India visa and cruise ship difficulties.

As a UK citizen, am I right in thinking that the difficulties and the cost of a Tourist Visa when my potential cruise ship enters an Indian port is off putting?

Some very attractive deals which often involve only one Indian port are currently available but I am reluctant to go through the application process and pay rather a lot of money for just one day in India. Am I missing something here?

You've answered your own question - the cost of an Indian visa offsets any savings on a cruise deal. If the cost isn't worth just one day in India you may want to search for another itinerary. There is nothing you can do about it since the visa requirements are set by the Indian government and not by the UK government or by the cruise line.

India requires cruise ship passengers to have a "multiple entry" visa - even if there is only one port on the itinerary - in case some operational problem will cause the ship to make an unscheduled stop.

• 1 month later...

I've just had to apply for a tourist visa.In the states at the moment so it's cost a fortune to send back to the UK for a fast track Indian visa.Only informed 2 weeks ago by Royal Carribean that an e-visa was no good and wouldn't be allowed on the ship without a full visa.Will not be rushing back to India.

Please don't be put off India by officialdom. Do your homework know what is required. I appreciate the cruise company advising me, but I double check anyway.

India us dirty, crowded, confronting BUT it was really a fantastic experience. Sights were marvellous, people friendly and charming. I was hesitant to visit but absolutely loved it, will go again

Indian Visa is required for stops in India - you will be denied boarding for the cruise if no Visa. I have just got an Indian Visa (tourist Visa) for my up-coming cruise with stops in Cochin and Mumbai.

Took two working days at a cost of US$ 53 per Visa. The online application form was a bit problematic since they ask for Indian contact reference!

I did add the RCCL Mombai representative as local contact

Name: PORT HOUSE

Address:

SHOORJI VALLABHDAS MARG

MUMBAI, MAHARASTRA 400 001

phone 022 6656 5656

I was advised to get a multible entry visa for my trip - do not now if it really is necessary but do not harm. Just remember that validity is from the day of issue.

For sure a eVisa is not valid for sea ports

• 11 months later...
As a UK citizen, am I right in thinking that the difficulties and the cost of a Tourist Visa when my potential cruise ship enters an Indian port is off putting?

Some very attractive deals which often involve only one Indian port are currently available but I am reluctant to go through the application process and pay rather a lot of money for just one day in India. Am I missing something here?

Simple! Jus dun get off the ship at India port. You dun have to give up the whole trip due to one port. 😊

Simple! Jus dun get off the ship at India port. You dun have to give up the whole trip due to one port. 😊

Countries requiring visas insist that you have a visa even if you plan to stay on the ship. After all you are in that country when you are docked in port. Cruise lines check that passengers have proper documentation upon embarkation. If you don't you'll be waving goodbye from the dock as the ship sails.

• Like 1

Countries requiring visas insist that you have a visa even if you plan to stay on the ship. After all you are in that country when you are docked in port. Cruise lines check that passengers have proper documentation upon embarkation. If you don't you'll be waving goodbye from the dock as the ship sails.

The answer that comes from the visa officer of the India embassy, visa application centre and the cruise ship personnel here is different from yours. “No visa required if you stay onboard” was the only reply they provide. You are right to say we dock at their port, mine will be New Mangalore Port (3/3/18), cruise line is going to check our documentation on 24/2/18 and we will sail after checking in but wont get off ship into India on 3/3/18 when our ship docks. We have no India visa and we are leaving in 2 days’ time.

A friend of mine recently did a cruise from Dubai to Singapore with a single stop in India (not sure where that was but was with Princess) and he had no choice. If you didn’t have a visa, you couldn’t sail and it mattered not if you stayed on the ship.

A friend of mine recently did a cruise from Dubai to Singapore with a single stop in India (not sure where that was but was with Princess) and he had no choice. If you didn’t have a visa, you couldn’t sail and it mattered not if you stayed on the ship.

Did u mean he was not allow to board at Dubai and lost the entire cruise simply due to the absence of an Indian Visa?

Did u mean he was not allow to board at Dubai and lost the entire cruise simply due to the absence of an Indian Visa?

The new eVisa might have 'changed the rules' - see this link

However, I do have the same understanding as les37b "Even if you stay on board ship, you must be in possession of a valid tourist visa to enter India". But might be changed with eVisa - check with your cruise line.

The new eVisa might have 'changed the rules' - see this link

However, I do have the same understanding as les37b "Even if you stay on board ship, you must be in possession of a valid tourist visa to enter India". But might be changed with eVisa - check with your cruise line.

Staying onboard the ship dun even need an evisa. Jus board with no visa.

Since India requires a Visa, you will not be allowed to board the ship if you have no visa. Doesn't matter if you are planning to stay aboard or not.

Since India requires a Visa, you will not be allowed to board the ship if you have no visa. Doesn't matter if you are planning to stay aboard or not.

I will update you this sat 24/2 at the cruise centre to prove your reply above is inaccurate.

No, you’ll be denied boarding, as already stated. If you’re denied boarding because you didn’t have this visa, you’ll lose all your cruise fare.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/india/articles/visa-for-a-cruise-to-india/

No, you’ll be denied boarding, as already stated. If you’re denied boarding because you didn’t have this visa, you’ll lose all your cruise fare.

Be patient and wait for me to update you at the cruise centre to prove you wrong on sat, 24/2. I will definitely sail.

Be patient and wait for me to update you at the cruise centre to prove you wrong on sat, 24/2. I will definitely sail.

We look forward for your update on Saturday, however I do believe that rules has changed for New Mangalore Port since introduction of eVisa - these eVisa rules will not apply to all other indian ports.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by hallasm

We look forward for your update on Saturday, however I do believe that rules has changed for New Mangalore Port since introduction of eVisa - these eVisa rules will not apply to all other indian ports.

Yes definitely! I also read abt evisa for NMP is acceptable and I will try to find out onboard w other cruisers about that too. Will update that once I get wifi at Port klang or langkawi if I manage to get it.

Interested in the outcome of this situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Me too and I will update you on the spot after checking in this sat. My time here is 0000 now. So u can see the time difference of mine and urs to see roughly when I will update here.