10% off when onboard, for booking your next Disney cruise?

May B

I've read on these boards that a guest can book a future cruise while onboard, to receive 10% off. I asked a Disney reservationist and she said, only on selected cruises.

How common is it to see this offer when you're onboard?

I've read on these boards that a guest can book a future cruise while onboard, to receive 10% off. I asked a Disney reservationist and she said, only on selected cruises.

If you book a future cruise while onboard, you get a 10% discount on the cruise fare, onboard credit ($100 for cruises shorter than 7 nights; $200 for cruises 7 nights and longer). And, for cruises of 7 nights and longer a 10% deposit (regular deposit for cruises is 20%).

Yes, there are blackout dates, but not many. You'll be told if the cruise you are looking to book (if you select a specific cruise at that time) is a blackout one or not.

And you must take the future cruise within 24 months of booking it.

You can either book a cruise while you are on board or purchase a placeholder, good toward a future cruise in the next 2 years. There is always a person selling at the future cruise desk. But be clear--there are blackout dates where you cannot get the discount. And it is 10% off the "cruise fare" portion of the ticket only. Your total payment for the cruise includes the cruise fare, "government taxes and fees" (that's mainly port charges), and "non-commissionable items" (whatever that is.) How much of the cost is taxes and fees depends on the cruise.

I'm only explaining this because people get angry at times, thinking that if their cruise cost $5000, they should be getting $500 off, when in reality they are likely to get more like $400 off. And, as above, you'll also get an onboard credit based on the length of the cruise.

It IS a good deal. It used to be a better deal. Even if you have no immediate cruise plans, buying the placeholder is worthwhile. If you book another cruise, great. If not, your money will be fully refunded.

I want to add, even if you don't see a Disney cruise in your near future, book the dummy cruise anyway. It's only a $200 ($250? I keep forgetting.) deposit, fully refundable. I made the mistake of not doing it in October, being shortsighted. Already had a cruise planned for this coming September and didn't think we'd be cruigin again within the 24-month window. Will now we are thinking of booking a cruise in June 2019 when the dates come out and I truly wish I had booked onboard and had that 10% discount. Won't make that mistake again.

I want to add, even if you don't see a Disney cruise in your near future, book the dummy cruise anyway. It's only a $200 ($250? I keep forgetting.) deposit, fully refundable. I made the mistake of not doing it in October, being shortsighted. Already had a cruise planned for this coming September and didn't think we'd be cruigin again within the 24-month window. Will now we are thinking of booking a cruise in June 2019 when the dates come out and I truly wish I had booked onboard and had that 10% discount. Won't make that mistake again.

Onboard placeholder booking is now $250 per room.

The only negative to booking a placeholder is that you've tied up a small amount of money in the purchase. If you do use it, you get some great benefits. If you don't use it, your money is fully refunded.

With the skimpy interest my bank pays, tying up $250 for two years might have been a loss of $.01.

The only negative to booking a placeholder is that you've tied up a small amount of money in the purchase. If you do use it' date=' you get some great benefits. If you don't use it, your money is fully refunded.

With the skimpy interest my bank pays, tying up $250 for two years might have been a loss of $.01.[/quote']

I totally agree, and I understand sometimes you're "sure" of something but it turns out you were mistaken. That's definitely how to learn a lesson the hard way -- and now you've reminded a bunch of us at Cruise Critic, too. We thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
How does the credit work if you usually use a travel agent and get a credit from the travel agent. Can you transfer the reservation to a travel agent afterwards and get the Disney benefit (10% but OBC) plus whatever the travel agent offers?

If you purchase a future cruise certificate, you can make the booking with your TA and have the certificate applied. If you make the reservation on board, you can assign it to the TA at the time of the booking or within 30 days after you book. In either case, it has nothing to do with getting OBC or other benefits from a TA; that is between you and the TA. You'll still get all the benefits from DCL and in addition will get whatever benefits the TA offers.

We do it all the time.

It depends if you're a "book in advance" type of family or if you're a FL resident. If you're a FL resident you can do much better than 10% (20-30% depending on the sailing), with the *minor* drawback of not being able to book until ~60 days from sailing, which, again, not a big deal if you're a FL resident and can drive to port. However, if you travel from out of state or out of the country, the on-board booking is a pretty decent deal and in my experience other than the HIGHEST demand of travel season the discounts and incentives are widely available.