What is appropriate during the day time

1FoxyFlightFan

The Cunard section of CruiseCritic is here but I can offer some insight. I'm mostly a once-a-year passenger on the Queen Mary 2 but I can compare it to a couple of trips on Princess and Carnival

It's fairly relaxed during the day on Cunard ship. As mentioned, depending on the weather people will wear shorts and t-shirts or jeans and sweatshirts. Nominally you're expected to wear long trousers in the dining room for any meal, but if the weather is appropriate for shorts people do wear shorts and breakfast or lunch without any incidents. Swimwear isn't appropriate in the dining room but is acceptable for breakfast and lunch in the buffet.

I think there's a tendency toward what you might call "resort wear"-- khakis and polos as opposed to blue jeans and sleeveless shirts on men.

"Dress for the weather" is the best advice. But note that the QM2 is very well air conditioned so if moving from an outdoor to an indoor daytime activity you may want to change into more substantial attire, not out of decorum but literally to keep your teeth from chattering.

...and I'm almost disappointed to see that our friendly hosts moved this thread from the Ask A Cruise Question board to here. I was eagerly waiting to counter the sure to come posts from the anti-Cunard crowd that "my favorite upscale ship has done away with formal attire blah blah blah". True but on some of those ships you are expected to be in "country club" attire every moment you are out of your cabin: anything less than linen slacks and a silk shirt at the breakfast buffet is looked askance at. Far better to appropriately vary one's dress to the time and venue; your instinct will be your best guide even on your first QM2 voyage.

During the day, you’ll probably find yourself most comfortable in stylish casual wear, including shorts and smart jeans.

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Swimwear isn't appropriate in the dining room but is acceptable for breakfast and lunch in the buffet.

I don't think swimwear is acceptable anywhere inside the ship and I've never seen women just in swimming costumes or men in swimming trunks inside.

American's have a puritanical streak. The thought of European men in the buffet line wearing "banana hammocks" is horrifying! OMG. I can't get the vision out of my mind:)

Edited by orvil

i bring dress/causal clothes. I DO NOT bring cut offs /monster truck race t shirts or ripped jeans. i do bring nice jeans if i am going on an active excursion. no swim wear eating inside please.....use board walk cafe ! i do not like wearing a tux but a suit is okay with me.......i stay away from areas if i am not dressed for it out of respect for others. kings court is well attended at evening ....no tux,no tie just nice clothes. there will be a few that make you wonder :eek:DO THEY DRESS LIKE THAT AT HOME ? that is some of the people watching fun;)

we did our first (west) crossing in June

we wore shorts to the main dining room for breakfast and lunch several times

we were not alone

no one said a thing

so far as bath cover ups ......

on our June crossing is was COLD with howling wind every day!!!! Only the few who found the covered pool needed to be concerned. I say few cuz WE were there the first couple of days and it was never crowded. Seldom more than 30 people sitting around the pool and I am SURE they were not at the outside pool with 40 knot plus winds and cold temps . . . .

We later found the Commodore Lounge was a very quiet place to sit and read during the day

That's what we saw most folks doing during the day

. . . . sit and read

or ...... read ... then sit .....

or just all sit . . . .

Having read numerous postings about formality of attire I was surprised at how undressed up most people were especially during the daytime on out eastound TA in August. I took nice tea dresses for afternoon tea and having seen everyone in t shirts and shorts (and often not the nice knee length khaki's and we'll cut stylish t shirt or pool shirt). Similarly on I formal evenings I felt over dressed in cocktail dresses. We're on the QM2 for the Christmas / NY caribbean cruise and I'll be taking more casual wear (maxi dresses rather than evening gowns). Husband and son are still taking tuxes and ibwill get my mum to go to MDR on formal evenings (she'd noreally only do one or two on an 18 day voyage whereas I'd dress for dinner every evening if I could).

Not to worry, Foxy. Internet posts from all directions can drive you crazy, offering much conflicting information. I've noticed on QM2, day-dress, these days, has become noticeably not too dress-up dressy. Just pleasantly clean and casual. Nothing too "outfitty'." While "resort wear" is always appropriate and perhaps best, but seen on less than half the load, dress as if it is Sunday and you're calling on the Vicar, or going to the Mall knowing you'll run into your best girlfriend. You'll be fine. :o

Just obtain a copy of the Cunard Grills brochure and follow the dress of those appearing in the promotions and you will be fine. Anything less is downsizing the experience for the rest of us.

Lordy, now I'm nervous. We leave in a couple of weeks and my daytime wardrobe may be too casual (unless the vicar also wears nice jeans). Where is this brochure you speak of? - I can't find examples of day wear on the website.

Please note you are not supposed to follow the dress code of the immigrants depicted as these have been phased out.

Regards John

I am hoping this was an autocorrect, and not referring to people like my mother coming to Ellis Island on liberty ships :)

I am hoping this was an autocorrect, and not referring to people like my mother coming to Ellis Island on liberty ships :)

No, some of the immigrants went to the United States on Cunard ships and dressed as immigrants of the time as depicted in the film. The first class passengers dressed more or less like we do on formal nights these days. On my first Cunard Transatlantic in 1964 the way people dressed; us included, would astound you, as would the standards of everything on board. You have to remember you would have been on a re-converted troop ship.

Regards John

Edited by john watson