Tokyo - what to do before and between cruises

Pacificana

We are going to take two B2B cruises from Tokyo in June. We have never been to Japan before.

We are arriving at Haneda early afternoon the day before the first cruise and staying at Intercontinental Tokyo Bay. What sightseeing can be done on that day?

Also, we will have a few hours between the cruises - arriving at 8am and departing at 3pm. Same questions - is there anything not too far away from the port that would be interesting to see?

We do have a whole day of sightseeing scheduled with a volunteer guide in Tokyo on the day of arrival from our second cruise, so the major sights that might be far away from the port will be covered later.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

What do you like to do?

Major sightseeing will be pretty limited because of time, and how tired you may be from a however+ hour flight?

The port is in Yokohama, not actually Tokyo, so with the time between cruises you will be limited to things in that area mostly. Never been, but I have been told that the noodle museum is very cool. You also have a museum for the Japanese Coast Guard nearby, or you could do one of the Yokohama Bay cruises.

Actually, our ship is sailing from Harumi in Tokyo, not Yokohama. It was a surprise to me, too. When I first saw those cruises, the itinerary stated "Yokohama", and only by accident, thanks to a guide from Yokohama, I found out that we are not sailing from there. Now Costa confirmed it, so I have to change plans.

I understand that time is going to be limited. We just want to go somewhere and do something vs. staying at a hotel or onboard. Thanks!

The Tokyo Bay IC is a nice hotel, but it's in a rather sterile office area. However, it is connected to the Takeshiba station of the Yurikamome line. Go out of the hotel on the floor above the main exit (I think it's level 3) and turn right along the elevated walkway, then go left at the end and you'll see the station. If it's raining, you can do most of this inside--go through the area that's all about weddings and you'll be in the lobby of the adjacent office building and can exit one of its doors. There's a convenience store and a couple of restaurants in that lobby area.

Take the train 2 stops to Shimbashi (the terminus). It'll be easiest if you pick up a couple of Suica cards in Haneda (before taking a limmo bus to the hotel) as then you don't have to figure out how to buy tickets: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Shimbashi is major "salaryman" area, full of restaurants and bars. Most people who've not been to Japan before are fascinated by the daily life and you can see that here. https://www.japanvisitor.com/tokyo-area-guides/shinbashi

Alternatively, walk across the street and transfer to the Yamanote line, which will take you almost anywhere in Tokyo (plus there are about 6 other lines at Shimbashi). Tokyo station itself is the second stop. Asakusa (temple, street market, transfer from Yamanote to Ginza line at Kanda) and Ueno (museums) are other popular destinations.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3054_tokyo.html

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3004.html

On your turnaround day, you could just explore the area around the port. It's called Odaiba and is full of stuff: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html . Or you could take the water bus up the Sumida river to Asakusa.

BTW. There's a ferry dock right by the Intercontinental. I've never investigated where it goes. The weather in June will be hot and rainy (but better than July). Don't try to do too much.

Edited by someotherguy
Added IC ferry dock

Someotherguy gave some really good suggestions of what to do in the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay area (Minato-ku). We stayed there once (IC) and also the hotel next door another time and liked that area. With the Yurikamomi Line Takeshiba station right outside the hotel and the subway Daimon Station and the Hamamatsucho train station walking distance away, you can get to almost anywhere you want for the pre-cruise day. The Himarikyu Gardens is one stop up or you can even walk there. That was what we did. We also took the same train to Odaiba. An interesting boat ride to Asakusa with stops near the Intercontinental or Himarikyu Gardens. I have some photos on my blog if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at the IC Tokyo Bay for 3 days in Sept after our cruise. I would welcome all of your input and looking at your blog. Thanks in advance! Steve

Someotherguy gave some really good suggestions of what to do in the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay area (Minato-ku). We stayed there once (IC) and also the hotel next door another time and liked that area. With the Yurikamomi Line Takeshiba station right outside the hotel and the subway Daimon Station and the Hamamatsucho train station walking distance away, you can get to almost anywhere you want for the pre-cruise day. The Himarikyu Gardens is one stop up or you can even walk there. That was what we did. We also took the same train to Odaiba. An interesting boat ride to Asakusa with stops near the Intercontinental or Himarikyu Gardens. I have some photos on my blog if you are interested.