Warning - Port Canaveral Saturday's disaster

scottysje

I was on the Disney Fantasy On Dec 3rd to 10. Embarkation was awful. 4 Cruise ships took off on a Saturday from Port Canaveral (2 Carnival, 1 NCL, 1 DCL). This is TOO MUCH. They are NOT organized to receive that much of a traffic. Everything was delayed. Long waiting lines of car. A Lot of angry people.

Took 2 hours to get to the ship from the rental car to the ship. Not only the Rental car cie (Budget).

On the return, same issues. Took 2 hours to get to the rental car (Avis this time). Want to take a taxi, all the taxis were gone.

Disney representatives on the ground were NOT very helpful and haven’t provide the correct information. Not enough shuttle bus by the rental car companies (this is what I call a NON-Service). It worst than ever (this was my 15th cruises)

At least, the cruise itself was very nice.

For your information…:mad:

I was on the Disney Fantasy On Dec 3rd to 10. Embarkation was awful. 4 Cruise ships took off on a Saturday from Port Canaveral (2 Carnival, 1 NCL, 1 DCL). This is TOO MUCH. They are NOT organized to receive that much of a traffic. Everything was delayed. Long waiting lines of car. A Lot of angry people.

Took 2 hours to get to the ship from the rental car to the ship. Not only the Rental car cie (Budget).

On the return, same issues. Took 2 hours to get to the rental car (Avis this time). Want to take a taxi, all the taxis were gone.

Disney representatives on the ground were NOT very helpful and haven’t provide the correct information. Not enough shuttle bus by the rental car companies (this is what I call a NON-Service). It worst than ever (this was my 15th cruises)

At least, the cruise itself was very nice.

For your information…:mad:

I rather imagine that's the typical Saturday schedule. I believe the Fantasy was late into the port on the 10th, so debarkation was starting after everyone else was already there.

Sorry you had such a hard time.

4 large ships are typical. As noted the Fantasy disembarkation was late, making the traffic worse and the garage more crowded (when they start to empty out at 7am and people aren't scheduled to come in until 10:30 it works better). Taxi service varies--Budget typically runs 2 shuttles on Saturdays provided they don't have a sick driver or an out of service vehicle. My guess is that with the late disembarkation, a lot of people grabbed cabs instead of waiting for a DCL bus or their rental shuttle/car.

It actually runs pretty well when everything goes on schedule.

Sorry that you had a rough time. Yes, a pre-arranged private car can be a nice thing...especially if they don't charge you for their waiting time if your ship is late! But it is not a good value for under 4 people.

I don't think you can blame DCL on a shortage of shuttles or lot's of traffic. This is perhaps a situation where not using a rental car might be a better option (or picking up and/or dropping off at MCO and using the DCL bus...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't been to that port, but at New Orleans and Galveston, Dh drops us all off at the port, a porter takes our luggage right at the curb. He drives to park, then walks back to port (or takes shuttle if one is ready but it's faster to walk than wait) and we get in line board.

This cuts out the shuttles, additional tips to shuttle driver for luggage, wait time for shuttles, luggage on/off shuttles.

For the return trip, porter brought luggage to curb, I waited with kids, Dh went to get the truck. The kids and I and our luggage never deal with shuttles or parking.

I haven't been to that port, but at New Orleans and Galveston, Dh drops us all off at the port, a porter takes our luggage right at the curb. He drives to park, then walks back to port (or takes shuttle if one is ready but it's faster to walk than wait) and we get in line board.

This cuts out the shuttles, additional tips to shuttle driver for luggage, wait time for shuttles, luggage on/off shuttles.

For the return trip, porter brought luggage to curb, I waited with kids, Dh went to get the truck. The kids and I and our luggage never deal with shuttles or parking.

If someone is parking at Port Canaveral this works (although on DCL the walk between the deck and the check in isn't very long) this is old advice. But the car rental places are several miles from the Port along streets with no sidewalks in some parts, so it's not really feasible to walk. We have driven and parked once, taken a limo twice. I personally don't think I would ever go through the hassle of renting a car and dropping it off and then re-renting at the end. I would either keep the car and pay to park at the port or take the cruise shuttle to the airport and grab the car there. Time is money, and I want the least stress possible in my vacation--and am happy to pay a bit more to decrease stress.

There are lots of options depending on your personal choices. When we post, we have a tendency to think only of what mattered to us.

For instance, we've driven to the port (a 16 hour drive) and we've flown. Obviously that makes a HUGE difference in all the following changes. When flying, we've used the DCL bus, had private towncar service, and rented a car. Each of these also engenders choices.

The right choice is what works best for each person. Often it is a matter of which matters most to each cruiser--cost or convenience.

There are lots of options depending on your personal choices. When we post' date=' we have a tendency to think only of what mattered to us.

For instance, we've driven to the port (a 16 hour drive) and we've flown. Obviously that makes a HUGE difference in all the following changes. When flying, we've used the DCL bus, had private towncar service, and rented a car. Each of these also engenders choices.

The right choice is what works best for each person. Often it is a matter of which matters most to each cruiser--cost or convenience.[/quote']

Thankfully, we save money by doing what's convenient, though saving wasn't our intention. I'm only slightly bitter Dh didn't think of dropping us off till our 8th cruise and only because I was pregnant with twins. 😂

Thankfully, we save money by doing what's convenient, though saving wasn't our intention. I'm only slightly bitter Dh didn't think of dropping us off till our 8th cruise and only because I was pregnant with twins. 😂

If dealing with a rental car (or even parking at the garage), dropping the luggage with the porter before parking/returning the car is hugely convenient. If there are two adults in the party, dropping off one adult with the kids is great too.

Since we now have a mobility impaired family member, I'm learning that ease/convenience is more important to us than cost. If I can accomplish both, that's super. But if not, I have to be willing to pay more to make it "work" in our situation. And that's a big change for me....I used to be the "queen of cheap."

PC has successfully increased their business by getting more ships and larger ships. Passenger counts are WAY up.

AND they have begun to realize that some parts of the infrastructure, not all of which are under their control, are not up to the task. In the past there were occasional 4 ship days, right now it is a routine event, 5 ship days happen and even SIX. AND as compared to just a few years ago most ships have significantly increased their pass' count as newer bigger ships replaced older smaller .....

This is why the port has cancelled local events that previously had been held at the port, a VERY popular art festival over Thanksgiving was cancelled at the last minute with the port stating specifically that they feared things would get TOO crowded; ditto a seafood festival ....

This is still a very easy port to get around - on a one ship day ..... but a 4+ ship day and our local car rental offices and mom&pop airport shuttles and taxi companies .... forgetaboutit .... I see too that the popular off site parking places have increased their rates by a couple of dollars a day and are full to the point of overflow ..... One can only suspect that room rates will go up accordingly ....

And let's not forget the newly built container terminal that is operating at a few percent of capacity .... when (if) it gets rolling you could see SIGNIFICANT truck/container traffic added to the mix!

As a local that used to frequent the port side restaurants I've pretty much scratched them off my list for the weekends at least and I'm not alone .... and the owners have commented on the traffic change in the press ....

I don't have a solution, just putting out some facts ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

While I think the OPs post was a tad hyperbolic, when cruising out of PC it does warrant paying attention to number of ships in port and planning accordingly.

PC can handle 4 or 5 ships whenever things go well, but that leaves very little room for disruption if say, a ship comes in late...

Unfortunately, absent major expansions this is just a reality than needs to be dealt with (and this is not the only port with this kind of capacity issue)

If someone is parking at Port Canaveral this works (although on DCL the walk between the deck and the check in isn't very long) this is old advice. But the car rental places are several miles from the Port along streets with no sidewalks in some parts, so it's not really feasible to walk. We have driven and parked once, taken a limo twice. I personally don't think I would ever go through the hassle of renting a car and dropping it off and then re-renting at the end. I would either keep the car and pay to park at the port or take the cruise shuttle to the airport and grab the car there. Time is money, and I want the least stress possible in my vacation--and am happy to pay a bit more to decrease stress.

yes, that's what we always do...we just keep our rental car and park it right at the terminal. yes, we pay for extra days as well as the lot, but it's just way too much of a hassle to get rid of it and then rent another one.

Usually, my dad drops us of at the port and he goes to return the rental. Majority of the time, 1 person can find a seat on the shuttle. Fitting 8-10 people is a pia and you are stuck waiting 10+ min for the next one.

Also this is why getting to the port before your PAT or having one of the early PATs is not always preferred. The later PATs usually have a nice smooth embarkation because the kinks have been worked out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Usually, my dad drops us of at the port and he goes to return the rental. Majority of the time, 1 person can find a seat on the shuttle. Fitting 8-10 people is a pia and you are stuck waiting 10+ min for the next one.

Exactly--you can almost always fit one person with no luggage on the shuttle. You can do this after the cruise as well--leave mom and the kids with the luggage in the passenger pick up area and dad can take the next shuttle to the car place. You might be the 10th family in line, but if you yell out and ask if there is room for a single on the shuttle, there almost always is. And, since he is likely the last one on, he'll be the first one off. No luggage on the shuttle to claim, so he's in the car line first! Dad gets the rental, then swings back to the terminal to pick up the family and luggage...typically in less time than it would take them to get a spot on the shuttle.

They can also coordinate with cell phones--when Dad gets the car, he calls mom to let her know that he's on the way back so there is no way they cross in transit.

PC has successfully increased their business by getting more ships and larger ships. Passenger counts are WAY up.

AND they have begun to realize that some parts of the infrastructure, not all of which are under their control, are not up to the task. In the past there were occasional 4 ship days, right now it is a routine event, 5 ship days happen and even SIX. AND as compared to just a few years ago most ships have significantly increased their pass' count as newer bigger ships replaced older smaller .....

This is why the port has cancelled local events that previously had been held at the port, a VERY popular art festival over Thanksgiving was cancelled at the last minute with the port stating specifically that they feared things would get TOO crowded; ditto a seafood festival ....

This is still a very easy port to get around - on a one ship day ..... but a 4+ ship day and our local car rental offices and mom&pop airport shuttles and taxi companies .... forgetaboutit .... I see too that the popular off site parking places have increased their rates by a couple of dollars a day and are full to the point of overflow ..... One can only suspect that room rates will go up accordingly ....

And let's not forget the newly built container terminal that is operating at a few percent of capacity .... when (if) it gets rolling you could see SIGNIFICANT truck/container traffic added to the mix!

As a local that used to frequent the port side restaurants I've pretty much scratched them off my list for the weekends at least and I'm not alone .... and the owners have commented on the traffic change in the press ....

I don't have a solution, just putting out some facts ....

We still go to Rusty's on Saturday's, but only in the late afternoon--before the dinner rush and after the cruise ship traffic is gone. I do agree though, it's just too congested in that area on a lot of weekends unless you time it just right.

Just to add a little bit to our PC routine.

My dad drops all of us off and the only thing he takes with him is his ID and cell phone. No change, no belt ect. That way he can step thru the metal detector in between the family gaps.

1 time he caught up just before we checked in at the desk.

The other he had to check in by himself this was due to the check in line being short/quick because we were before or in between the busses, luckily it was still quick for him too.

Also, all members of your group are given the same boarding time and we had to wait around anyways. So we took advantage of waiting for him by registering the kids for the kids club and let the kids meet the characters that were walking around.

For debarkation, we haven't tried sending him first because we took the DME or wanted 2 drivers listed on the rental agreement (and our reservation was for 2 cars instead of 1 full sized van). So we didn't want to leave my wife and mother in charge of all of the kids and luggage.

I don't mean to sound insensitive but I was on the December 3rd DCL Fantasy and it was one of the easy embarkation and de-embarkation I've had. I was concerned because we had only sailed out of Miami on our last 7 cruises and Port Everglades twice.

We hadn't sailed out of PC in a few years and my mother uses an electric wheelchair. Therefore I had done some research on the best and most convenient parking options.

Regarding the December 3rd sailing we drove down from the Carolinas the day before and over nighted close to the port. Since my parents had driven their wheelchair accessible SUV I followed them to Florida in my SUV. The morning of the cruise we left our hotel around 10:30 am and drove the 1.5 miles to the port. We encountered traffic at the exits and port entrances but the port police were out directing everyone along.

We needed to drop off my mother in her wheelchair, my three sons and our luggage and then go park. I had prepaid for my parking at the port garage the day before the cruise and during my cruise research I found out that Florida allows free parking for those vehicles with current disabled tags and vehicles that have ramps or lifts for wheelchairs.

When we approached the guards that check cruise docs and ID's my dad explained that my mother is wheelchair bound etc. he was directed to a different entrance. I was given the option to follow him or pull along side him if that makes sense. I stayed behind him even though it took longer.

We off loaded the luggage to a porter, then my mom and her wheelchair and my 3 sons. My father and I went and parked the SUV's and walked back across the crosswalk (breezeway between the parking garage and the port) met up with my mom and sons and then we went inside and went through security. Then we went upstairs to the castaway cay entrance and checked in. After we even waited at the CC management support so I could take care of something. They were already calling our group which I think was 8 and I didn't want to wait in the crazy long line to get my little guy his children's club arm band so we joined the line and got on board. We ate lunch, explored, went by the children's club and got my sons arm band then went to our cabins.

I though dis-embarking would be crazy but again we ate breakfast around 8:00 am. Then waited in long but moving line and got off. Went through customs quickly. Found a porter who took our bags all of the way to the parking garage. I was surprised and thought he would leave the bags at the curb and my dad and I would have to go get the SUV's and then come around pick up my mother, wheelchair, my sons and luggage but nope we left the parking garage and started the drive home.

I was especially surprised considering I had woken up around 6:30 am and I still didn't see land. We arrived back in PC 2 hours late since we we left CC after 8:00 pm waiting for the Coast Guard ER evacuation. I am still praying for whomever that evacuation was for. So sad.

Last year we sailed on a 8 night over Christmas out of Miami and that was crazy. Our driver was trying to find us amid hundreds of people. It was chaos.

But I am sorry your day didn't go as well. Having a disabled member in our party it is best for us to pay alittle more for convenience. It eases her stress and ours too. We just got lucky when I saw the article that my parents shouldn't have to pay for parking since their vehicle is wheelchair accessible and has handicap plates.

We have cruised out of PC in the past and used the hotel shuttles and it was chaotic. I won't do that again.

Nice post, gamecockinnc. The only thing I would add is that not all hangtags/disabled plates qualify for free parking at the port (and this is FL law, not DCL requirements).

Any vehicle that has been modified with a ramp, hand controls, or whatever qualifies. SOME license plates and/or hang tags qualify but not all.

You can find the details here:

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

• 2 weeks later...

skhThis is my home port -- I can see the ships from my office and I've been on Premier Cruise (wow remember them?!) Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney. Our last Disney departure was by far the smoothest of any cruise. As noted, the ship arrived late that day. Sounds like a bad day--this is a great Port

• 11 months later...
Nice post' date=' gamecockinnc. The only thing I would add is that not all hangtags/disabled plates qualify for free parking at the port (and this is FL law, not DCL requirements).

Any vehicle that has been modified with a ramp, hand controls, or whatever qualifies. SOME license plates and/or hang tags qualify but not all.

You can find the details here:

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking[/quote']

Correct I should have listed the requirements such as the vehicle must be outfitted with ramps etc. but I was in a hurry and hoped the link would provide the exact details. Thank you for your post because I would hate for someone not to have read the link I provided and then had to pay if they didn’t meet the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've rented from Avis and dropped off at their North Atlantic location numerous times without any hassle. Picking up upon debarkation worked well too. The shuttles are continuously running and we've only had to wait maybe 10-15 minutes at the most.

I've rented from Avis and dropped off at their North Atlantic location numerous times without any hassle. Picking up upon debarkation worked well too. The shuttles are continuously running and we've only had to wait maybe 10-15 minutes at the most.

THis has been our experience with rental car pick up as well--yes, I've seen one time when the line at the rental outlet was seriously backed up, but this was due to a potential customer who hadn't reserved a vehicle and kept insisting he had. A supervisor spent all the time we stood in line, got our car, and left and she was still trying to make this man understand that printing an ad of the net is not the same as reserving a carl Obviously, if you want a car, do reserve one--these small locations don't have extra vehicles on cruise days.

The other point is that I've been caught in waiting for bus transportation from Port Canaveral, twice to WDW and once to MCO. I suppose these were partly my fault as we stayed on board till about 8:30. On the MCO experience, we were sent to one bus, our international friend to another. After about 30 minutes of sitting on the bus, the people and luggage from the "international" bus were moved to the bus we were on and ultimately departed. To WDW...once we were placed on a bus that went to 6 resorts! THe driver even protested when the CM added the last guests. We were the last off, after 2 hours of driving around WDW plus another hour to WDW. There was no rationale to the order of the resorts--he did NOT hit the EPCOT area resorts, then the MK area resorts....he cris-crossed all around WDW. The other time, we were told to "wait on that bench over there." About 45 minutes later, I reminded the CM that we were still waiting--she said she was working on it. Maybe 10 minutes later, we and another family were placed in a van (maybe 10 passenger seats) and taken to WDW. Note that in each of these incidences, we were off the ship well before the "last minute," and I believe we were kept waiting while they assured that all guests were off and thru Customs! My point is that most of the time, DCL transportation is relatively efficient, but not always!