Anyone flown Air Canada Rouge Premium Economy?

hiccups

We booked tickets for a Rouge flight in the premium economy section of the plane (rows 1-4 on a 767). Normally we go with bulkhead seats, but some comments on Seat Guru and Flyer Talk said that the bulkhead row has less legroom than the other rows. Right now I've got us in Row 2, so we'll have the first row reclining into our space, but as my DH says, we'll be reclining into Row 3's space :)

Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience/recommendations on seating for Premium Economy.

I find it acceptable, more like regular economy on mainline or West Jet. Significantly better than Rouge regular economy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Any thoughts on bulkhead row 1 versus rows 2 or 3? We're staying away from row 4 since supposedly they don't recline as much.

Guess it's too late to suggest you avoid Rouge all together?

We flew Rouge to Barcelona in Rouge Plus (rows 12-15) and found the legroom very generous. You should be OK in 2 or 3 and if my memory is correct even in 4.

Other than the legroom the Rouge product is very regrettable. Good luck... don't forget to download the Rouge audio/visual app and charge up your iPad (not that any of the shows/movies will be worth watching).

Guess it's too late to suggest you avoid Rouge all together?

We flew Rouge to Barcelona in Rouge Plus (rows 12-15) and found the legroom very generous. You should be OK in 2 or 3 and if my memory is correct even in 4.

Other than the legroom the Rouge product is very regrettable. Good luck... don't forget to download the Rouge audio/visual app and charge up your iPad (not that any of the shows/movies will be worth watching).

I've read the reviews, hence why we booked the Premium :) We were looking at $800 more each, plus multiple stops, to fly premium on any other airline, so we decided to try it.

Premium supposedly offers free iPads, and I've read they now have charging stations between the seats. At worst, I'll catch up on my reading, I suppose!

Let us know what you think of Rouge premium. At this point I've vowed never to fly Rouge again but may reconsider if Premium gets good reviews. My initial thought is that premium Rouge basically brings you up to normal economy (maybe a little higher). I love the premium seating offered on Air France and doubt Rouge comes close to it.

Let us know what you think of Rouge premium. At this point I've vowed never to fly Rouge again but may reconsider if Premium gets good reviews. My initial thought is that premium Rouge basically brings you up to normal economy (maybe a little higher). I love the premium seating offered on Air France and doubt Rouge comes close to it.

Will do! Our last flight we paid an extra $400 to get premium economy on United, and all we got was the bulkhead seats. Hoping for a bit better on Rouge, but I'm with you, doubtful it's like any European airline.

I'll keep an eye out for you post back too (pressure's on :). I'd like to know about PE on Rouge

I said "never" and then like so many before, ate those words and flew A/C Rouge this Spring. By mistake (too boring of a story.)

I was very concerned about leg room but it was only for a few hour so thought I carry-on. I paid (too much) to buy seats and was pleasantly surprised when boarding to realize our seats had been re-assigned to an exit row.

I tried sitting in a regular seat and knees touch the seat back. If the pax ahead were to recline their seat it would have been terrible. So now I know "no Rouge for me" unless I want to pay (too much) for exit row or maybe PE. I have heard it is not bad (which is also to not to say "good". )

Looking forward to how your flight is.

Hiccups,

You paid $400 to get Economy Plus on United -- not Premium Economy (which they don't have). Premium is a separate cabin and class of service that some non-US airlines offer. Economy Plus offered by United is not a separate class or cabin. It is simply seats with a few extra inches of leg room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It infuriates me when people claim they fly Premium Economy on US carriers that don't offer that service! United doesn't offer Premium Economy!!!

Have only flown Air Canada regular PE , never Rouge. Won't do it!

As an aside be careful of planning your trips on Air Canada based on aircraft. I did and got burned. Two different international flights, from two different cities Air Canada's website showed 787 service . Both ended up being 777 service! When I questioned the flight attendants, they laughed and said "you believed the website, these flights have always been 777-300ER!"

I won't fly Rouge, but if I had a gun to my head it would only be in Premium Economy '

Hiccups,

You paid $400 to get Economy Plus on United -- not Premium Economy (which they don't have). Premium is a separate cabin and class of service that some non-US airlines offer. Economy Plus offered by United is not a separate class or cabin. It is simply seats with a few extra inches of leg room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My bad... I didn't recall that's what they called it; I just remembered that it was still economy, but a step above regular. Sorry for "infuriating" posters with my incorrect memory. Not everyone flies enough to remember the distinctions.

Edited by hiccups

Will do! Our last flight we paid an extra $400 to get premium economy on United, and all we got was the bulkhead seats. Hoping for a bit better on Rouge, but I'm with you, doubtful it's like any European airline.

Bulkhead seats in E+ on UA aren't the best, IMO. I avoid Rouge but agree reviews state PE is not on par w/ PE on other carriers, but better than economy.

My bad... I didn't recall that's what they called it; I just remembered that it was still economy, but a step above regular. Sorry for "infuriating" posters with my incorrect memory. Not everyone flies enough to remember the distinctions.

How about saying that you paid $400 to get seats with more legroom? Accurate. And you aren't making any assumptions about classes or fare basis.

There are specific terms of art in the airline world. Connection, stopover, non-stop, direct, and more. Premium economy is one of those, and like the others, it has a specific meaning.

It infuriates me when people claim they fly Premium Economy on US carriers that don't offer that service! United doesn't offer Premium Economy!!!

Have only flown Air Canada regular PE , never Rouge. Won't do it!

As an aside be careful of planning your trips on Air Canada based on aircraft. I did and got burned. Two different international flights, from two different cities Air Canada's website showed 787 service . Both ended up being 777 service! When I questioned the flight attendants, they laughed and said "you believed the website, these flights have always been 777-300ER!"

I won't fly Rouge, but if I had a gun to my head it would only be in Premium Economy '

May I ask what international flights and from what cities? We're flying from Vancouver to Delhi in Nov and the itinerary states it will be a 787.

I bet your sorry to have "offended" the Experts....

geezzz, everyone lighten up. Most of us "non-experts" understood the question that was being asked.

If something that minor offends you perhaps it's time to read Don't Sweat The Small Stuff. Remember, it was a QUESTION.... not incorrect advice to a fellow forum member.

My flights were Toronto to Copenhagen and London to Toronto. Air Canada's website listed both as 787. Not so.

Did the first BC, the second PE. Since the second originated out of LHR, the LHR tax on BC made PE much more attractive. Neither were Rouge Flights. When I booked the flights ita likewise showed the flights as 787. They weren't.

Several of we posters attempt to give helpful accurate responses to questions. Words and terms have specific meanings in the industry. Premium Economy is a specific class of service offer on some flights by some international carriers. Confusing PE to Comfort Plus, Economy Plus, or other domestic carriers terminology is a huge misrepresentation of service. For those that have only flown US domestic carriers I might understand the lack of distinction. However, it's almost similar to calling chopped beef a ribeye steak.

Edited by pinotlover

Several of we posters attempt to give helpful accurate responses to questions. Words and terms have specific meanings in the industry.

At the risk of Sweating The Small Stuff.... starting your post with the words "It infuriates me" is in no way helpful....

Yes Rick, I understand. Words have no meaning, meanings have no words. It's only small stuff . I flew

BC and this is the service I got! Well really it was only Economy, but let's not sweat the small stuff, none of those words mean anything! I bought an Economy ticket and, well actually it was a Basic Economy ticket, but we can't sweat the small stuff, it's all the same.

Yep, see the small stuff all the time!

Yes Rick, I understand. Words have no meaning, meanings have no words. It's only small stuff . I flew

BC and this is the service I got! Well really it was only Economy, but let's not sweat the small stuff, none of those words mean anything! I bought an Economy ticket and, well actually it was a Basic Economy ticket, but we can't sweat the small stuff, it's all the same.

Yep, see the small stuff all the time!

At the risk of Sweating The Small Stuff.... starting your post with the words "It infuriates me" is in no way helpful....

and

Remember, it was a QUESTION

Four thoughts:

First, it may help to get across that there are significant differences between differently labeled products, and that conflating them only makes giving accurate information difficult.

Second, it's an accurate representation of pinotlover's exasperation. At least pinot's feelings have basis in fact, as opposed to some of the emotional, uninformed rants we experience around here.

Third, it wasn't a question - it was a statement of fact by hiccups in post #7. Go back and read it and tell me where the question was.

Finally, why should it bother you? It is in your eyes, to quote your own words, "the small stuff".

we have flown with Rouge but just to Fla

the Premium rouge was like bus on AC flights

the food was slightly less appealing then regular AC flight in BUS but the seats were fine

I think we were in row 3 or 4

it was fine

I would not fly on Rouge in econ they looked horrible back there

Edited by LHT28

Rogue Premium Economy on the 767 is the same type of seats that would have been sold as business class 10-15 years ago. Very similar to domestic business class on Air Canada and what the US airlines call First Class on their domestic routes.

I don't know why people are trying to avoid this product. It is a nice seat, on par with Premium Economy on AC wide body aircraft. The meal service is similar to a domestic business class meal. With a price point that is quite a bit less than international business class on routes that are predominantly to leisure destinations.

Rouge in inflight service is quite good. The problem with rouge is the economy hard product (the seats) it is dense as they are competition on most of these routes is AirTransat.

I just got off a united aircraft. What they offer as there is enhanced economy is no where near as nice as premium economy on Air Canada or Rouge.

If you are on AC44, both ITA and ExpertFlyer show that as a 787.

Actually I should have been more specific. It a United flight (UA 8095) being serviced by AC. I was able to pick my seats on the AC web site but just now while I was checking to see if the AC flight number was shown I noticed the aircraft listed was 789. Is that an upgraded/updated 787?

Actually I should have been more specific. It a United flight (UA 8095) being serviced by AC. I was able to pick my seats on the AC web site but just now while I was checking to see if the AC flight number was shown I noticed the aircraft listed was 789. Is that an upgraded/updated 787?

787-900.

GDS systems can only take three characters for the aircraft, so the various versions get different coding. 752 is a 757-200, 753 is a 757-300. 332 is an A330-200, while a 333 is an A330-300. As so on.