Shrinking Cabins on QM2

*helena*

I have noticed on the US Cunard site that the size of Cabins D2 - D8 have been reduced from 194 sq.ft to 155 sq.ft (D1 Atrium view remains at 194 sq.ft), does anyone know if this is happening on the present re-fit??

I would imagine the purpose is to create more cabins.........unless someone knows differently!

I have noticed on the US Cunard site that the size of Cabins D2 - D8 have been reduced from 194 sq.ft to 155 sq.ft (D1 Atrium view remains at 194 sq.ft), does anyone know if this is happening on the present re-fit?? I would imagine the purpose is to create more cabins.........unless someone knows differently!

Helena,

I very much doubt that new cabins are being added during the refit - you certainly couldn't do that by stealing a few square feet from other cabins here and there. The UK brochure shows D cabins as 'approx from 162 - 194 sq ft' - so I guess they are 'lowballing it' so everyone gets a 'bigger' cabin than they think they booked - and can't complain about it being 'smaller than advertised'.

Peter

It seems they finally adjust their marketing to the truth. As one can see just by looking at the diagrams and photos of inside versus outside cabins it was never possible that both had the same size of 194 sq.ft..

Somewhere on this or another board the issue of the overstated size had been discussed earlier. Thus, no more cabins, just the indirect admitance of giving wrong information until now.

It seems they finally adjust their marketing to the truth. As one can see just by looking at the diagrams and photos of inside versus outside cabins it was never possible that both had the same size of 194 sq.ft..

Somewhere on this or another board the issue of the overstated size had been discussed earlier. Thus, no more cabins, just the indirect admitance of giving wrong information until now.

Hi carlmm, they certainly had me fooled & I'm normally a 'doubting thomas', goes to show that 'paper never refuses ink'

Thanks Helena

This is exactly correct. The inside cabins have NEVER been 194 sq ft, and Cunard has misrepresented these all along. They finally have the correct square footage.

I might also add the atrium cabins are not 194 sq ft either ... I believe they are the same size as a standard inside, but laid out differently due to the window.

Ernie

Helena,

I very much doubt that new cabins are being added during the refit - you certainly couldn't do that by stealing a few square feet from other cabins here and there. The UK brochure shows D cabins as 'approx from 162 - 194 sq ft' - so I guess they are 'lowballing it' so everyone gets a 'bigger' cabin than they think they booked - and can't complain about it being 'smaller than advertised'.

Peter

hi peter could you point me to where in brochure it states inside cabins from 162 - 194 sq ft i can only find 194 sq ft (brochure i have is cunard jan 2005 - apr 2006 received it jan 2005 )

thanks

sean

hi peter could you point me to where in brochure it states inside cabins from 162 - 194 sq ft i can only find 194 sq ft (brochure i have is cunard jan 2005 - apr 2006 received it jan 2005 )

thanks

sean

UK Cunard 2006 Brochure, p 126, or here http://www.cunard.co.uk/QM2/default.asp?Active=onboard&sub=accommodations1 on the UK web site

UK Cunard 2006 Brochure, p 126, or here http://www.cunard.co.uk/QM2/default.asp?Active=onboard&sub=accommodations1 on the UK web site

thank you peter

my brochure jan 2005/apr2006 page 126 states 194 sq ft (d6-d1)approx

seems they changed sizes in the later brochure, looking at what other posters say it looks like the inside cabins were never 194sq ft, oh well i best get on a diet.

cheers sean

thank you peter

my brochure jan 2005/apr2006 page 126 states 194 sq ft (d6-d1)approx

seems they changed sizes in the later brochure, looking at what other posters say it looks like the inside cabins were never 194sq ft, oh well i best get on a diet.

cheers sean

Yes, those inside cabins were never 194 sq ft. You information also depends on which version of the brochure you have. The US or UK version. Amazingly, the main US 2006 brochure still lists those inside cabins as 194 sq feet. On the more recent 2007 US World Cruise brochure, the dimensions for standard cabins have been removed all together for QM2 (yet they still exist for QE2). Odd.

Ernie

On our recent QM2 trip we thought that the D4 cabin we had was no bigger than the IA/IB/IC grade cabin that we have on Aurora. The sizes stipulated would be more like the CA/CB/CC grade staterooms on Aurora and they certainly were not as big as them. The Sq footage for the P & O cabins are as follows:- IA/IB/IC approx 211 sq feet including balcony (They never used to include the balcony in the sq footage!!) and the CA/CB/CC grade cabin is 246 sq feet including balcony. I have to say though that the balcony on the QM2 did seem a little deeper!!

Elaine

Hi,

Anyone who has looked into the inside cabins can see immediately that they were never the size of the outside cabins. First, there is NO couch in the insides as there is NO room for a couch. When you enter you have the closets on one side and the bathroom door on the other and then you walk straight into the bed, literally.

I always wondered why the size was not shown accurately from the beginning but it is nice to see they are showing the accurate information now.

Bon voyage

Well, this thread definitely validates my impression. We were in a hull balcony in March 2004 and thoroughly enjoyed it and in May 2004, we opted for an Atrium stateroom. Even though the literature we received states the inside dimensions are the same, I felt the Atrium stateroom was much smaller.

According to the US Cunard site, inside cabins (D2-D8) are 155 sq ft while the atrium cabins are 161 sq ft. I assume this is correct.

They say that the outsides (C grades) are 194 sq ft. I believe they are larger, or at least most of them are. As I recall (but don't hold me to it), 194 sq ft is the size of a balcony cabin (B grades) without the balcony.

I am glad that at least Cunard are now acknowledging (albiet sporadically) that the standard insides are not the same size.

Of course the copy on the US site still talks about "The smallest [cabin] measuring almost 200 square feet"...

Ah well, this sort of thing has never been Cunard's strong point...

Just yesterday I received a few promo pieces from Cunard. One is a 2006 Europe "brochure" ... which is really advertising for a select number of Europe voyages with incentives to book (such as free gratuities , reduced deposit, 5% bonus savings). The others are a QM2 "Insiders Guide" and a brochure called "Live the Grill Life" which is about "Grill Class" on 2006 QM2 transatlantic sailings.

Anyway, getting to my point .. in the Insider's guide, cabin dimensions are listed. Inside is shown as 163 sq foot. The Atrium cabin is not listed. Outsides are at 194 sq feet, but as Doug mentioned they are closer to 269 sq feet since those most midship have the interior space of a hull cabin/balcony combined.

Ernie

Archived