Summit to be Decommishened?

rleigh

I was reading a current message thread here about a recent cruise on Summit. A comment was made that Summit will be taken out of the fleet in 2018. It was stated as if it was a matter of fact. Did I miss something? Is this true? I know that 2 new ships are on the way, but this doesn't necessarily mean that ships are leaving.

I was reading a current message thread here about a recent cruise on Summit. A comment was made that Summit will be taken out of the fleet in 2018. It was stated as if it was a matter of fact. Did I miss something? Is this true? I know that 2 new ships are on the way, but this doesn't necessarily mean that ships are leaving.

Based upon past practice with Celebrity's rumor mill, do not believe anything until you see a press release.

Based upon past practice with Celebrity's rumor mill, do not believe anything until you see a press release.

Someone who wrote a trip report had dinner with a couple that told them that. They report it like that makes it a fact. LOL. Next someone else starts a thread.......

Hi Everyone,

Agree with the consensus. I believe all of the M-Class ships have had recent investments/updates, so I highly doubt they are going anywhere.... at least until well after the debut of the Edge class. If I had to guess, I wouldn't put anything on my radar until at least 2020, and perhaps longer.

Frankly, I feel the M-Class are absolutely beautiful ships, and would sail on them in a heartbeat.

Perhaps RCCL is transferring her to the Pullmantur line to recompense for the Century to China debacle of a couple of years ago, and for the recall of the Empress to RCI for their as yet delayed Cuba startup. Perhaps Pullmantur's new majority owner believes their owed some extra capacity.

Hi Everyone,

Agree with the consensus. I believe all of the M-Class ships have had recent investments/updates, so I highly doubt they are going anywhere.... at least until well after the debut of the Edge class. If I had to guess, I wouldn't put anything on my radar until at least 2020, and perhaps longer.

Frankly, I feel the M-Class are absolutely beautiful ships, and would sail on them in a heartbeat.

I'm curious about the edge class. Are they in production yet? How big will they be? Any word on where they will be deployed? What special features will they have?

I'm curious about the edge class. Are they in production yet? How big will they be? Any word on where they will be deployed? What special features will they have?

No details beyond the Press release announcing the two ships and subsequent press release announcing two more for a total of four. They will be smaller than S class but bigger than M class. Not in production yet.

HI Andy

I don't see anything happening until a couple of the Edge ships are out.

Correct. But after that the Summit will be bye-bye. We were told by staff that they were already told that it will be going once the new Edge Class ships are in the fleet.

When I suggested that it was a rumor and maybe Summit would stay they said no, we have be told it will leave the Celebrity Fleet.

So take that with a grain of salt.

Correct. But after that the Summit will be bye-bye. We were told by staff that they were already told that it will be going once the new Edge Class ships are in the fleet.

When I suggested that it was a rumor and maybe Summit would stay they said no, we have be told it will leave the Celebrity Fleet.

A very large grain of salt. Sometimes I think the onboard say things just to make converation interesting. Most of what is reported here by those who have spoken to the crew has turned out to be untrue.

Surely at some point the M class ships will be gone, but when they will is conjecture.

Onboard crew on ships don't know. They are often the last to know of corporate decisions. You have to take what they say with a large grain of salt.

Even if corporate has a plan to transfer ships those plans have been changed often before they announce anything, and sometimes they change again after they announce. Market conditions, political conditions and where to deploy ships change. Edge Class is due starting in 2018 and the last ordered as of now 2022. If they do transfer M ships out it is going to be a while and none can say that they will start with Summit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Well I am not sure how great this website is but it has the Summit sailing at least the first half of 2018. It seems it will be sailing from Florida so my question is --- which ship will take its place in Port Liberty?

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Celebrity-Summit-713#itineraries

Celebrity has not opened fleet bookings past April 2018 yet except for Xpedition sailings. So, we the public do not know Celebrity's fleet deployment plans past April 2018.

Well I am not sure how great this website is but it has the Summit sailing at least the first half of 2018. It seems it will be sailing from Florida so my question is --- which ship will take its place in Port Liberty?

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Celebrity-Summit-713#itineraries

A particular ship was mentioned to me on our last cruise to be apparently taking the Bermuda route. I was surprised as I didn't realise Summit was moving. But as others have stated, I've taken it with a pinch of salt until the new schedules are released - possibly just the rumour mill.

A very large grain of salt. Sometimes I think the onboard say things just to make converation interesting. Most of what is reported here by those who have spoken to the crew has turned out to be untrue.

Surely at some point the M class ships will be gone, but when they will is conjecture.

Yes Rich, the classic being years ago when staff on board including officers swore that the Century would be cut in half and stretched.

Just a speculation that when the edge class ships come, perhaps Celebrity will sell the M class ships. While it (summit) was refurbished, the only cabins redone were the penthouse and Royal suites. Some public areas also, but that could help to command a higher price if and when it is sold. We sail on the Summit every August and hope that the destination to Bermuda continues. We didn't enjoy the Quantum and will not sail on the Anthem.

We love the Summit too. We are sailing on the Anthem (first time on RCCL) tomorrow. Why won't you sail on the Anthem?

We sailed Anthem in March and it was fine. We had a good time and we would sail her again. Mostly because Celebrity doesn't have a ship in Bayonne all year long and we get Diamond Perks from being Elite+ with Celebrity.

We are actually looking at the 12 night cruise in February

We love the Summit too. We are sailing on the Anthem (first time on RCCL) tomorrow. Why won't you sail on the Anthem?

The Quantum was extremely crowded. Not nearly enough staff. Lines for everthing We even were given a beeper to wait for a specialty restaurant and the food was Friday's quality. The cruise director was poor. Hot tubs broken, the soft drink machines were empty far too often. I went shopping in one of the shops and thought I was on Saturday night live! The only clerk didn't understand much English couldn't answer my questions just liked at me with a silly smile and kept saying yes! I like RC and will continue to sail on Oasis and Freedom class ships The ships layout was poorly designed as the promenade was cut and not adequate for the parades

Read the reviews. I read them and didn't believe, now I am a believer!

Edited by Cruise a holic

The Quantum was extremely crowded. Not nearly enough staff. Lines for everthing We even were given a beeper to wait for a specialty restaurant and the food was Friday's quality. The cruise director was poor. Hot tubs broken, the soft drink machines were empty far too often. I went shopping in one of the shops and thought I was on Saturday night live! The only clerk didn't understand much English couldn't answer my questions just liked at me with a silly smile and kept saying yes! I like RC and will continue to sail on Oasis and Freedom class ships The ships layout was poorly designed as the promenade was cut and not adequate for the parades

I agree about the Promenade area being crowded at times. There were never any parades on our sailing.

We had good service and the food in the complimentary restaurants was the best food we've ever had on an RCCL cruise. We never had to wait to get into any of the restaurants. We had 7:45 PM reservations every evening.

I don't think anything was broken on our cruise and it was a month after the storm cruise in February.

Edited by CruisingChick