotel in Soton but posters here seem to like it and that rate would be hard to beat!

Accor Hotels on http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/united-kingdom/index.shtml run Novotel, Etap and Ibis which are all budget hotels. I have stayed in them across France and they were fine. These 3 are close to each other just opposite the Dock Gate. I think prices range from £37 to £74 per night. Not luxury but clean and basic.

Hi

Try http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk ( or http://www.tripadvisor.com if you want a price in dollars) for " unbiaised" reviews of hotels in Southampton. The site also gives details of location, sometimes has photos and gives an indication of price. You should see reviews of most of the hotels recommended on this thread.

There is a facility on the site to check rates. But I have found that it often pays to book directly with the hotel as they sometimes have good deals.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

I was comped by Cunard with parking at Hilton Hotel, it included B & B and up 14 days parking plus transfers each way which really worked well, apart from my "weetabix" bed. Speaking to a lady who had paid for the package I had and I am sure she said it was £80 which I thought was very good. Agree about meals being expensive.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions...helps to have real input! Anyone know if there is luggage-storage service available in Southampton (Cunard or other)? We've been thinking about taking the QM TA back to NY if the one-way Business Air is running outrageously high by May/June. In that case, we'd want to leave most of our luggage and travel around the 5 days till resailing.:)

Appreciate any thoughts!

Please if anybody has a chance please visit Portsmouth which is next door to Southampton but ten times the history. A long promenade with many historical references. (HENRY VIII s forts) The Marie Rose raised in 1982 which was Henry VIII s flagship which sank just of Portsmouth and is an museum in Portsmouth but this year is closed to product protection. There is also Englands iconic ship to visit HMS Victory of Trafalgar fame and worth the entrance money alone. if youve a chance get to the funfair at Clarence pier Southsea and take the hovercraft to the Isle of Wight and back.....great fun.

Also on Southsea Promenade (Portsmouth) they have a great museum dedicated to the D-Day landings...well worth a visit.

Fred & Sian.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions...helps to have real input! Anyone know if there is luggage-storage service available in Southampton (Cunard or other)? We've been thinking about taking the QM TA back to NY if the one-way Business Air is running outrageously high by May/June. In that case, we'd want to leave most of our luggage and travel around the 5 days till resailing.:)

Appreciate any thoughts!

If you are sailing back, leave your luggage with the Port Agent. Advise the Purser's once on board, and they will take care of details--cost is about £55-60. Basically, you get special tags for the suitcase, which you collect on arrival in Southampton with the rest of your luggage and take through customs, then leave with the Cunard agent (ask the staff for the desk). The next time you see your luggage will be in your cabin for the return sailing. I've done it and it works great!

I stayed there recently, and was very pleased with my choice.

Even tho it's not right in town, it's in a very nice area with a bus stop up the drive. Just make sure you flag down the driver!

Loved the quiet of the surroundings. Made me think of my friends place in Manchester.

I'd stay there again!

With a slightly better football team;)

But only just.

Had some great times at Calshot on school weekends...sea canoeing to the Isle of Wight... sailing across the Hamble... cycling at the Velodrome.

Also Calshots historic connection with sea and air.

Fred & Sian.

Archived